• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Which droid is best for business?

Nope, held portrait (how I usually Swype) or landscape it only takes up 1/2 the screen. I can even maneuver around the text box/screen with it up.

Ahh...held portrait! I was in the mind frame of comparing slide out keyboards to non slide out keyboards (like for like kind of comparison). I do most of my typing with the screen in the landscape orientation (probably because I have a slide out keyboard LOL :D).

Upvote 0
I think it's ALOT easier to Swype in Portrait, but that may just be me. And I was wrong, in Landscape the text box/keyboard cover the screen (as I said, I never Swype that way!).

Yeah...I'm not a big swype fan. I think it is a great keyboard...I'm just very slow with it. I can type about 50 words per minute so I'm decent on a keyboard. Two thumb typing is much faster for me. When I try to swype I can't seem to remember where the keys are. It's a muscle memory thing and I just can't get fast typing that way.

Upvote 0
If you don't know if a virtual keyboard alone will DEFINITELY work for you, get a phone with the hardware and virtual keyboard...especially for your first touch screen device. If you don't like the physical keyboard...the downside is that you have a little heavier device (but hey, at least you have all the virtual keyboard options). If you don't buy one with a physical keyboard, you could find yourself frustrated and not wanting to use the phone at all for email, texting, etc. Not saying this will happen...but you have to consider it.
This was exactly my point all along. Some were treating this as sacrilege, that to actually have choices for a first time touch screen user is a bad thing.

Upvote 0
Here is the thing to remember about having vs. not having a hardware keyboard...If you don't have one on the phone you choose, you never will. With the Droid2 you have a hardware keyboard, Android software keyboard, and Swype.

If you don't know if a virtual keyboard alone will DEFINITELY work for you, get a phone with the hardware and virtual keyboard...especially for your first touch screen device. If you don't like the physical keyboard...the downside is that you have a little heavier device (but hey, at least you have all the virtual keyboard options). If you don't buy one with a physical keyboard, you could find yourself frustrated and not wanting to use the phone at all for email, texting, etc. Not saying this will happen...but you have to consider it.

Well said, I could not agree more.

I too began with the original Droid for the specific reason that it had a keyboard. Coming from a BlackBerry and handling 30 or 40 emails per day, the thought of a touch screen keyboard was way too far out of my comfort zone as a transitional device.

Funny enough, now that I have become very proficient with Swype, I actually prefer this input method by a wide margin.

Fast, fun and accurate, my Captivate (Galaxy S) is my new favorite. I Swype my way through just as many emails every day with time to spare... :)

Upvote 0
I too really enjoy Swype / Slide-It, but there are times when having a keyboard is just invaluable.

Joining secure WIFI networks for example, where you have to input a long string of random keys. A nightmare with a virtual keyboard. On my iPhone I almost quit using wifi because of the frustration with the virtual keyboard.

Also when you're doing very technical things that require jargon not common in the English dictionary, can be very frustrating with Swype and other virtual keyboards. Having a physical keyboard comes in handy for this every time.

Upvote 0
Well after a long chat with a customer service rep at verizon. We narrowed it down to the driod X and the samsung fascinate. She recommended the fascinate in the end and told me that she would waive the restock fee if I didn't like it after 30 days.

Good choices! They are both excellent phones in their own rights!

Get the Verizon VSR to somehow put her offer to waive the restocking fee in writing (put a note in your account records). Unfortunately Verizon CSR's have an unfortunate tendency of sometimes saying things and then not following through...

Upvote 0
Good choices! They are both excellent phones in their own rights!

Get the Verizon VSR to somehow put her offer to waive the restocking fee in writing (put a note in your account records). Unfortunately Verizon CSR's have an unfortunate tendency of sometimes saying things and then not following through...

Good thinking!

Hopefully I will be happy with this phone. I will report back after a few days of playing with it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones