• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Which phone?

SamuraiBigEd

Under paid Sasquatch!
Nov 8, 2009
San Antonio, Texas
OK, I have had it with WinMo! For everything it has going for it there are more things wrong with it. I use the phone for my business, so outlook, word & excel are important, and you can't beat WinMo for that; I am, however, getting tired of the constant lock-ups and glitches and I don't want to leave Sprint (at least not yet, they are pushing it though), so it looks like a Hero or Moment are in my future. Or should I wait for the next generation of devices that are supposed to hit in 1st or 2nd quarter 2010?

I like flashy interfaces, but I am technically savvy, so a stripped down Android would be no problem for me, I could install whatever interface I want as they come available. My real question is this: Which set of problems do I want to face, and can I do without a slider since my fingers are huge ( I am 6'5").

I know I will get as many differing opinions as there are people that answer, so I am just looking for a little guidance or a gentle nudge one way or the other.

OK, I have had it with WinMo! For everything it has going for it there are more things wrong with it. I use the phone for my business, so outlook, word & excel are important, and you can't beat WinMo for that; I am, however, getting tired of the constant lock-ups and glitches and I don't want to leave Sprint (at least not yet, they are pushing it though), so it looks like a Hero or Moment are in my future. Or should I wait for the next generation of devices that are supposed to hit in 1st or 2nd quarter 2010?

I like flashy interfaces, but I am technically savvy, so a stripped down Android would be no problem for me, I could install whatever interface I want as they come available. My real question is this: Which set of problems do I want to face, and can I do without a slider since my fingers are huge ( I am 6'5").

I know I will get as many differing opinions as there are people that answer, so I am just looking for a little guidance or a gentle nudge one way or the other.

good for you! to hell with winmo
yuck.gif

Upvote 0
Go to a Sprint store and check both of them out.
Stereotyping and based on your size, I think you will like the Moment.
It has a bigger display and a physical and virtual keyboard.
The moment has more horsepower, but 22mb less of ram.
The hero has 288mb of ram, a 5 MP cam, but no flash and it has Sense UI.
Thanks, will do.

Upvote 0
OK, I checked out both phones and now I am more confused than ever. Love features of both, hate some of both.

The lag in switching to landscape on the Hero was aggravatingly long, both phones had problems recognizing when I hit an onscreen button, the lack of multi-touch gestures on the Moment is a big negative.

I had less problems with the Hero's onscreen keyboard than I thought I would, and the offset on the Moment keyboard is a little confusing but could easily be gotten used to.

I definitely like the trackball better as well.

Now for the kicker; went into the Verizon store two doors down and have to say the Droid is one well built phone! But the lack of multi-touch is puzzling since I thought that was supposed to be one of the features of 2.0.

Oh well, guess it's time to flip a coin...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones