1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root Which custom rom

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by slugshot_90, Feb 25, 2011.

1. slugshot_90

slugshot_90 Newbie
    None

Apr 28, 2010
    Lowes
    Loxahatchee, FL
    I dont want this to start into a "which rom is better war" but i want to flash my captivate with a custom rom, but there are so many and this poses he problem " which one to choose" as i am sure most of you have had this same question i your mind (maybe not).

the 3 that i have narrowed it down to on the XDA site is

Paragon
    Serendipty
    Cognition

I like all 3 but cant decide which one to pick

can anyone make some suggestions or maybe let me know the pros and cons of them i know cognition keeps touch wiz which i do like since i kinda wanna keep it looking that way, and i have read people say that serendipty screams on there phone in terms of speed.

So which one should i pick?

Also i haven't rooted it yet but when i do would i need to go back down to stock 2.1 firmware or is there a root out now for 2.2 froyo?

Advertisement

2. CrimsonPride

CrimsonPride Android Expert
    None

Jul 28, 2010
    student
    north alabama
    out of those i would recommend serendipity, i havent tried the new cognitions though but i doubt they would be as good. theres an app called sgs tools that i believe comes with serendipity which allows you to install an upgraded touchwiz which is faster than stock which is nice, i believe it has 5 icons at the bottom too instead of 4.

you may want to look at supernova also, its the one i am currently on. its slightly themed which i really like. its pretty comparable to serendipity, i never had a problem with either but its something else to look into

3. iffrett

iffrett Well-Known Member
    None

Nov 30, 2010
    Engineering Student
    Toronto, Canada
    I've tried flashing cog 3.04 on 3 separate occasions and each time there was something that went wrong. I've been on serendipity for a while now and I don't see myself switching over to anything else for a very long time. What I've noticed between cognition ans serendipity is that battery life for serendipity is much better. I've lost on average 1.5% battery life per hour on standby (no wifi) with serendipity while I would lose about 4-4.5% per hour with cognition.

Also, you don't need to go back down to 2.1 to root but I would root first so you can backup/restore properly using titanium backup while on 2.2. Look on the Cap FAQ for videos on how to flash from MobileTechVideos. The video shows you how to root prior to flashing.

4. Girevik

Girevik Android Enthusiast

Dec 18, 2010
    Computer Geek
    Columbus, OH
    Before the stock update came through, I was leaning towards Paragon for the BT voice dialing.

5. Dante04SRT

Dante04SRT Well-Known Member
    None

Feb 13, 2011
    I use Andromeda - Cognition is too boring. Andromeda has all the useless crap stripped out and looks semi stock, but is VERY fast and has a lot of helpful tools.

6. mttfrog13

mttfrog13 Android Enthusiast

May 5, 2010
    Male
    Pennsylvania
    Cognition if you simply want tethering and easy sideloading apps. Serendipity if you want the theme and a couple other cool features like the interchangeable lock screen. Theoretically, cognition should be more stable, but serendipity works fine for me.

7. slugshot_90

slugshot_90 Newbie
    None

Apr 28, 2010
    Lowes
    Loxahatchee, FL
    Would i just be backing up the data with titanium pro, or would it be backing up the stock rom, cause if its data i dont have any at the moment that i need

8. slugshot_90

slugshot_90 Newbie
    None

Apr 28, 2010
    Lowes
    Loxahatchee, FL
    So ive got the phone rooted and im trying to get it to go into clockwork recovery but it wont, i tried the method of downloading clockworkmod.zip and rename to update.zip and when i load it into samsung recovery utilities and try to reinstall packages it goes to install it but then it says

E: failed to verify whole file signature
    E: signature verification failed
    installation aborted

I tried to use rom Manager as recommended by the serendipity site and
    i hit the button to flash to latest clockwork mod and it works but then when i go to reboot into clockwork it just reboots into the samsung recovery utilties and if i try to install the rom through rom manager it has me reboot and install and it just brings me to the samsung recovery utilities with no option for installing roms

am i doing something wrong here any help would be appreciated

9. reinbeau

reinbeau Klaatu barada nikto
    None

Sep 14, 2010
    Pilates Instructor
    South of Boston, MA
    Using ROM manager you have to reboot twice, for some reason. Also make sure you have USB debugging turned off when you get to that step.