• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
I took the plunge yesterday and downgraded from 2.3.3 to 2.2. Rooted with visionary and then S-OFF ( both Radio & ENG ).

I then upgraded OTA back to gingerbread ( 2.3.3 ) and used Gingerbreak to re-root. And it all went flawlessly.

So I now have my DHD, rooted and running on stock gingerbread. Now to decide which ROM to install. Leaning towards Leedroid but wasn't able to download the file, so will try again later

im doing this tonight. didnt realise you could downgrade - s-off - then upgrade OTA back to gingerbread. thanks for that. Are you experiencing any of the issues that other gingerbread users are finding i.e the battery drainage from the dialer process? if so then im going to get another ROM

Upvote 0
im doing this tonight. didnt realise you could downgrade - s-off - then upgrade OTA back to gingerbread. thanks for that. Are you experiencing any of the issues that other gingerbread users are finding i.e the battery drainage from the dialer process? if so then im going to get another ROM

I'm not exactly sure how bad the battery drain is. I've said previously, I'm easily getting 2-2.5 days out of HTC's Gingerbread (and GB based ROMS) with sensible use which is more than I could've got from Froyo on similar usage.

Upvote 0
I'm not exactly sure how bad the battery drain is. I've said previously, I'm easily getting 2-2.5 days out of HTC's Gingerbread (and GB based ROMS) with sensible use which is more than I could've got from Froyo on similar usage.

wow thats a lot more than what im getting at the moment. waited a while for the gingerbread update expecting to get better battery life. finally got it and its turned out worse. wish i had rooted and changed ROM months ago now!

big question for me now is what ROM to go for. looking at other threads and posts its down to personal preference. Main thing for me is battery to be sorted but i also like sense so would ideally want a ROM with it. I see you have recenetly rooted etc - have you tried a few different ROMS out yet? cheers

Upvote 0
So far, I've tried LeeDroid and CM7.

LeeDroid is virtually stock with a few tweaks and additional apps. It can have a few bugs, but the dev is awesome at listening to feedback and updating if there's a problem.

CM7 was really nice, really slick. But for me, the camera let it down. I also had issues with random force closes here and there. It was nice and I give props to the guys who make it, but Sense > Stock Android.

Upvote 0
So far, I've tried LeeDroid and CM7.

LeeDroid is virtually stock with a few tweaks and additional apps. It can have a few bugs, but the dev is awesome at listening to feedback and updating if there's a problem.

CM7 was really nice, really slick. But for me, the camera let it down. I also had issues with random force closes here and there. It was nice and I give props to the guys who make it, but Sense > Stock Android.

hey i was just wondering if you had any issues with cm7? i downloaded the latest release last night including the gapps zip and, apart from it being stunning, im unable to use gps. the gps icon will appear when i open maps but location is never found. also gotta agree with you on the camera. its a bit sh*t"!

Upvote 0
hey i was just wondering if you had any issues with cm7? i downloaded the latest release last night including the gapps zip and, apart from it being stunning, im unable to use gps. the gps icon will appear when i open maps but location is never found. also gotta agree with you on the camera. its a bit sh*t"!

CM7 camera is rubbish... there is a link to the MIUI camera app, which is better, but not amazing... camera's on phones aren't usually as good though.

As for GPS - I thought mine wasn't working, until a couple of weekends ago - went to Leeds and had to get to a course... sort of knew where I should be going but, as I wasn't 100% sure, I used Google Navigation and it worked a treat!

Upvote 0
nice one ill check out the MIUI app see how it looks. Guess ill wait till im in the car and need gps before i judge it then. been told that overclocking up to 1500 is safe above isn't, would you agree?

I haven't overclocked tbh, but if enough people (especially on here) say that it's ok, then I'd tend to believe it.

The MIUI camera is actually a camera from the MIUI ROM, but they have released it as a seperate app... it's in one of these posts somewhere... Ill have a dig for you! :)

Upvote 0
rhod - Xyro's comment from the very thread in fact!

Page 3 (13th June @ 8.24pm)... you can grap MIUI camera from there. Better, but still a little slow!

http://androidforums.com/desire-hd-all-things-root/342852-rom-3.html

EDIT - tried to quote what he said, along with the link, but I can't get it to work at the moment and am just leaving work!!

Reactions: rhod
Upvote 0
Re overclocking, I use SetCPU to with a maximum of 1267 and a min of 245 (or numbers like that) and it picks and chooses which speed to run at when it's needed.

I'm sure Xyro mentioned he has a similar setup, but circa 1500? TBH, I probably wouldn't let it run at that constantly, just set your max and min and your governor to Ondemand or Smartass.

Reactions: D-U-R-X
Upvote 0
Re overclocking, I use SetCPU to with a maximum of 1267 and a min of 245 (or numbers like that) and it picks and chooses which speed to run at when it's needed.

I'm sure Xyro mentioned he has a similar setup, but circa 1500? TBH, I probably wouldn't let it run at that constantly, just set your max and min and your governor to Ondemand or Smartass.

Nice one... been thinkin of getting Set CPU for a while!!

Upvote 0
I actually don't over clock (120-1075 smartass2 at the moment), but I've heard 1500 is the highest reasonable speed.

However, it all comes down to how stable and how warm your phone runs when overclocked and it varies between different DHDs. Those are the 'dangers' to going too high.

Upvote 0
I've never had a problem with it either... but then again, I've not been using it that long/too much!

I just use CWM even through ROM Manager it still has to go through CWM and the only issues I see happening are when one communicates with the other. I think it saves hassle and time anyhow just using the power button and selecting restart (into recovery) and doing everything from there. I find the interface easier to use anyhow lol.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones