1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Where's the Frequently Used Contacts list gone?!

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by andrewmrichards, Mar 21, 2016.

1. andrewmrichards

None

Mar 21, 2016
    Male
    Hi

I've just upgraded from an old Galaxy S4 to an S7 Edge (international model) and I'm loving it.

However, there's one feature that the S4 had that I'm really missing. I don't know if it's just gone now, or went
    in the S5 / S6, or whether it's an Android change rather than specific to the Galaxy S7.

It used to be that in the "Favourite contacts" screen, under my own favourites would be a list of frequently dialled numbers. This was really useful - it would include all the people that I'm always on the phone to at the moment (on-going customer service issues, or clients I've had to call 3 times a day for the past week) but who
    I didn't ever want to be my Favourites. And over time, as I stopped calling that client, or the customer service issue was resolved, gradually that number would disappear off the bottom of the list to be replaced by the latest "always calling" number.

Has that gone for good? Is there some setting I've missed that'll turn it back on?
    Thanks a lot
    Andrew

Advertisement

#1 andrewmrichards, Mar 21, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 21, 2016
  2. Snakeyeskm

Snakeyeskm Android Expert

Apr 8, 2014
    Male
    Investment Banking
    US
    There is an edge screen that lists all your recent calls/contacts that might serve the purpose.

3. Asfalloth

Asfalloth Lurker
    None

Mar 15, 2016
    Male
    Andrew that still exists on my S7 Edge, under favorites as you say, I currently see three listed.

4. bIOforger

bIOforger Android Expert

Jun 19, 2014
    Male
    It doesn't exist, hes asking about frequently dialled numbers. Favourites are setup manually by you.

You might be able to get what you want with a 3rd party app/dialler, but i don't know what as i don't need it.

5. Asfalloth

Asfalloth Lurker
    None

Mar 15, 2016
    Male
    Of course it exists, see the bottom of this screenshot from my S7 Edge where it lists "frequently contacted"

#5 Asfalloth, Mar 21, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2016
  6. bIOforger

bIOforger Android Expert

Jun 19, 2014
    Male
    Depends on the carrier then i guess, i don't get that.

7. Asfalloth

Asfalloth Lurker
    None

Mar 15, 2016
    Male
    Also Andrew using the more button at the top it now allows you to clear the frequently contacted list.

PS Sim-Free phone from carphonewarehouse on O2

8. andrewmrichards

None

Mar 21, 2016
    Male
    Hmmm... that's exactly what I'm after. It's what I used to get on my S4. But now I just get my favourite contacts, followed by a big gap...

Was always on EE, so I'd be surprised if it's the carrier that's changed their settings. I might give them a call.

The only edge I can see that's similar is a standard call log, which already have, of course, by tapping "Call Log". And the only review of that edge panel (which is downloadable, and not free) gives it 1 star and a review of "Doesn't work at all". So I guess I'll skip that.

Bit it's weird that I'm not getting what you're getting - that would be perfect!

I'll give EE a call and let you know what they tell me...

Thanks!
    Andrew

9. andrewmrichards

None

Mar 21, 2016
    Male
    The only options I get under "More" are "Manage favourites" (which lets me delete favourites, but not recent calls) and "Settings" (which opens all the normal call settings, but nothing about recent call lists in here either.

Ah well...

Thanks
    Andrew

10. Asfalloth

Asfalloth Lurker
    None

Mar 15, 2016
    Male
    This I'm almost certain wont be your issue, but try calling a contact a few times to see if the contact frequency has to be higher than your used to perhaps, just a thought and almost certainly isn't the answer :)

11. andrewmrichards

None

Mar 21, 2016
    Male
    Hi

Yes, don't think so, sadly. I noticed that it was missing this morning when I got to the station car park and had to call the pay-by-phone parking people for about the 5th time in the past week, but of course I've not done so over the week end, so it wasn't near the top of the call log. Then I suddenly thought "I never used to have this problem - where's the frequent call list?".

Thanks anyway for your thoughts...

Andrew

12. bIOforger

bIOforger Android Expert

Jun 19, 2014
    Male
    Yep exactly the same for me Andrew, its a carrier setting in the firmware, i'm on Three.

13. andrewmrichards

None

Mar 21, 2016
    Male
    Just spent 3o mins on the phone to EE. They read the manual. They read Google. They read the tea leaves. They said I should phone Samsung "because it's obviously supposed to be there".

When I've recovered the will to live, I'll phone Samsung, and wait for them to tell me it's an EE issue...

Asfalloth and bIOforger like this.
  14. geethanperin

geethanperin Lurker
    None

Apr 12, 2016
    Hi, has any one solved this issue? I seem to be having exactly the same problem after a software update on my Galaxy S6? I would really like to the frequently called list back if possible.

15. andrewmrichards

None

Mar 21, 2016
    Male
    Well, afraid I probably can't be of much help...

Yes, in my case, it's resolved. But that's just because about 4 days after my last message here it just randomly started working. I've now got a list of frequently contacted numbers - although it seems to be building VERY slowly - after having my phone for about 3 weeks now, I've got a total of 5 contacts listed as "Frequently contacted".

So, don't know how it worked for me - I certainly didn't do anything myself - but all I can suggest is patience (which probably won't work, given my experience of life more generally...)

Sorry!
    Andrew

Attached Files:

16. SpsLps

SpsLps Lurker
    None

May 22, 2016
    Male
    I just noticed this issue this morning. I updated to Marshmallow last week. I still had the frequently called list. I lost other features though and that's when I decided to do a factory update yesterday. That is when I lost the list, after the restore. I called Verizon and they couldn't figure it out, so they transferred me to the McDonald's employees at Samsung and that lady told me it was Verizons fault. I promptly hung up on here. I called Verizon back and the level 2 tech told me that once it's gone, it's gone.

This is driving me insane. I would rather them remove my front teeth because the frequently called list is vital for me. I have 289 contacts and scrolling is not an option I'm willing to settle for. I'll update you on the situation if I find a resolution.

17. Victor Laszlo

Victor Laszlo Lurker
    None

May 23, 2016
    Male
    I also bought the very slippery and very fragile (bad combination) Galaxy 7 Edge and it had a great frequently called list under favorites and now its blank. I have not been able to find any settings to put it back and calling Samsung is only for people with dangerously low blood pressure.

It was a good feature, which is probably why its gone. I also notice that the phone slows down and works not as well with each update. Is there a way to put stock android on this device instead of the insane carrier OS versions that pretty much clog and choke your phone to uselessness?

As an aside, for those upset with the odd and unpleasant aspect ratio of the photos on the G7, you can finesse it by taking video of the target then clicking capture and you get the old 1080X1920 aspect that is more pleasant to look at and MUCH better for editing into videos. The detail seems about the same as taking a picture.

18. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor

Jun 30, 2011
    Male
    Why is 4:3 ratio odd when it is in fact the usual aspect ratio of photos before the advent of widescreen.

1080x1920 is a 16:9 aspect ratio. If you want that, just click on the 4:3 icon in the camera app and set it to 16:9 (9.1M) and you'll get your 16:9 aspect ratio at a higher resolution than 1080x1920.

Victor Laszlo likes this.
  19. SpsLps

SpsLps Lurker
    None

May 22, 2016
    Male
    The only way to combat these bad updates is to "root" the phone. Probably not a decision you are willing to make with a phone still under warranty though.

I have found another issue with the update. Sometimes when I unlock the screen, it defaults to the dial pad screen.

You are right about Samsung taking away the good features because they work. They are like the progressive liberals out there, the party of punishment. Always looking for a solution to a non-problem.

Have you also noticed that to open the phone is now a 2 step process? You have to swipe, then enter keypad unlock to get to the home screen, or in my case, dial pad.

Victor Laszlo likes this.
  20. MLSS

MLSS Android Expert
    None

May 20, 2013
    Male
    Director of a non profit
    Nelsonville, Ohio
    At least blur out the best and photos...

Se folks may not be cool with their new and photo being put on an internet forum without permission.

21. Victor Laszlo

Victor Laszlo Lurker
    None

May 23, 2016
    Male
    I do not understand your post at all.

22. Victor Laszlo

Victor Laszlo Lurker
    None

May 23, 2016
    Male
    Thank you for that I will try it.

It is odd because the wider format is the new normal, it conforms to Phi which is an aesthetic preference for humans, and depending on how mystical you want to get, seems to be a kind of natural normal aesthetic ratio.

The other format is somewhat anachronistic now and as I use a lot of photos editing in to videos, I have to lose top and bottom of the photo to expand the width enough to fill the screen at 1080.

Your answer is great though, thank you.

Any idea how to get the frequently called list back or if you can put stock android on the SG7?

23. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor

Jun 30, 2011
    Male
    You can put stock Android via flashing a custom AOSP ROM, but you'll lose most of the S7 features. Plus at this point in time I'd expect those to be still buggy as hell. And you lose warranty and Knox might get mad.

You can always get a different contacts or dialer app anyway. There are plenty in the Play Store. And I honestly did not care much for the 'frequently used contacts' feature anyway. Never really opened to that. I just go to contacts, type the name of the person and use that. The favorites are also frequently contaced people for me and I put them on the Edge panel.

24. SpsLps

SpsLps Lurker
    None

May 22, 2016
    Male
    If your post was referring to my avatar, that is MY picture, but I changed it for the squeamish.

25. peterh337

peterh337 Android Enthusiast

Mar 24, 2015
    Male
    On my S7, the Favourites list (under the dialer app) is always empty too.

On the S6, this accumulated people recently called.

Probably, this is a bug.

The Log feature does show the calls but in a different way. It *is* possible to dial number of people in the log, fairly obviously.

Samsung Galaxy S7

The Samsung Galaxy S7 was launched in 2016 and was one of two devices in the lineup. The device features a 5.1-inch display with a resolution of 2560 x 1440, 4GB of RAM, 32GB of storage, and a 12MP rear camera.