1. Check out our app, Forums for Android! Download and leave feedback here!

Which do you like better for gmail?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by raqball, Jun 6, 2010.

1. raqball

raqball Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2010
    What application do you like better for gmail and why?

The native gmail application

Or

The HTC email application...

Thanks in advance for all replies

Advertisement

2. skpd

skpd Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2010
    well I like the Gmail app but as far as I can tell it does not display the unread number of emails you have next to the icon on the home screen unless you download the widget but then you have to have both icons since clicking the widget does not open the gmail app. arghh

the HTC mail app shows the unread email count..

3. gabbott

gabbott Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2010
    solution is to just put the downloaded widget on your homescreen and delete the stock gmail icon from it and problem solved.

I havent tried the HTC mail app but like the gmail app because of push mail and access to all my gmail labels easily.

4. skpd

skpd Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2010
    yeah, you're right, unfortunately it will only show the unread email count from 1 email account (I have 2). oh, well

5. Berner

Berner Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2010
    Chicago, IL
    Then add 2 instances of the widget. Associate each one with a different account. Give them different colors, or different icons, or different names or all of the above.

As for the original question, I only use the native Gmail app. I need access to all my email, including archived messages. Otherwise searching is useless. And I rely on labels heavily for one of my accounts, so again, only the Gmail app will suffice.

6. skpd

skpd Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2010
    yeah, if I only had the screen real estate for that. so many apps/widgets I would like to add to the 3 app home screens...

7. Berner

Berner Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2010
    Chicago, IL
    waht?

You got a defective EVO. Mine comes with 7. ;)

8. gabbott

Mar 22, 2010
    3 homescreens? Do you have an EVO? Should have 7. Also you can put folders on your homescreens as well.

9. MisterEd

MisterEd Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2010
    New Joisey
    I use K-9 email. Free. Have 5 Gmail accounts and it works great. I don't like the native gmail app because when you open it it doesn't show all the accounts, just the last one viewed, you have to select "Accounts" which is a PITA.

10. skpd

skpd Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2010
    well, only 3 out of the 7 are for apps/widgets

1 friend connect
    1 bookmarks
    1 music
    1 calendar

7 - 4 = 3

or is there a way to customize the home screens and change their nature?

11. raqball

raqball Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2010
    I noticed the gmail app lets me mark items as spam whereas the HTC email does not... But I like that the HTC email display unread count....

12. fecalpheliac

fecalpheliac New Member

May 12, 2010
    There's an app called gmail unread count that shows the number of unread emails on the native gmail app.

mrvirginia likes this.
  13. skpd

skpd Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2010
    as it has been said above, just donwload the GMAL UNREAD COUNT widget and you're good to go. attach it to your home screen and it will show your gmail count from the gmail app.

14. gabbott

Mar 22, 2010
    Do you use the items on those screens? if not, you can delete them and use the screen for other things. Also, create folders for some of your apps and save screen space.

15. Berner

Berner Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2010
    Chicago, IL
    7 out of 7 are for whatever you would like. All of the screens are fully customizable. You can add, delete, move any widgets, icons, shortcuts, folders, etc. however you like.

This is Android, after all. You can have it your way.

16. polkadots

polkadots Well-Known Member

Apr 5, 2010
    The Left Coast

You can customize all 7 of the screens...for example, tap&hold the calendar, and you can drag it off the screen, thus opening that screen for many different widgets/apps. All screens behave the same way.

skpd likes this.
  17. skpd

skpd Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2010
    sweet. I did not realize that. thanks

18. mreortiz

mreortiz Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2010
    teacher
    Whitehall, PA
    I'm new to the andriod phone line as the HTC EVO is my first andriod phone. Which gmail app would you recommend I get? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

19. spridell

spridell Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2010
    Long Island, NY

I use this app also and it is the best so far. The number of unread emails comes up next to the icon.

20. phantomevo77

phantomevo77 Well-Known Member

May 21, 2010
    Parker, CO
    Neither, K-9 Mail, has less of a GPU use than gmail or htc. Least that's what I read and what im seeing.

21. akkidy

akkidy Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2009
    There is actually another widget that is better in my opinion. It's the SMS Unread Count app from kanokgems. It's not only for SMS, you can add SMS, Gmail or dialer widgets that will display the number of unread messages, emails or missed calls. You can also add multiple instances of this widget for each of your Gmail accounts and can label the widgets accordingly. An option to select from 3 different icons.

SMS Unread Count
    [​IMG]

22. legacy

legacy Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2010
    Systems Administrator
    Aurora, CO
    You also have "scenes" that let you have different homescreen setups for work, weekends, play, or whatever.

Tags: