• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

which app site

ZXRichie

Nov 18, 2009
Hi

Just a couple of questions,

first, when a android phone is asked to add an application, where does it go to, i've seen lots of sites with lots of apps, so which one gets used.

secondly, what is the relationship between android and google..in other words, why is my phone teaming with google apps

Regards

rich

Apps usually come from the Android Market , but you can download certain apps {both paid and free versions} off other sites like slideme.org {Android market alternative}.

Android was made by Google hence "teaming up" with Google apps which include Google Maps , Google Talk , Google Market etc.

I hope this answers your questions :)

Upvote 0
Hi ZXRichie :)

You shouldn't need to specify a site or URL , You simply go to the app {if you have it} on your phone called "Android Market , Market or Marketplace". {The icon is like a shopping bag with an Android on it}. Click it -> Browse through all the apps.

Some phones though {for whatever reason} do not have this Android Market app , Do you have it? If not , Do you have an app called SAM or slideme?

Slideme.org is an alternative site where you can download apps from , This is what some people may use if they don't have the Market app on the phone {Plus other reasons}. You can download apps from this site including paid and free versions. It's basically An android Market alternative containing many of the same apps

Carl :)

Upvote 0
Carl, hi

its starting to sink in..

am i right in thinking that no matter what sites are out there when i go to my market (i have one) it looks at them all..??

Thanks

Rich

i'm not really thick just having a really bad day. i lost my car drivers sun visor today...exactly..how do you loose that!!!

Upvote 0
lol :D Theirs no such thing as a stupid question so whatever it is just ask! and If you don't understand , Just say :)

The Android Market doesn't search all these sites and round them up, all the apps are on Googles servers. You'll find that Most devs Put their app on the Market and then on 3rd party sites like slideme.org so the app is available in multiple places. You should only really need to Download all your apps from the Android Market as that's where they'll all be {except the occasional app}

Carl

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones