• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Which netarchy kernal should I flas+

1) Have you tried any other kernels?
2) What ROM are you using?
3) Did you wipe cache/dalvik?

Try 4.3.2 less HAVS or 4.3.1 HAVS, first. Make sure to wipe cache/dalvik before flashing. If you have a nandroid backup, and would like to verify you're starting in a bootable state, that would be a good idea. It could be that your phone isn't reacting well to HAVS, but that usually causes problems after booting (but not always). Flash either one of those kernels, and we can determine if it's a problem with that, or an issue with your ROM or the way you're flashing it.

Upvote 0
1) Have you tried any other kernels?
2) What ROM are you using?
3) Did you wipe cache/dalvik?

Try 4.3.2 less HAVS or 4.3.1 HAVS, first. Make sure to wipe cache/dalvik before flashing. If you have a nandroid backup, and would like to verify you're starting in a bootable state, that would be a good idea. It could be that your phone isn't reacting well to HAVS, but that usually causes problems after booting (but not always). Flash either one of those kernels, and we can determine if it's a problem with that, or an issue with your ROM or the way you're flashing it.

1) nope
2) mikfroyo v4.5 signed
3) of course

i read people were experiencing the same problem as me on the mikfroyo thread. also i do have a nand backup (i restored it after the problem occured)

Upvote 0
Ok, so you're able to boot up right now? I'd say try 4.3.1 HAVS (there is no more or less aggressive with 4.3.1), and see if it happens again. That version is meant to work better for those who have issues with HAVS. Let's rule that out as a problem, first.

yea my phones fine now, i wont be able to flash a different kernel for the time being because im not near a computer but if it matters, after i flashed mikfroyo and i pressed reboot now, my phone got stuck in a boot loop but was easily solved by a battery pull and reboot. ill try 4.3.1 when i get the chance and ill pm you to let you know how it went.

Upvote 0
Hmm, it did that *right* after flashing the ROM, but it stopped once you pulled the battery and rebooted? That's interesting. I assume you wiped data when you flashed the ROM, correct? Assuming you did, it could be a fluke. What recovery are you using? In any case, try one of the other kernels when you get a chance, and let me know.

I'm using clockwork version 2.6 and I did factory reset and dalvik cache reset before I flashed the rom. Also this happened both times I flashed the rom. The second time I recovered my stock htc nand backup to see if it was my phone then I flashed mikfroyo again and it happened again. The funny part is when I flashed my nand backup I made of mikfroyo my screen didn't boot loop, also it only showed the white htc screen when I was in the boot loop

Upvote 0
You guys could also have just gotten bad downloads. Where did you get them from, and did you try just downloading it again, and reflashing it? Are you using setcpu or anything like that? If so, disable it first. Also, what do you mean by 3.2.1? There is no 3.2.1.

I got it from netarchys thread in the xda forum. I had set cpu on smartass but I didnt have setcpu on start on boot so I doubt that set cpu was to blame

Upvote 0
You guys could also have just gotten bad downloads. Where did you get them from, and did you try just downloading it again, and reflashing it? Are you using setcpu or anything like that? If so, disable it first. Also, what do you mean by 3.2.1? There is no 3.2.1.

Sorry I ment netarchys 4.3.1 works very good, as for netarchys 4.3.2 I will try a fresh download and see if the download was bad, it is from the netarchys wed site http://www.qap.la/~netarchy/ I did not try Setcpu because V 4.3.2 not getting to the "desktop"

I must mention that after flashing netarchys 4.3.2 and select reboot it works but if i reboot the phone it stuck at the white 4G screen, have to pull battery to boot up again still stuck so I have to boot into recovery and reflash netarchys 4.3.1 the all are good. reboot several time to test each time it load back up fine.

Upvote 0
Sorry I ment netarchys 4.3.1 works very good, as for netarchys 4.3.2 I will try a fresh download and see if the download was bad, it is from the netarchys wed site http://www.qap.la/~netarchy/ I did not try Setcpu because V 4.3.2 not getting to the "desktop"

I must mention that after flashing netarchys 4.3.2 and select reboot it works but if i reboot the phone it stuck at the white 4G screen, have to pull battery to boot up again still stuck so I have to boot into recovery and reflash netarchys 4.3.1 the all are good. reboot several time to test each time it load back up fine.

Ok, understood. 4.3.1 is fine, as it's the current stable kernel. As for 4.3.2, are you trying CFS or BFS (or both)? Also, have you tried noHAVS or suv? Regardless of choice, if it still happens, one thing you can try is to turn the phone off, reboot into recovery, then wipe cache/dalvik, then reboot. Sometimes that'll clear issues. Try that, and if it works, try rebooting normally again.

Upvote 0
Ok, understood. 4.3.1 is fine, as it's the current stable kernel. As for 4.3.2, are you trying CFS or BFS (or both)? Also, have you tried noHAVS or suv? Regardless of choice, if it still happens, one thing you can try is to turn the phone off, reboot into recovery, then wipe cache/dalvik, then reboot. Sometimes that'll clear issues. Try that, and if it works, try rebooting normally again.

Apparently I'm not the only one with this problem I was just checking out netarchys thread on xda forums and a lot of people are experiencing this problem, check out post # 6720 he gives directions on how to stop the problem. I haven't tried it yet.

"So, I restored the backup again, reloaded the kernel, but this time, instead of doing a reboot, I did a power down. Few seconds later,powered back up into recovery and wiped dalvik cache, rebooted. Since doing this, no more hard lockups on reboot."

forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=719763&page=672

Upvote 0
Haha, thanks for finding a reference. I actually didn't know it had actually been suggested elsewhere. Here's the changelog for 4.3.2:

Notes for Revision 4.3.2
- Wimax code updated, 4g should behave a bit better
- SD card read ahead fixed, higher class SD cards should
have an easier time reaching their potential speeds

It's really not a huge difference.

Reactions: rbby228
Upvote 0
Flashing kernel netarchys 4.3.2 cfs-nosbc-havs-more result after following post # 6720 as suggested above. several normal reboot, power down and then power up was able to bootup normal without any stall. Do not reboot from the recovery screen but power down and reboot into recovery and do a wipe cache/dalvik seem to fix the stall issue at the white screen HTC 4G issues. The screen get lockup twice after opening two apps that require data from the scard (Kindle & dictionery) as I was testing by running a few apps and download from the market. so far everything seems to work fine, continue to test good result so far

Reactions: rbby228
Upvote 0
Flashing kernel netarchys 4.3.2 cfs-nosbc-havs-more result after following post # 6720 as suggested above. several normal reboot, power down and then power up was able to bootup normal without any stall. Do not reboot from the recovery screen but power down and reboot into recovery and do a wipe cache/dalvik seem to fix the stall issue at the white screen HTC 4G issues. The screen get lockup twice after opening two apps that require data from the scard (Kindle & dictionery) as I was testing by running a few apps and download from the market. so far everything seems to work fine, continue to test good result so far

After about two hours of running netarchys 4.3.2 cfs-nosbc-havs-more there were several (6) random reboot in addition to the above issue, but there was no stall reboot.
I again follow all instructions and flash netarchys 4.3.2 cfs-nosbc-havs-less from last night so far so goood no randon reboot, I reboot several times no stall, power down, power back up no stall ran a few apps all good. So netarchys 4.3.2 cfs-nosbc-havs-less pretty stable so far:)

Upvote 0
After about two hours of running netarchys 4.3.2 cfs-nosbc-havs-more there were several (6) random reboot in addition to the above issue, but there was no stall reboot.
I again follow all instructions and flash netarchys 4.3.2 cfs-nosbc-havs-less from last night so far so goood no randon reboot, I reboot several times no stall, power down, power back up no stall ran a few apps all good. So netarchys 4.3.2 cfs-nosbc-havs-less pretty stable so far:)

thanks stompy for testing it out i decided to flash netarchy-toastmod-4.3.1-cfs-havs-nosbc because i want stability and not have to worry about the whole stuck on white screen issue. ill test out this kernel and if i like it ill keep it but if not ill just flash 4.3.2, by the way how exactly did you power off your phone? when im in recovery all i see is "reboot" so im assuming you just pulled out the battery.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the update. It sounds like your phone can't handle aggressive HAVS, so less aggressive works fine. You could also probably flash 4.3.1 HAVS, and have the same good results.

I was always been using 4.3.1 HAVS both on Mikfroyo v.4.5 & Mikfroyo v.4.4 and it always work perfectly good battery life and very fast. I just want to upgrade to the newer version 4.3.2

thanks stompy for testing it out i decided to flash netarchy-toastmod-4.3.1-cfs-havs-nosbc because i want stability and not have to worry about the whole stuck on white screen issue. ill test out this kernel and if i like it ill keep it but if not ill just flash 4.3.2, by the way how exactly did you power off your phone? when im in recovery all i see is "reboot" so im assuming you just pulled out the battery.
I flashing v.4.3.2, I do a wipe cache/dalvik before flashing and after flashing then power down (pulling battery) start up in recovery again do wipe again, power down again and do a regular boot up.
I also regular reboot both ways just to make sure it do not stall at the 4G screen untill i am comfy that it will not stall. It is about 14 hours since I flash netarchys 4.3.2 cfs-nosbc-havs-less and all good, as what akazabam say seem like my phone cannot handle netarchys 4.3.2 cfs-nosbc-havs-more i was having a randon reboot.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones