• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Which clock app will work with google's voice search?

Or it could be a feature that was advertised when voice search was updated to include the text and email commands. The command is something like, "Set alarm for 2 o'clock today". I believe I remember reading on the forums that this worked only on the Nexus One. All (or most) others give the error message: "Set Alarm - In order to use this feature, download a clock application which supports this action from the Android Market." There's a button for "Go to website", and it takes you to Google Mobile Help, which indicates that one needs a clock app from the Market that supports this feature. The help page has been updated to indicate that Gingerbread has this built in.

My guess is that Google never got around to putting their updated clock app in the Market, like they did with the email app, etc, which is why the voice commands don't work with it.

Upvote 0
So, in the months since January has anyone figured out the answer to this one?

The link after "In order to use this feature, download a clock application which supports this action from the Android Market" sends me to a non-existant page.

I'm using a Thunderbolt, and I've upgraded to Gingerbread.

Just tried this, launched "Voice Search" and said "Set alarm to 8am"...

Got a message saying "Set alarm?", I tapped OK, and the alarm was set!

no idea you could even do this, I barely ever use Voice Search!

pretty cool! (Seems it works with the HTC clock) :eek:

Upvote 0
I'm using a Thunderbolt, and I've upgraded to Gingerbread.

Just tried this, launched "Voice Search" and said "Set alarm to 8am"...

Got a message saying "Set alarm?", I tapped OK, and the alarm was set!

no idea you could even do this, I barely ever use Voice Search!

pretty cool! (Seems it works with the HTC clock) :eek:

You still have to press a couple buttons though.
And I find Google's (or Android's; whose is it anyway?) voice recognition (I'm on 2.3.4) very confusing: some days it is brilliant and understands whole sentences and 'strange' words perfectly, and some days it doesn't get the simplest things right. Today, when I dictate 'set alarm for 8am', copying you, it makes 'am' into 'pm', 'wedding ring', 'loveee' (whatever that is), etc. etc. But never 'am'... :thinking:
It'll probably be perfect tomorrow if my experience is anything to go by. But that is of course useless. Because it means you can never rely on it working correctly. :mad:

So although voice recognition has made great strides forward in the past 2 years, it's still not usable IRL...

Upvote 0
When I use it for navigation, and speak slowly and clearly, it works amazingly well (about 8 out of 10 times).

If I say "Navigate to Best Buy", it almost always works. It even gets addresses right very often.

I really don't even think about using it for other things.... just to launch the nav program.

Upvote 0
I really don't even think about using it for other things.... just to launch the nav program.

It can be a godsend for SMS texts, or emails, when on the road. I (try to) use it a lot for that too, besides navigation, which works, as you say, in the majority of cases. And some days it works, and some days it doesn't. Very frustrating.

But the fact that voice recognition understands different languages (on good days...) is awesome, imo!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones