• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Which phone fits this criteria?

Ok so I'm really really trying to get into the whole Android thing but it seems like all the flagship phones coming out lately have these crazy ugly skins over top of them which remind me of the old Windows 95 and Windows 98 days where people tried their best to make desktop shells (litestep, nextstepx86, talisman) but just ended up making Windows look even more fugly, cluttered, bloated, and slow.
I'm looking for the fastest Android phone available both in clockspeed, GPU, and real world performance, the highest resolution possible, and with NO custom carrier crap on it. Which do you guys recommend? So far I've had a sprint Hero, European Hero, N1, and a Droid Incredible. I'm looking for a phone that operates as fast or at least close to my iPhone 4. Thoughts?

Just normal usage, scrolling through the apps, scrolling on web pages, scrolling on home screens... Some times it's smooth and sometimes it stutters and it's kind of annoying especially since I use my phone all the time. I'll hop in an app, then just remember I forgot to send an email out so I'll hop out and into the mail and that seems to cause it to freeze up and thing for a sec. So I'll open the browser, then hit home screen then open up the email all in a quick succession and it will have to catch up with itself.

Upvote 0
Strange I don't notice any lag unless I'm doing the "update all" thing available in Froyo when they all start installing phone takes a hit, but anyway if you need something faster than dinc specs a galaxy phone is prolly your only option right now. I believe they are rooted although I'll admit to not really researching it. I know the X has root, but the bootloader aint cracked so you cant do custom roms....yet.

Upvote 0
Check out this thread...
http://androidforums.com/android-lounge/121981-android-phone-should-i-get.html
But wait, you made that thread... why are you making another?

Ok so I'm really really trying to get into the whole Android thing but it seems like all the flagship phones coming out lately have these crazy ugly skins over top of them which remind me of the old Windows 95 and Windows 98 days where people tried their best to make desktop shells (litestep, nextstepx86, talisman) but just ended up making Windows look even more fugly, cluttered, bloated, and slow. I'm looking for the fastest Android phone available both in clockspeed, GPU, and real world performance, the highest resolution possible, and with NO custom carrier crap on it. Which do you guys recommend? So far I've had a sprint Hero, European Hero, N1, and a Droid Incredible. I'm looking for a phone that operates as fast or at least close to my iPhone 4. Thoughts?
...I'm a true techy and love playing with the latest stuff and customizing home screens and making screens and videos of UI's is just fun for me.
Sounds like you know how to root and get stuff done. You know, or at least are familiar with and can figure out, how to remove the pre-installed OS overlay. So all you need to do is compare the hardware specs. Do you want a hardware keyboard? What kind/type of screen? And make sure to check the processors (the hummingbird is better than the snapdragon, but you probably already knew that). Good Luck!

Upvote 0
Check out this thread...
http://androidforums.com/android-lounge/121981-android-phone-should-i-get.html
But wait, you made that thread... why are you making another?

Sounds like you know how to root and get stuff done. You know, or at least are familiar with and can figure out, how to remove the pre-installed OS overlay. So all you need to do is compare the hardware specs. Do you want a hardware keyboard? What kind/type of screen? And make sure to check the processors (the hummingbird is better than the snapdragon, but you probably already knew that). Good Luck!

I made a new thread because I never purchased since that older thread and several new phones have come out since then so I wanted to see if anyone had any new suggestions. Are there any phones out right now that don't have root so I should stay away from them?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones