• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root which ROM for best battery life?

davo26

Android Enthusiast
Jun 5, 2011
my old desire has been passed down to my lad, and hes asked me to try and extend his battery life as its not lasting a day. its rooted and redux 1.2 installed.
im on the DHD now and notice my best battery life comes with smartass v2 governor, but thats not an option on his redux.

which rom/governor/kernel do you recommend i instal for him, or is it just a case of its as good as its going to get cos its sooooo old now? :)

cheers

Redux 1.2 should have quite good battery life. However if you want to experiment with different CPU settings you need a compatible kernel. You can change the kernel without changing ROM and losing data. Take a look at the kernels section at XDA.

Do not use a Sense kernel on a nonSense ROM. Also Thalamus kernels are not interchangeable with other kernels because the camera will not work. I believe that is because of incompatible drivers.

The most important thing is to take a nandroid back up before changing anything!

But to answer your question dGB, Oxygen, Redux2 and Mildwild's version of the last 2 should all be light on battery use.

Upvote 0
TBH I've stuck with Ondemand. Smartass (and to a lesser extent V2) suffers from being slow waking, though is good other than that. But sure, try it and see - these devices do vary. I've always found ManU kernels to be good anyway (but they won't work with Oxygen or the Oxygen/Redux2 based Mildwild ROMs, which use thalamus kernels).

Redux 1.2 is, as Nicka says, pretty battery efficient, so apart from the ManU kernel there's not much to be done. Battery is probably getting old too. Depends a lot on usage as well - you can optimise standby, but nothing will make a Desire last much more than 3 hours screen on, so if he's a heavy texter or gamer there will only be so much you can hope for (turning down brightness helps most if you are a heavy user).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones