• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Where's the excitement??

let me start by saying this.....

if the iPhone 5 was out wouldn't everyone be advertising it? this is one of the only phones that is gonna give apple problems. and you know this by what is going on overseas.

i don't understand why no one is PUSHING this phone!!
wire-fly is the only one that has this phone on the #1 rotators.
you wouldn't even know that this absolutely stunning phone has even hit the streets. I didn't hear about anyone waiting in lines for this phone either. But i'm sure there was! I know there are people really wanting this device, i know i do! it just seems like everyone is hush-hush about it and i just don't get it!

what do you think, am i wrong?

let me start by saying this.....

if the iPhone 5 was out wouldn't everyone be advertising it? this is one of the only phones that is gonna give apple problems. and you know this by what is going on overseas.

i don't understand why no one is PUSHING this phone!!
wire-fly is the only one that has this phone on the #1 rotators.
you wouldn't even know that this absolutely stunning phone has even hit the streets. I didn't hear about anyone waiting in lines for this phone either. But i'm sure there was! I know there are people really wanting this device, i know i do! it just seems like everyone is hush-hush about it and i just don't get it!

what do you think, am i wrong?

It's on sprint, not verizon. Verizon users are more numerous, ditto for at&t, combined they have four times the subscribers of sprint, the shouting for the phone will be less for that reason. At least until others get their versions, and verizon has zero reason to mention this phone, after all, they got the bionic!

its about numbers and carriers. The droid bionic forums on this very site will continue to be more populated and numerous than the epic 4g touch forums, despite that phone being the clearly inferior device, slower, blockier, worse battery life from reports, etc. etc.

Does not matter, so many people either don't want to or can't because of coverage reasons switch from verizon and so they are stuck with the higher prices and inferior phones, and they have to lap it up and say thank you.

This is clearly not an issue of merits. For the next couple of months at least, including a potential iphone 5 release, the gsii will likely be the BEST phone on the planet as an all around device. But that does not matter if you are an apple fanboy or don't carry it yet or ever as a carrier.

EDIT: there is also the miscalculation by sprint about what phone ought to be in the cat bird seat, they seemed to be going off past success with the evo 4g with their greater pimpage of the evo 3d, a phone that was lackluster and did not make the same impact, it falls fall short of a galaxy s ii class phone, like every phone on the market at the moment does. Remember the sprint showcase of the echo? that dual screen phone? Talk about a bridge to nowhere.

Samsung is making the nicest fastest hardware now, they just are, and sprint misread the shifts in perception. The aggressiveness in hardware design of Samsung is precisely why apple wants them disqualified from competition, apple like competition, so long as its bad and does not best them.

Upvote 0
I did notice that this phone was not advertised as much as the original Epic. I wonder if this was because of money issues or they want to wait for something bigger. I can safely bet that, that something "bigger", is the iPhone 5 or 4S. It is sad, but they will advertise a most likely inferior phone, but it's all about the Benjamins baby...

Upvote 0
Yeah I hardly heard of this and happened to catch the commercial for it yesterday morning. My wife still had a blackberry and I've been wanting to get her a new phone for a while so we checked it out at sprint and she loved it so we picked it up. I let her use my upgrade but she is eligible nov 1st and unless something else comes along I might pick one up then too. I can't believe how much faster it works than my EVO!

Upvote 0
I did notice that this phone was not advertised as much as the original Epic. I wonder if this was because of money issues or they want to wait for something bigger. I can safely bet that, that something "bigger", is the iPhone 5 or 4S. It is sad, but they will advertise a most likely inferior phone, but it's all about the Benjamins baby...
IMO, you've answered your own question, they're saving the ad budget for the iPhone next month. Samsung may have the hardware, but Apple still wins on mystique. Sprint is betting that the masses will still flock to the mystique.

Upvote 0
Since it took soooo freakin long for the Galaxy 2 phones to come to the US all the excitement for the device went out the door long time ago. Sprint is saving it's advertising pennies for the stupid Iphone launching in October.

Oh well, I got rid of my HTC EVO for the Epic Touch on Friday and have been extremely happy since! I WILL NEVER BUY ANOTHER HTC PIECE OF JUNK AGAIN! My EVO had paint chips, light leaking from the screen, and overall bad quality and design. I guess I shouldn't be surprised since it is a Chinese product after all.

Upvote 0
Hope Sprint IS NOT betting all their money and hopes on the Iphone because it's going to be a loss leader for the company.

Who cares about all the new customers coming over to Sprint because of the Iphone IF the 3G and 4G network sucks? I live and own companies in the NW suburbs of IL and the network coverage here stinks!! Spotty 4G coverage and very slow 3G connections have really been frustrating.

I cannot imagine all the pre madonna Iphone users coming from At&t and signing on with Sprint only to find out the network is slower than a snail!

Upvote 0
Since it took soooo freakin long for the Galaxy 2 phones to come to the US all the excitement for the device went out the door long time ago. Sprint is saving it's advertising pennies for the stupid Iphone launching in October.

Oh well, I got rid of my HTC EVO for the Epic Touch on Friday and have been extremely happy since! I WILL NEVER BUY ANOTHER HTC PIECE O00F JUNK AGAIN! My EVO had paint chips, light leaking from the screen, and overall bad quality and design. I guess I shouldn't be surprised since it is a Chinese product after all.

Agree 100%. The Evo 3d would be just sitting in my pocket and start heating up like crazy! HTC is definitely making the worst Android phones right now. Sense is also overrated.

Upvote 0
Hope Sprint IS NOT betting all their money and hopes on the Iphone because it's going to be a loss leader for the company.

Who cares about all the new customers coming over to Sprint because of the Iphone IF the 3G and 4G network sucks? I live and own companies in the NW suburbs of IL and the network coverage here stinks!! Spotty 4G coverage and very slow 3G connections have really been frustrating.

I cannot imagine all the pre madonna Iphone users coming from At&t and signing on with Sprint only to find out the network is slower than a snail!
Just my opinion, but I would say start imagining. Look at the signs:

• No more one year upgrades. Why? iPhone costs more, therefore more expensive to subsidize.

• No more 30 day exchange. Why? iPhone drops next month.

• Pure speculation on my part, but I would not be surprised to see unlimited data be the next thing to go. Draw the iPhone masses over for the data plan, then throttle it.

I'm not guaranteeing any of this, just watching the signs and the trends and extrapolating. Please don't shoot the messenger.

Upvote 0
Because its on Sprint! And they're Data has been suffering terribly as of late.

When I got the EVO last year, the Hype was Gigantic, and there were lines at every Sprint store, as well as at Best Buy and Radio Shack. Alot of things have changed in a year, and Sprints data service, both 3G and 4G has been taking a huge beating lately.

Hopefully once they drop they're 4G LTE things will turn around.

Upvote 0
IMO, you've answered your own question, they're saving the ad budget for the iPhone next month. Samsung may have the hardware, but Apple still wins on mystique. Sprint is betting that the masses will still flock to the mystique.

This.

I'd guess that apple struck a deal where they required sprint to spend X amount of dollars to co-market the iphone when it drops. Which makes a good deal of sense since it is more of a consumer focused device and needs to be sold to the general public.

A phone like the SGS2 will sell to enthusiasts regardless if sprint/samsung market it much or not. It also sells itself just sitting next to other smartphones at any sprint smartphone kiosk since the display (the size and the vividness) sells the phone.

Upvote 0
I'm still using the OG Droid on Verizon I purchased nearly two years ago. My contract with them is up in November. I am SO incredibly tempted to get this phone! I was drooling waiting for it on Verizon and then those bozo's decided not to get it. And now I see it's landed on Sprint and I'm sooo tempted to jump ship to Sprint now. I know the Prime,Galaxy Nexus whatever it's supposed to be is "coming" to Verizon,ya know...just like the Bionic was "coming" to Verizon eight months ago.:rolleyes: I know this phone has been one of the best the world 'round. I don't know much at all about the Nexus Galaxy Prime which word has has beensplitintotwophonesstillknownothingaboutem garbage. The GS2 I DO know has been a killer phone. So...what to do. Wait it out for the HTC Vigor ie Incredible HD on Verizon ....jump to Sprint and get the GS2....wait it out till the cows come home for the "coming" GalaxyNexusPrime whatever. Why can't this be simple?? :p

Upvote 0
the iphone is done,over,kaput. the S2 has been out since late april. that's almost 6mo now. and the only way the new iphone can beat samsung is if the new ip5 has a quad core which i can almost garentee you it won't have. the S3 is already be worked on for 2012 and it will have a 2ghz quad core.

Upvote 0
in reply to sportster #19 post.
i have been reading about the new nexus phone. ice cream sandwich os and 1.5ghz dual core, 720p display, 4.65 display, nfc chip for google wallet. sounds impressive! verizon wont be the "only" carrier to get it. they may be the first, but not the last. and one of google wallets' sponsors is "sprint", so i would think they would get it for sure. that is my opinion anyways.

Upvote 0
I have a question, since sprint changed their return policy, and dropped the premier program, does that mean technically your contract changes, and can cancel with no etf? I do not have my contract in front of me, but was curious

You might be able to get out of your contract -- if those two items were in your contract to start with, and it's within 30 days of the announced change.

Since they've grandfathered in all the 30-day return folks who purchased before 9/16, and the premier program isn't likely in your contract, you aren't likely to be able to opt out of it.

When Sprint raised my rates in the middle of my contract a year into my 2-year term, I was livid! I searched and searched and searched for a better price, and I'm still with Sprint.

That said, their prices and rules are getting awfully close to Big Red. They'd better watch out, because Big Red has a far superior network. I'm with Sprint for price. I suffer with their coverage because of the price. Yes, I have voice coverage anywhere there is a Verizon signal, but not data. ...and that stinks.

Upvote 0
the iphone is done,over,kaput. the S2 has been out since late april. that's almost 6mo now. and the only way the new iphone can beat samsung is if the new ip5 has a quad core which i can almost garentee you it won't have. the S3 is already be worked on for 2012 and it will have a 2ghz quad core.

You're kidding, right? iSheeple don't care a whit about specs. They buy it for the "experience". iSheeple are so ANNOYING bragging about their inferior phones. They don't know better, they're too ignorant to know that they don't know better, and they don't care to know better even if they understood how foolish they are.

Upvote 0
Just my opinion, but I would say start imagining. Look at the signs:

• No more one year upgrades. Why? iPhone costs more, therefore more expensive to subsidize.

• No more 30 day exchange. Why? iPhone drops next month.

• Pure speculation on my part, but I would not be surprised to see unlimited data be the next thing to go. Draw the iPhone masses over for the data plan, then throttle it.

I'm not guaranteeing any of this, just watching the signs and the trends and extrapolating. Please don't shoot the messenger.
And don't forget, they just raised their ETF from $200 to $350. You know that's because of the iPhone obviously.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones