1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Which ROM?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by El Presidente, May 26, 2011.

1. El Presidente

El Presidente Beware The Milky Pirate!
    VIP Member Thread Starter

It turned into Domo Kun, can I blame you for that?

Maxy, good man, it was totally painless too.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Pothers

Pothers Well-Known Member

To be honest I wasn't sure if I needed ENG S-off but my feelings were if I'm going to do this I might as well go and do it all.:rolleyes:

And I'm sure I read somewhere ( although where I can't remember cos I've read soooo many posts ) that it was required for something or another.:D

3. D-U-R-X

D-U-R-X turbo drinker

Ha, ha, ha... near wet myself when I saw this post :D

4. El Presidente

LeeDroid installed :D

I'd like to extend my thanks to all who provided moral support and I apologise for coming off like a paranoid noob.

5. D-U-R-X

D-U-R-X turbo drinker

lol - it's good to be on the other end for once, holding someone's hand (so to speak)... glad you got it all sorted!

At least you've done it now, so know what to expect next time!!

6. Pothers

Congratulations El P. Now go and have a lie down. I must admit that I never planned to root and install custom roms and found it quite stressful, how sad am I !!!:D

7. Pothers

That just typical. Installed LeeDroid this morning, having downloaded the ROM yesterday, and a new update is released today:eek:

8. Xyro

Xyro 4 8 15 16 23 42

You can probably get away with flashing it with only a wipe of the cache partition - although do a backup of the rom in case.

Pothers likes this.
  9. El Presidente

Lol, I flashed mine with the ROM I downloaded yesterday too...

10. Pothers

Thanks Xyro. I take it thats done using rom manager as well.

I think I'll leave it a few days to see if I'm going to stick with LeeDroid or maybe try something new.

11. Xyro

Xyro 4 8 15 16 23 42

Yeah, you should get the options to backup, wipe the cache and factory reset when you pick the .zip in rom manager.

Pothers likes this.
  12. MaxyDad

MaxyDad Member

Just attempted to flash Leedroid. My word it's taking a long time to boot! About 10 mins on the HTC screen so far. I've heard it can be as long as 10-20 mins, but this is getting me worried!

Maxy

13. El Presidente

It did take a while for me too, and it's taken about 3-4 subsequent reboots for it to "settle" and start performing as I would expect.

What's on screen at the moment?

There are some nice tweaks, but I think I'm gonna give CM7 a shot on Friday.

14. MaxyDad

MaxyDad Member

Hi mate. Just have the HTC splash screen. Been like that for about 20 mins now - getting pretty worried. Going to give it another 20, but if no joy I'll have to pull the battery and try to restore tomorrow night :eek:

Maxy

15. El Presidente

I think removing the battery during a flash is quite a bad idea.

Is that the only screen you've seen?

16. Xyro

Xyro 4 8 15 16 23 42

You were flashing a ROM, not a radio, right? That means it's ok to pull the battery.

Did you do a factory reset before flashing the ROM?

17. MaxyDad

MaxyDad Member

I know what you mean, but I can't see any other way out of it.

I got the initial screens in ClockWorkMod (backup, wiping and installing new ROM), stepped away from my desk for a minute, and when I got back there was the HTC splash screen - bright white background and 'htc' in green letters. Now been like that for >30 minutes.

Don't think there's anyway to revive it. The battery will run out anyway if left like this ... Dunno.

Maxy

18. MaxyDad

MaxyDad Member

Hi Xyro. In response to your questions, 'no' and 'yes' (in that order). I setup the flash in ROM manager, and ticked all of the boxes for wiping, etc.

Think I'm going to remove batt now, because I might have another chance to do it if I act now.

Maxy

EDIT: sorry, I was unclear in my response there. I was flashing a ROM, not a radio.

19. Xyro

Xyro 4 8 15 16 23 42

What you need to do is:

- Pull the battery (you can't brick the phone by flasing firmware, fortunately :) )
    - Redownload the firmware you were flashing, in case this was caused by a corrupted download.
    - Reboot into recovery by holding volume down + power
    - Plug the phone in to your PC via USB
    - Go to Storange & Mounts and pick the option mount USB storage (Use the volumte buttons to navigate, the power button to select)
    - Put the re-downloaded firmware on the phone
    - Pick the option to unmount on the phone
    - Do a factory reset
    - Flash the file again.

20. MaxyDad

MaxyDad Member

Good call - thanks. I'll leave my next attempt for tomorrow night, as I'd need to get the phone useable for tomorrow's commute. Currently restoring my nand backup (thank goodness I took a backup).

The funny thing is, I downloaded Leedroid from the leedroid.com website, and the md5 was correct. The only thing that was a bit odd was that the first time I attempted the flash with ROM manager, the phone just rebooted into CWM recovery. It was only on my second attempt that the flash seemed to begin (although clearly it didn't finish). Tomorrow I'll try to flash Leedroid (after a second DL) directly from CWM.

System now restored, and all I've lost is an hour - so could be worse!

Maxy

21. MaxyDad

MaxyDad Member

Ahead of tomorrow night's attempt, anoyone know if there's any way to verify that I do indeed have perm root, radio S-OFF and Eng S-OFF?

Maxy

22. D-U-R-X

D-U-R-X turbo drinker

It says something like ship PVT when you go in to recovery, I think (for ENG Off... if you only have Radio S-Off, I think it says Ship S-Off... this is from memory - did Radio first and ENG second, so don't know if it says Radio AFTER you get ENG S-Off!!)

23. El Presidente

In clockwork, what does wiping the davlik cache do? I'm sure when I flashed the Orange San Francisco, the instructions said to wipe the davlik cache.

Do you have a super user app on the phone? I think that means you have permaroot. I think if you had all that stuff on your backup, you have it now.

From what I've read anyway, S-OFF & ENG S-OFF are there permanently, unless you turn then back on.

24. D-U-R-X

D-U-R-X turbo drinker

I read something yesterday... it seems that sometimes, when you flash a new rom, it resets one or the other (not sure which)... I'm sure I read that some people have had to re-do Radio S-Off after flashing a custom ROM... I'll see if I can find the thread I was reading!!

EDIT - can't find it right now... will have a look tomorrow!

25. MaxyDad

MaxyDad Member

So, managed to get back to stock Rom. The 'Superuser' app is still in my app drawer, and the top line in recovery says 'ACE PVT ENG S-OFF'. I suppose I'm ready for another attempt.

Maxy

HTC Desire HD Forum

The HTC Desire HD release date was October 2010. Features and Specs include a 4.3" inch screen, 8MP camera, 768GB RAM, Snapdragon S2 processor, and 1230mAh battery.

October 2010
Release Date
Reviews