• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Which 2.1 update did I get???

eachna

Dec 11, 2009
I have a german milestone that I'm using in the US on Tmobile. No 3G for anyone who might ask :).

That said, I've been checking daily for the 2.1 update. I was only just able to install it earlier today. I'm not sure I ended up with the full update.

From reading the Telus thread, here's a link to what the update "should" include:
Google's Android 2.1: How It'll Change Your Phone - PCWorld

First thing I notice wrong. I still have the old app drawer.

Here's the list:

1) Live wallpapers - Yes.
2) Additional Homescreens - Yes. I now have 5 plus a little bar up top with a dot that shows which homescreen I'm on when I'm swiping between them.
3) Updated Home screen navagation - No or Maybe (???). I'm not sure I have this one. I don't see anything that looks like icons that I can touch to switch between screens. Would this be hiding in the widgets?
4) New App Launcher. No. Definately missing. Still have the app drawer.
5) Voice typing - No. Definately missing, but seems to be left off European phones.
6) New Widgets - No or Maybe (???). I have a weather widget, can't tell if it's new. It can't identify my zip code nor does it find common locations I type in (Manhattan, New York, USA) or my zip code, so I can't tell if it includes news.
7) 3D Photo Gallery - No or Maybe (???). My gallery doesn't look anything like this: Cooliris | Nexus One Media Gallery on Android - The official app so I think I still have the old gallery. I only looked at the old gallery a few times. When I pull up pictures from the gallery app they're in a grid with white borders. When I pull them up from the camera app there's one picture in the "foregound" with the rest smaller in the background and I can scroll through them left/right.

Do I have some half-assed update to 2.1, rather than the full deal other european milestones got, or is this what we all ended up with? It seems like a waste to only get two of the seven new features.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones