• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Which phone to choose?

Mrdroid921

Android Expert
Nov 13, 2009
N CEE!
Steven's note: If anyone wants to ask advice, ask it here. I don't believe we need a multiplication of these threads, which I why I combined them. If anyone gets upset? Just understand that in 100 years it won't matter as no one will remember this decision (or any of us, most likely, for that matter.) ;) :p

Verizon is letting me early upgrade, and I am unsure if I should get the
Droid X or wait for the Samsung Galaxy S. What do you all think, and
which would you choose and why??

Well, first off you're asking Droid X'ers so we may be a little biased lol

Honestly though, I think this phone is THE phone to get...and is the reason I personally picked it out.

The screen is awesome. Response is great. The battery life is setting new standards among cell phones. VERY thin. Call quality is amazing. Love the 8MP camera. I sincerely cannot list one negative, personally.

However, it all comes down to personal preference. Are you ok with the size of the screen or would you prefer a smaller screen? The best experience is always hands on. I know I saw there was a thread posted before about the Samsung Galaxy S vs the Droid X. I'm pretty sure it was said that the X won in that video....but I may be wrong.

Hope this helps and good luck in your decision! From what I've seen, the S looks like a nice phone and is one I considered as well...but again the X is the best of the best at the moment, IMO :)

Upvote 0
Chooseing a Smartphone is really dependent on what your needs are? Aside from telephony, what other functions do you specificly have a need for? What was your last phone and why did you choose it?

Personally, coming from a Samsung Omnia, I'd recommend the Motorola brand over Samsung only because my past experience has taught me that Samsung phones tend to be quirky. Now this isn't to say that Motorola doesn't have it's faults. It does! But if I had to choose all over again I'd still stick with Motorola...

Upvote 0
I am ok with the size of the screen, I just want to have the most powerful
out of the two of these phones. I do a lot of web browsing, and play a lot
of videos and music.

From a performance standpoint I think you're going to find that both phones are fairly comparable (1Ghz Hummingbird vs OMAP). Both phones will likely have gorilla glass. The Samsung will have an AMOLED screen which has great color indoors but can be difficult to see outdoors (at least to some). Both should have Froyo at some point this year. The Samsung, however, will likely have a UI whereas the DX has Blur. Neither is optimal but it may come down to that as one of your decision points.

Upvote 0
Both phones have gorilla glass? Are you sure? I remember hearing somewhere that the nature of the technology of the amoled screen prevented it being manufactured with Corning's Gorilla Glass. Can you check that?

Thanks.

My feeling is that you can't go wrong with either the Incredible, DX, D2 or Fasc. They're all great. I chose the DX because of the size, power and call quality.

Upvote 0
ok heres the deal, im due for a new phone i still have a razer that is about shot, since its been so long that i have upgrade my phone i still got a great plan its actually a alltel one its 900 for 59.99, which i dont really want to lose because i have a add a line on there for 9.99. so i never had a smartphone and would really like a X, but i dont really want to be payin what i figure would be close to 120 a month. right now i got 59.99 for 900, 400 tex mins for 7.99, and the add a line. so with taxes now im paying around 80-90. with the droid x it would include the data plan for 29.99 i guess wheres to i figured it would after taxes come to around 117, because my tex wouldnt carry over so i had to replace it with the 10$ one, i could maybe lower my mins but im just wonderin what i could do to get my monthly bill not so high, but maybe there is no way in doin that and i wont get the X. any thoughts would help, thanks.

Upvote 0
i could maybe lower my mins but im just wonderin what i could do to get my monthly bill not so high, but maybe there is no way in doin that and i wont get the X. any thoughts would help, thanks.

Just get the lowest minutes, a data plan, and use google voice for everything... should save you a good chunk of change! Though who knows what google's going to do next year...

Google voice integrates well with android, you can use it for all your calls and SMS, saving you money there... worth a look at the very least considering your position.

Upvote 0
Both phones have gorilla glass? Are you sure? I remember hearing somewhere that the nature of the technology of the amoled screen prevented it being manufactured with Corning's Gorilla Glass. Can you check that?

Thanks.

My feeling is that you can't go wrong with either the Incredible, DX, D2 or Fasc. They're all great. I chose the DX because of the size, power and call quality.

There is this thing called google, it has the answers you seek.

Samsung Galaxy S and Gorilla Glass combine powers | Android Central

Upvote 0

Thanks.

Better question would be is Gorilla Glass used in Droid X. It isn't listed in Gorilla Glass maker's product page unless they don't want anyone to know.

Gorilla Glass | Device List

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones