1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Which files do I transfer to a new SD card?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Adara, Dec 20, 2012.

1. Adara

Adara Android Enthusiast

My SD card is officially on its way out. (I thought the problem might be the phone, but since VZW swapped out my last refurb RAZR MAXX for another refurb RAZR MAXX and the problem is repeating, the problem is clearly the SD card.)

I am therefore buying a new SD card.

My question is: what do I want to transfer from the old one to the new one? I mean, yes, I know I want my photos and my music and my videos and my apps and my app data. But there are also unrecognizable files with bizarre names and purposes of which I am unaware. Do I need any of them? Or would I be better off just copying the DATA onto the new card and letting the phone do whatever it needs to do?

(Also, is there a crazy easy way to do this like uploading the files to Google Drive and then moving them back once I've installed the new card? My SD card actually has less than 5 GB on it, so I wouldn't max out my Google Drive space.)

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Podivin

Podivin Android Expert

You only need to worry about putting those things on the SD card that you care about - pictures, videos, etc. Anything that is required by the phone will be created as necessary when you boot the phone next time. (this assume that you haven't moved any apps to the SD card, if you have move them back before swapping cards).

Yep, it's that easy. Put all the data someplace (Google Drive, your computer's hard drive - wherever) and then copy it back to the new SD card. Basically it's the same as moving data from one hard drive to another.

Speaking of which, you now know for sure that SD cards fail. Sometimes they do it without warning. You should keep a copy of those things that you really care about some place 'safe'. Next time you might not be so lucky to have an SD card warn you that it's about to fail.

Dieben likes this.
  3. Dieben

Dieben Android Enthusiast

I protect my important files (mostly spreadsheets and app config files) by emailing them to myself -daily- on my Yahoo email account. That way those files are available to me from anywhere.

Yahoo does daily backups of all the data on their servers and stores the backups in a converted mineshaft under a mountain on the California/Nevada border. So come nuclear war or large asteroid strike or the second coming of Elvis or whatever, my files will survive even if *I* don't :)

4. Adara

Adara Android Enthusiast

Thanks. New card in, doing its thing.

Motorola Droid RAZR Forum

Features and specs are not yet known.

unknown
Release Date
Reviews