• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Which N1 for occasional visits to US?

Hello Androider's,

I need some advise on which version of the N1 to purchase, T-Mo or AT&T. I live and work outside the US, but visit the US 2 or 3 times per year for 2 to 4 weeks at a time. I would like to buy a local SIM with 3G. Does anyone have any experience/preferences with AT&T vs. T-Mo using a prepaid SIM with data?

I spent a couple of hours reading both their websites and couldn't find anything definitive on this topic, plus real world experience frequently differs from marketing hype.

TIA

Tmo has only a small fraction of the coverage that AT&T does so I would be certain you know to a fact it will work at your intended destination. Not coverage maps in other words but actual word of mouth from people using the service on the ground. In my area tmo is pretty much the same thing as having no cell phone at all and thats probably not what you're looking for.

Upvote 0
Well, I'm sure this depends on which part of the US you are visiting, but I believe overall AT&T covers more of the US than T-Mobile does.

If you can wait until the Verizon version comes out, than you would have an even larger 3G network than both of the previous two. Although, I know that in rural New England, AT&T gets better service than Verizon (that being said, I can tell you from growing up there that there is no reason you would ever be there, haha).

Upvote 0
I looked over both Telco's coverage maps and it's a wash. Most of the time I'm in a large city that has good coverage with both, or I'm in an area with no 3G (like Montana) and in fact roaming coverage for 2G.

Is anyone using 3G with a prepaid card? I was told that AT&T won't sell you a data add-on package without a contract, you have to pay per-kb rates on a prepay SIM, but I can't find anything either way on their website.

Anyone using prepay with their spiffy new Nexus?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones