1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Where's the Root?!

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by rushmore, Oct 17, 2014.

1. rushmore

rushmore Extreme Android User

Not seen a post of a US version being rooted yet. I will treat the Verizon Note 4 arrogantly-later release as a blessing, since will not buy unless the following are apparent:

1. Can be rooted now
    2. Easy to root. I do not want to mess with the boot loader (not that Samsung makes that easy anyway). Just want root.

Need the external storage writes to work and do NOT trust the Google will enable this in the final release of Lollipop. It exists in Kitkat too, but is set to no permission.

With their no card slot Nexus devices and card restricted OS they would be better served to be called Goople.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. scary alien

scary alien not really so scary
    VIP Member

3. Shabbypenguin

Shabbypenguin Extreme Android User

Sprint/T-mobile/USCC have been rooted for a few days now, working just fine. You are on Verizon, there are rumors of them even having a locked nexus 6, every device on their network has a locked bootloader and is difficult to root. so long as you continue to throw money at them you dont really have a choice in what your devices can and cant do.

sortoh85 likes this.
  4. mrao

mrao Member

The vzw S4 and Note 3 took about 6 months to get a root exploit...and it doesnt look like things are going to be any different for the vzw (or ATT) note 4

5. rushmore

rushmore Extreme Android User

Will be holding on to my S4 and canceling the Note 4 then. Too many apps that use the card and not enough space on the device for apps and my emu roms and media that need card writes.

At a minimum, I will wait a few days to pick mine up in case of surprise root.

I was oblivious to the root delay with my S4 since still before Google killed card writes for apps.

Added:

Based on what I have read about the kernel for the VZW version, root will probably be a long time and not easy. Sticking with the S4 and might get a N3 that can be rooted.

6. blkbeltkid17

blkbeltkid17 Android Expert

this is one of the biggest reasons I left Verizon and when to tmobile and I never looked back

7. The_Chief

The_Chief Accept no imitations!
    VIP Member

I would leave, but Big Red has cornered the market on signal around here: they have a virtual monopoly :(

Now that Hashcode has retired from the Safestrap business, it's going to be a matter of someone else (hopefully) picking up the torch and running with it, developing a bootstrap program that can isolate Knox and that STOOPID locked bootloader and run a custom ROM from the microSD card.

Root exploits that don't trip the Knox counter are few & far between. If Kingo or CF Auto Root can be so configured, then root can be achieved without losing warranty.

Custom ROMs, on the other hand, will rely on that bootstrap program. And I'm willing to chip in to any bounty that is building for the developer who perfects it.

8. Shabbypenguin

Shabbypenguin Extreme Android User

cf-root flashes a custom recovery and then installs supersu and then reinstalls stock recovery. locked bootloader means cf-root wont work.

9. The_Chief

The_Chief Accept no imitations!
    VIP Member

Oh well, there went that! I'm sure that there are some very clever developers out there, feverishly tackling this issue. Problem is, at $700 a pop it gets kind of expensive doing trial and error on this device!

10. Palmetto Fellow

Palmetto Fellow Android Expert

Educate me on something. Are the Verizon phones impossible to root right now, or are they impossible to root without tripping Knox?
    If one did not care about warranty, would rooting a Verizon Note 4 be feasible?

11. nyydynasty

nyydynasty Android Expert

right now, rooting VZW and ATT Note 4 devices are not possible. I can't say it wont ever be possible but right now its not.
    I can't speak for Knox, though.

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Forum

The Samsung Galaxy Note 4 release date was October 2014. Features and Specs include a 5.7" inch screen, 16MP camera, 3GB RAM, Snapdragon 805 processor, and 3220mAh battery.

October 2014
Release Date
Reviews