1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Which is the best OS to choose in Android Studio?

Discussion in 'Android Development' started by Gleis, Jun 15, 2020.

1. Gleis

Gleis Lurker

Hey guys!
    I was just wondering, which is the best OS to choose when opening a new project in Android Studio?
    Is there any other difference, except for the numbers of users using that specific operating system?
    And which one you recommend me use?
    Editied : OS=Minimum API level

#1 Gleis, Jun 15, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2020
  2. wseng92

wseng92 Android Enthusiast

Can you define OP?

3. Gleis

Gleis Lurker

Sorry, I mean the Minimum API level
    But since it is an operating system version I didn't call it that way.

4. codesplice

codesplice Elite Recognized Moderator

Older/lower API levels will allow more (older) devices to use your app. Newer/higher API levels will let your app use newer features.

As of August, Google will only allow new apps in Google Play which target API level 29 - but there's no restriction on the minimum API level your app can support. But maintaining support for older API levels can get complicated.

So you need to find a happy medium among supporting a wide variety of devices (older API level), enabling the newest platform features (higher API level), and simplifying maintenance of your code base (that is, supporting a limited number of older API levels).

https://developer.android.com/distribute/best-practices/develop/target-sdk

5. Gleis

Gleis Lurker

Configuring your app to target a recent API level ensures that users can benefit from these improvements, while still allowing it to run on older Android versions.
    How can I do that?

6. codesplice

codesplice Elite Recognized Moderator

You're going to need an actual developer to answer that question, I'm afraid. :oops:

7. Gleis

Gleis Lurker

Well, thanks a lot for your help!!
    I'm a newbie app dev , and when I finish all the tutorials that I have in plan to watch, I will start building my own app that in the time talking its almost done designing. Until that time comes I won't get deeper into this stuff .
    But if anyone wants to answer the question , please do it :)