• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Which pre-installed apps can be moved?

niknak02

Lurker
Jan 5, 2013
Hi. I started running out of memory for my HTC Desire and after successfully rooting my nook, I decided to try my Desire. After many youtube videos, I have successfully rooted and S-OFF'd my phone and I am able to use Root Explorer to move apps and delete them. (I had also flashed a custom ROM but I didn't like it so I went back to the HTC one.)

My question how do I know which apps can be moved to the SD card and which ones are needed to keep the phone operating?

Thanks in advance :)

Try the root memory faq, linked in the Desire All Things Root Guide sticky post in this forum.

I think there's also a guide to using GParted via a virtual machine too.

Note that you usually need a custom ROM to make use of the partition (the app Link2sd may work with a stock ROM, but I'm not sure because that still uses an init script and I don't think the original ROM supports them). There is a link to a list of custom ROMs in the sticky post, and a "rooted stock rom" will look just like the original if that's what you want.

The easiest way to deal with pre-installed apps is to "freeze" them using Titanium Backup. Has same effect as uninstalling but easier to reserve. Always take a nandroid backup before changing anything in system though.

Reactions: Tyseyh
Upvote 0
Reactions: Tyseyh
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones