• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Which drains more battery? (about emailing)

I've found that autosyncing anything, Gmail, Facebook, etc, and configuring apps such as Weather etc for background updating takes a huge toll on resources and battery life.

If you must autosync, the 30 minute interval seems reasonable, as long as you don't have other apps set for the exact same interval; a "sync loop" can occur, causing nearly disabling battery drain in those cases. Be sure to have syncing set at different intervals.

I do all of my syncing and updating manually, on-demand, as a battery saving measure.

I don't think there is much difference in which email app is used. Perhaps others will chime in about that. ;)

Upvote 0
I've found that autosyncing anything, Gmail, Facebook, etc, and configuring apps such as Weather etc for background updating takes a huge toll on resources and battery life.

If you must autosync, the 30 minute interval seems reasonable, as long as you don't have other apps set for the exact same interval; a "sync loop" can occur, causing nearly disabling battery drain in those cases. Be sure to have syncing set at different intervals.

I do all of my syncing and updating manually, on-demand, as a battery saving measure.

I don't think there is much difference in which email app is used. Perhaps others will chime in about that. ;)

So I guess I can't use push mail without sacrificing battery life then? I thought push mail is like sms.

Upvote 0
So I guess I can't use push mail without sacrificing battery life then? I thought push mail is like sms.

Well, the whole "push" concept is a bit blurred now, with its pure form in the RIM operating system, and a "sort of push" being used by others.

RIM has its limitations, but its handling of email, etc is still the best, in my opinion.

New Android users coming from Blackberries are a bit dismayed about the differences. ;)

Upvote 0
Impact on battery life with ActiveSync push in my experience is minimal and it's better IMO than even BES on the BB.

Push is push. What people may call push might or might not be push. There's a difference and many average Joe users assume push just means "fast delivery". Even BB push isn't "pure" push if a user has a non-push account (POP, etc). BIS can emulate push with pull accounts and mail is push between BIS and the BB itself but I wouldn't call that sort of setup "pure push" as it's a mix. BIS with a push account and BES are definitely pure push though. It's just like the old saying about a chain being only as strong as its weakest link. You're only pure push if all the pieces in the chain are push.

Push should consume less power than pull since email is only transferred as needed. Polling when there's no new email is a waste of power. It's possible that the OP may have more going on than just email delivery even though he mentions disabling all sync except email.

New Android users coming from Blackberries are a bit dismayed about the differences. ;)
Well, there's no equivalent to BIS in the Android world. The gmail mail fetcher is similar but not the same. Having BIS and not having BIS are both double-edged swords. BIS, like I said, can help with timely delivery of email from non-push accounts. However, ask BB users about RIM outages. Without BIS, such outages are a non-issue.

So I guess I can't use push mail without sacrificing battery life then?
Why haven't you tested with a pull setup to compare? Disable gmail, set yourself up with the mail client with a pull setup and see what happens. If you can monitor your battery with gmail push I'm assuming you can monitor it with pull.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones