1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Which facebook on the DX??

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Drayken, Jan 28, 2011.

1. Drayken

Drayken Newbie

Ok, I just got the DX yesterday. I have been reading till it hurts, lol. I am comin from a dumbphone, so I got ALOT to learn. I read different posts about facebook, and not sure which I should use. Should I use the facebook app, or the moto one that came pre installed? I honestly think I will be trying out launcher pro, or something, since the setup now is a little "blah". (also beautiful widgets maybe)

Lastly, any "must have" apps I should go get? Or links to posts with this info? So far, I only got handcent loaded up, lol.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Dabitz

Dabitz Android Enthusiast

The Facebook app is an update to the one that came installed. I usually go thru facebook directly from my favorite browser (dolphin hd) and it works flawlessly. I hate the app and use it rarely. Make sure to switch the browser view to "desktop" so it displays like on a regular PC.

3. Deleted User

Deleted User Guest

Have you tried the new app? The new one is much better.

I would go as far as to say the new app is approaching the iPhone equivalent which was excellent.

4. Dabitz

Dabitz Android Enthusiast

Yes, I agree that the new one is better. I just find it cool of having all the features on the browser itself excluding chat (which you can do on the new app).

5. _Aardvark

_Aardvark Android Enthusiast

I didn't like the Moto Facebook stuff. I removed my account from the social networking settings and now just use the real Facebook app. I also use Launcher Pro Plus' Facebook widget as well. That combo works great for me.

On the rare occasion the Facebook app can't do something, I resort to the browser version. Dabitz mentioned forcing the Facebook the use the Full vs. Mobile web versions using the third party Dolphin Browser. You can use the standard browser as well, there is a link at the bottom of the mobile Facebook site to switch to the "Full Site". (there are ways to make the built in browser do what Dolphin does as well, but it's tricky and inconvenient).

Launcher Pro, in general, is great. It fixed most of my performance issues I had w/ the original Droid X software (maybe it's better now?) and added a lot of really nice stuff to my phone. The free version is nice, but i really like the Plus (paid) features. Other than that Facebook widget I just mentioned, there is great Calendar widget and widget resizing. The resizing isn't as perfect as the Moto's native resizing, but works for any widget (not that every widget likes to be resized, they often look or act strangely...).

6. Drayken

Drayken Newbie

Wow, thanks guys. I definitely will be looking at Launcher Pro tonight. It seems the most recommended one. I am assuming that Launcher Pro is also the app that lets you use more "3D" looking icons? (themes?) And I will have to take a look at Dolphin. I didn't even think about a different browser.

Hmm, so:

-Facebook App
    -Launcher Pro
    -Dolphin
    -Beautiful Widgets
    -Fancy Widget (clock)

Time to go get started. :)

7. Rockaholic

Rockaholic Android Enthusiast

BW and FW accomplish the same task. I suggest you get SwitchPro and Audio Manager as well

8. dylo22

dylo22 Android Enthusiast

Go Launcher is another popular one. It's very similar to LPP.

Other must-have apps to consider:

Astro - it's a file explorer. you'll need it. Android doesn't come with one by default.
    Calender Widget - Pure Calender, Android Agenda Widget, jorte to name a few.
    Google Voice - only if you have an account. Lots of cool features for your phone.
    Vlingo - a voice search app and much more. I think it's better than android's version
    Tasker - hard to setup, but very useful app.
    Profile Switching App - setting profiles, locale, phoneweaver to name a few.

oh yeah, update google maps from the market. The new version is WAY better.

9. IINaDII

IINaDII Newbie

mobile facebook works the best imo

10. buckguin

buckguin Well-Known Member

I use a combination of the facebook app and the webpage but I find myself using the app more lately after the update. It suffices my needs.

As for apps to download, i would recommend a text program such as handcent and a music player such as mixzing. Pretty much, replace everything that your phone came with stock..haha

11. paulney

paulney Newbie

Have they fixed battery issue with the latest Facebook app (from Facebook)? I remember it was draining like crazy before, so I switched to LP FB widget.

12. Drayken

Drayken Newbie

One other question. I saw on the facebook website, in my profile settings, that you can link a mobile phone to it. It says this will give notifications and such. Do you guys do that too, or just use the apps?

13. Haywire

Haywire Android Enthusiast

Where'd you see this? If it gives notifcations, I may be for it. I don't really want to put a facebook app on my droid, I'd rather just use the web.. Now I just need something I can use to upload pix to facebook instead of a facebook app itself (like plixi)

14. jreed2560

jreed2560 Android Expert

the notifications come in the form of text messages to the phone.

15. Haywire

Haywire Android Enthusiast

Not bad.. Where do I go to set that up?

16. jreed2560

jreed2560 Android Expert

From the website go to account settings then mobile

17. carmendiva

carmendiva Android Expert

I never liked mobile facebook....

I had to log into the browser and constantly refresh to see if i had messages or notifications

When i had a Droid X, i mainly used motorola's facebook app for motoblur

It gives you automatic push notifications of messages...instead of the facebook for android app

The only thing it lacks is chat but to be honest, i dont use chat on facebook so if i still had a droid x/motoblur device, i'd use the motoblur facebook

Motorola Droid X Forum

The Motorola Droid X release date was July 2010. Features and Specs include a 4.3" inch screen, 8MP camera, 512GB RAM, TI OMAP3630 processor, and 1540mAh battery.

July 2010
Release Date
Reviews