• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Which Home Screen?

Which Home do you use?

• Total voters
lol .. I'm going crazy.. I used the link for HelixLauncher provided in an earlier post, but I see no download link there.

I clicked the "official website" and it took me to another version of the same page.. and that page expired right when I was looking at it, "this page no longer on server" it said. Huh?

Perhaps somebody has a direct link to HelixLauncher, as I did a search and could not find it in Market, either.

Frisco I am pretty sure this is a 2.1 app ........ or at least everything I can find on it makes reference too 2.1

Upvote 0
Well, this thread finally convinced me to try Helix, and I have to say ... it's great! Responsive, nice-looking, and efficient. The "dock" (or whatever) of frequently-used apps is excellent, and far more useful than those stupid Sense buttons.

Mostly, it seems to be faster, too, though there's a very significant lag when initially adding icons and widgets.

Upvote 0
Frisco I am pretty sure this is a 2.1 app ........ or at least everything I can find on it makes reference too 2.1

Yeah, it ain't installin'. I'm tired of foolin' around with it.. my hope was that it would install in 1.5 (somebody asked about that in an earlier post).

Meanwhile, Sense is configured to my liking.. but the HelixLauncher sounds like the sort of configurable desktop I'd be willing to have as an alternative on my phone.

Upvote 0
Yeah, it ain't installin'. I'm tired of foolin' around with it.. my hope was that it would install in 1.5 (somebody asked about that in an earlier post).

Meanwhile, Sense is configured to my liking.. but the HelixLauncher sounds like the sort of configurable desktop I'd be willing to have as an alternative on my phone.

TAKE THE LEAK!
it will solve your problems :)

Upvote 0
Give us some feedback later on battery life.

Thanks!

So far battery life hasn't been great since Helix installed, but the phone is much more responsive, haven't experienced any lag at all. When I check the Spare Parts and the native battery info, helix isn't listed. Cell Standby and Cell Idle seem to be using most of the battery. I do have GPS off, but location on, and using Beautiful Widgets.

Upvote 0
I switched from Home++ which I've been using for a three+ months now (mainly due to the screens and launcher apps at bottom) to Helix just this week. Home++ doesn't work with live wallpapers and it keeps giving me very slow app-drawer loading. Helix gives me 4 persistant launcher/dock apps at the bottom and a much better drawer and live wallpapers.

I've used Weather Widgets (donate) for a two months now and have to say it is better than Beautiful and more customizable. I like all the downloadable skin options (free).

Now with Helix I have multi-screen (5), live wallpaper, landscape mode for Weather Widgets (even with the forecast now) and I couldn't be happier.

Upvote 0
I've used PandaHome, GDE, Home++, Helix, and DXTop.
I've never been a big fan of having a busy home screen, and I'm all about organization. I absolutely loved the dock/drawers which can be added to the facepage with PandaHome. The downsides are its a bit laggy, and the PandaHome 2 as of this review didn't support the LWP which I've grown rather fond of.

GDE was great for the Application Docks and again, for organization. Downside for me with the Droid was the lag. The application drawer was unacceptably slow. So away from that one I went.

I've been using Helix now for the last couple of weeks and must say that I love it. Shortcuts at the bottom are ideal. Lag is nonexistent. I use the Beautiful Widgets for the customizable clock skins (there are reportedly over 100 now though I haven't counted.) I will use the various custom clocks to complement my backgrounds, and use BetterCut to customize the icons to provide me with the aesthetic feel I want. All in all, I feel Helix leaves me desiring very little. Just my .02.

Upvote 0
So far battery life hasn't been great since Helix installed, but the phone is much more responsive, haven't experienced any lag at all. When I check the Spare Parts and the native battery info, helix isn't listed. Cell Standby and Cell Idle seem to be using most of the battery. I do have GPS off, but location on, and using Beautiful Widgets.

Yeah, my battery life with Helix & Beautiful Widgets is not very good either. I'm considering going back to Sense for this reason. I'll give it another few days.

Upvote 0
I'm switching back to Home for now. I missed having the high battery life. Helix was cool with the 4 permanent shortcuts at the bottom, but it didn't have that much more battery life than Sense. With Home, I was getting close to 30 hrs with my normal usage.

The great thing is that all of the widgets that i was using, I can also use with Home. Gotta love how customizable Android is!

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Hello fellow Erisheads!

So, I have tried them all on the 2.1 v2 leak - tried Helix, Home++, Panda and even bought beautiful widgets...I always go back to the HTC Sense - reason?

The integration with the music player when in lock screen is the main one - i use it on the train and walking to work...

Helix was BY FAR the best of the rest - love the landscape, the dock with the 4 shortcuts and it's just as fast as the Sense UI if not faster...

Panda is a hog - takes too much battery and is slower than the others..

Home++ I did not like at all - the "dock" is only for the home screen and it just seems clunkier (for lack of a better word) than the others...

If you have the new leak (v2) then there really is no reason to switch from Sense UI unless you want landscape -

Just my two pennies....

Side note - if there is a music player (and I have found them ALL very underwhelming for an open o/s) that has integration into the lock screen - send me a PM

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones