1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Which outgoing email server (SMTP) do I use?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Nagrom, Jun 20, 2011.

1. Nagrom

Nagrom Android Expert
    None

May 28, 2010
    Cheshire UK
    Hi Kids.

Okay so I plan to use my home e-mail on my Desire, and I'm a bit baffled as to which email server I should use.
    I only plan to use it at home when connected through my Talk Talk WiFi broadband, and my phone is with Vodafone.

I always understood it that when it comes to PC email servers, your outgoing is your ISP is the one you use, as you're accessing the internet through them.

Incoming isn't an issue, as I use a completely separate company for my own unique domain.

So.....

Do I send my email through Talk Talk,s server's, as I'll be connected to their braodband service.

Or.

Do I use Vodafone's server's as my account is with them?

Thanks in advance

Andy.

Advertisement

2. shauny13

shauny13 Android Expert

May 24, 2010
    Male
    Beautiful Dorset
    your isp's ie talk talk.

3. heat57

heat57 Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 29, 2010
    Consultant
    Birmingham, UK
    Hi, well you do not need your ISP's servers to send and receive email. You can use any mail server as long as they host your email, i.e. take gmail and have a look at their settings for IMAP and SMTP here: https://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=114408
    Your ISP may well be your mail provider but they may not be the most reliable mail service provider or indeed give you enough mailbox space. Most limit the size to 1 or 2 GB. I use Google as they have the most outstanding reliability and a 7.5 GB mailbox. On top of it you don't even have to enter any settings as your Desire will autopopulate the mail server settings once you have entered your gmail account credentials. Beats Yahoo, BTinternet, Orange, Vodafone etc. into a "cocked hat" IMHO.

Tags: