1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Where's TIME/WEATHER/GMAIL?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by danalex, Jan 13, 2012.

1. danalex

danalex Newbie
    None

Apr 10, 2011
    (Sorry...originally posted in wrong site; reposting here. d)

Hi, kinda new to EVO...

My TIME & WEATHER disappeared from my main screen; also I no longer getting notifications of new GMAIL. I still show the tiny time in the upper r-corner, but the BIG TIME, WEATHER, and GMAIL notice are gone.

I recently added an app (MOBO TASK) and it killed some things like it was supposed to. However, even if I exit the app (and do complete shut-down restart) the TIME/WEATHER/GMAIL notices are not there. I can go to email and "refresh", and then the mail appears, but I'd like the auto-notification to come back.

((NOTE: I also have the yahoo app and no longer receive notifications there either))

any help?:thinking:

Advertisement

2. Granite1

Granite1 Zercron Encrusted Tweezer
    None

Dec 27, 2010
    Male
    Highway Construction Inspection
    Pittsburgh, PA

Welcome to the forums!!! :)

For your clock / weather widget, long press on your main homescreen. Select widget, then select clock by htc, scroll through the choices until you see the clock / weather style version and hit select.

For your notifications, it seems that app may have turned off your sync function. At least that's what it seems like to me.

I would try going under menu / settings / accounts and sync, in there there should be a listing of apps that sync data on a regular basis. Click on the little icon on the right, and select the refresh interval. Do this for all the apps you want to sync in the background. Leave the ones you don't use turned off.
    If the settings you choose don't stick that MOBO app is killing your sync to save battery. I would reap up on the developers site or remove the app.

Also I would read up on task killers for android phones. Android uses a different OS (Linux) than windows and manages memory differently. There is a good read on task killers found here:
    http://androidforums.com/tips-tricks-evo-4g/85554-task-killers-must-read-new-android-users.html

If you have any issues getting anything set up / working properly just let me know. :)

ocnbrze likes this.
  3. danalex

danalex Newbie
    None

Apr 10, 2011
    thanks granite1 !
    I did the time/weather thing--it worked!
    I did the sync thing...it didn't..yet. (tested by using a separate email account on computer to send myself an gmail. on computer, the email showed up...but no notification on the evo gmail app yet. maybe it takes a while...but not yet.:(

Also, reading thru your task killer post.:)

thanks

4. Granite1

Granite1 Zercron Encrusted Tweezer
    None

Dec 27, 2010
    Male
    Highway Construction Inspection
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Good, I'm glad you got the Widget back up. ;)
    Next question is, does your clock weather app update throughout the day. Meaning is the weather info updating, showing the proper temps, weather pattern, etc. If so, your notifications may be turned off in Gmail.
    open up Gmail and hit menu / (more if it's there) then settings / then your gmail account. In here you should see email notifications, make sure that is selected.

Ok, Here's another thing you can try. Delete the MOBO app, go to the marker and search for the auto sync widget by curvefish, download it.
    Find a blank spot on our screen and long press. Select widget and choose Auto sync widget. Once on the screen, you can toggle all sync on your phone on or off.

Also have you tried to doa PRL and data profile update lately?
    Go under settings / system updates and slect update PRL,Let it do it's thing, might take a hot minute. Then select update data profile. Worth a shot, and it may work! :eek::)

5. danalex

danalex Newbie
    None

Apr 10, 2011
    thanks again. I found what it was (but it took too many tapping/selections for me to remember where the problem was). things are back to normal now.

thanks for your write-up on task killers...wow, that's allot of info to digest! Picked up a couple extra apps throughout reading that thread. Decided to go without a task killer for now...even though I'm inclined to want to have one...

I'm going to start a separate thread...titled AIRPLANE MODE; would appreciate your thoughts. thanks again. d

6. danalex

danalex Newbie
    None

Apr 10, 2011
    Ok, so it did it again...lost the notifications. but I think I figured how to get them back (not sure why it changes, but here's how I found how to get the notificaitions back)
    Go to GMAIL
    MENU
    MORE
    SETTINGS
    Adjust GENERAL SETTINGS if desired
    Tap (my gmail address under ACCOUNT SETTINGS)
    PRIORITY INBOX: UNCHECK (just want regular inbox); SCROLL DOWN TO
    EMAIL NOTIFICATIONS (notify in status bar when email arrives): CHECK
    LABELS TO NOTIFY: Tap; choose Inbox, Priority, or Important (test each or all)

Tags: