1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Which manufacturer

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by dontpanicbobby, Mar 12, 2020.

1. dontpanicbobby

dontpanicbobby 100% That Guy
    VIP Member Thread Starter

Will have the last headphone jack?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. no one

no one Android Expert

What do I win if I guess correctly?

3. Steven58

Huawei? Do I win?

ocnbrze and mikedt like this.
  4. Hadron

Hadron Smoke me a kipper...
    VIP Member

Sony have just brought it back, after dropping it last year.

MrJavi, ocnbrze and mikedt like this.
  5. mikedt

mikedt 你好

Acme Cheapo Products (Hong Kong) Co. Ltd.

6. puppykickr

puppykickr Android Expert

I would bet that ZTE would keep it the longest, if everyone else ditched it.
    But there are useful options for that jack besides just headphones.

As mentioned above, some companies that ditch them have brought them back.

Personally, I find it hard to believe that not having that jack was ever even considered.

These devices were made to be connected to just about everything, and to make it simple for as many people to use as possible.

There is a good number of things that you can hook up to that jack for various reasons.

What the smart thing for these companies to do would be to expand the capabilities of this jack- not eliminate it.

MrJavi, ocnbrze and Daniel Fernandes like this.
  7. dontpanicbobby

• I'm thinking LG because you know Life's Good!

MrJavi and ocnbrze like this.
  8. tommo47

tommo47 On Yer Bike, In Yer Chair
    VIP Member

Talking of which, having purchased a Pixel 3a without a full spec check, which is unlike me, I was quite surprised and very, very pleased to find that Google, at least for the 3a, have retained it.

:D:D

ocnbrze, Hadron and dontpanicbobby like this.
  9. Hadron

VIP Member

Yeah, it seems that not having a headphone jack is a high-end feature. Someone decided that the aphorism "less is more" should be taken literally?

MrJavi, ocnbrze and tommo47 like this.
  10. Milo Willamson

Milo Willamson Android Expert

My comp is an LG :)

MrJavi likes this.
  11. Hadron

VIP Member

Just to note that the new high-end Motos (Edge+ and Edge) both have headphone jacks (though Moto had already brought it back to the Z4).

So that's a couple of manufacturers who have reversed this customer-hostile decision. Maybe there's a trend developing?

dontpanicbobby and ocnbrze like this.
  12. MoodyBlues

MoodyBlues Compassion is cool!
    VIP Member

As I discovered during my recent comparison shopping, all Motorolas have them now.

I'm intrigued by the Edge[+]. I hadn't heard about them--they're not on Motorola's page that compares their phones, which I posted in my thread about buying a new Motorola. I just went to their site and 'registered' for updates on the Edge+, but there's no mention of the Edge (no, not the U2 member! :D).

I found this article about the two, and was dismayed to find that, "As it has done many times in the past, Motorola made its best phone a Verizon exclusive in US."

That sucks. No way am I dumping my über-cheap Consumer Cellular plan for Verizon service I don't want or need. :mad:

I guess I'll wait and see how this all plays out. I've never been one to go for the biggest/best/flagship phone, since the way I used them in the past didn't justify that. But things change, and I now spend a lot of time with my Moto Z² Force in my hand. I really want bigger and better now, as noted in my thread. I'm glad I didn't buy anything yet! :)

MrJavi and ocnbrze like this.
  13. Hadron

VIP Member

I read that the US is only getting the Edge+ - which is disappointing as the regular Edge is much cheaper and more than adequately specced (as I'm not a gamer I'd rather have a 765 than an 865 with its separate modem chip wasting space and power).

To me though the thing that caught my eye is that these phones are 71mm wide, which is wider than I prefer but just about tolerable, whereas all but the Moto E series recently have been 75-76 mm wide which is unacceptable to me. So these are the first Motos in years that are actually of interest to me.

MoodyBlues likes this.
  14. MoodyBlues

MoodyBlues Compassion is cool!
    VIP Member

Given this new info, would you mind popping in on my thread, assume the Edge+ is included, and give me your input? Keep in mind that the Verizon thing is pretty much a deal-breaker for me...but never say never!

I'm going to ask Motorola why the *$#@ they're not selling the Edge here. :mad:

15. Milo Willamson

I might consider of getting into a new phone into the moto family though... But it is hard though.

16. Bearsyzf

Bearsyzf Android Expert

Motorola Razor ?

17. Milo Willamson

No Bearszyf, thinking of a moto e, or even a google pixel, was doing homework of researching on the pixle..

18. dontpanicbobby

OT: I don't do the mm thing @Hadron.
    Where does my LG G7 ThinQ fit.
    It's really comfortable in my hand.

19. Hadron

VIP Member

I'm afraid that inches don't mean much to me (ounces even less): I can picture a foot OK, but if you say something is 4.5 inches long I'll mentally convert that to cm to understand it more intuitively.

But basically the G7 ThinQ is very slightly wider, slightly shorter and slightly thinner:

G7: 153.2 x 71.9 x 7.9 mm (6.03 x 2.83 x 0.31 in) / 162 g (5.71 oz)
    Edge: 161.6 x 71.1 x 9.3 mm (6.36 x 2.80 x 0.37 in) / 188 g (6.63 oz)
    Edge+: 161.1 x 71.4 x 9.6 mm (6.34 x 2.81 x 0.38 in) / 203 g (7.16 oz)

All data from GSMArena.

20. dontpanicbobby