• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Which Galaxy S3 to buy for prepaid?

tusculum22

Lurker
Sep 6, 2012
Hello

This question is for Tmo's 4G unlimited data +100 minutes prepaid plan.

Simply put which Galaxy S3 do I buy from Amazon or Tmo to take advantage of this plan? I just want to be sure so that everything goes smoothly. I don't need to port my number.

I have a contract with them currently but intend to close it this week. Should I do this before I buy or try to activate anything?

Any advice is appreciated a lot as I am obviously a rookie and new to the Android/ prepaid universe.

I am on the $30 plan and did some research before the S3 came out when I was thinking of buying it. I have the Galaxy S2 which has the mini sim card. The S3 uses the smaller micro sim card. I spoke with a Tmo rep in an online chat and was told I could only get a micro sim card if I was on a contract plan.

Like agentc13 suggested, I would stop in a Tmo store and see what they say. The $30 plan is only for new customers so you would probably need to close your account first. I don't know if there is a certain amount of time you have to wait before you would be considered a new customer. As far as I know, you can only get the $30 plan online or at Walmart. I think you could buy the phone, get a sim card and activate it online for the $30 plan and, if you have to, order a sim card cutter off eBay and cut it down to micro sim size.

Reactions: tusculum22
Upvote 0
Wat up everyone.. quick question? I have a galaxy s3 with METRO PCs and I'm thinking of getting the note 2 for t moible , best buy is selling just the phone for 329 online and I wanna know if I could get the 60 dollar prepaid plan on the note. Any help would be nice thx......

The $329 price is with a 2 year contract. Otherwise, the phone is $799.99 unlocked. :eek:

Reactions: mrpnut
Upvote 0
Wat up everyone.. quick question? I have a galaxy s3 with METRO PCs and I'm thinking of getting the note 2 for t moible , best buy is selling just the phone for 329 online and I wanna know if I could get the 60 dollar prepaid plan on the note. Any help would be nice thx......

My buddy just bought the note 2 and what he did was hopped on t mobile's value plans from which you can make monthly payments on the phone that's added to your bill every month. Plus the value plans are their best plans, contract though.

The best buy price i assume is with a contact considering they normally sell it for 700ish off contract. Unless they cut the price in half from which they would be under cutting the whole world by a lot. Haha

And which pre paid plan, value plans or monthly 4g plans? Ones contract the other is off contract.

Upvote 0
Get the international version, non t mobile branded, and then get your sim activation kit and set it up. I wanna say the international is cheaper than buying t mobile's branded off contact s3.

Unless something is different now, I think you'll only get Edge speeds on Tmo with the i9300 since it doesn't have the 1700Mhz band.

Upvote 0
Unless something is different now, I think you'll only get Edge speeds on Tmo with the i9300 since it doesn't have the 1700Mhz band.

Oh yeah that's right. Forgot about that. Good catch. ;)

When i was interested in getting the s3 before i got the Nexus, the t mobile stores here told me it was 550 outright from them.

Upvote 0
An international or AT&T phone will work fine IF you're in a location where T-Mobile has already 'refarmed' the system to include the 1900 band.

I've wondered about that. I'd like to see somebody, besides an iPhone user, confirm that it actually works. I've seen others say that it won't but I'm not sure why.

Upvote 0
I've wondered about that. I'd like to see somebody, besides an iPhone user, confirm that it actually works. I've seen others say that it won't but I'm not sure why.

theres no reason why it shouldnt work the crappy iphone is on 1900mhz and works as long its either the 1900 or 1700 mhz it should be fine as long as the 1900mhz is in a refarmed area. heck i was even looking at some chinese clones just to test to see if it works but i have a tmo s3 so dont need to now but if you wanna try that they are cheap phones and are ok for basic stuff i wouldnt use it as an everyday phone but a backup

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones