• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

which SD card is best for the Z1?

San Disk is about the best company to deal with if you have to, and they make a quality product.

The type of card is determined by the size. The speeds are the class. So you want a San Disk card of the size you want, Class 10 or faster (higher number). Beware of deals that sound too good to be true - they're probably counterfeits.

Upvote 0
The one he linked to is a Class 10 card. That's about the fastest card you're going to see these days (and faster than the phone, so it'll be the phone that limits how fast the card can be accessed). I've seen mention of a Class 12 card, but it could be a typo or a rumor. It's not something for sale. (And no phone made could do anything with the extra speed - it would be like a Porsche in a traffic jam.)

Reactions: psyxologos
Upvote 0
The one he linked to is a Class 10 card. That's about the fastest card you're going to see these days (and faster than the phone, so it'll be the phone that limits how fast the card can be accessed). I've seen mention of a Class 12 card, but it could be a typo or a rumor. It's not something for sale. (And no phone made could do anything with the extra speed - it would be like a Porsche in a traffic jam.)

Thanks. My question is whether the one I linked is any good, compared to the one El Presidente linked. Seeing that the one he suggested is significantly cheaper as well, it makes it a very attractive proposition. I am just trying to understand what will the difference be between a class 10 (like the one El Presidente suggests) and the one I found at Argos that seems to be a Class 1 (is the difference that huge as suggested by 9 class 'places').

Ps: they both read HC 1, on the actual card. Was I wrong to think that they were different class?

Upvote 0
Sorry, I didn't notice that you had posted a link. The link you posted doesn't show any class, so I'd assume it's a Class 4. You won't notice that much difference on a slower phone (there will be some) but why pay more for a slower card? San Disk is best, but the ones Samsung put out (I have no idea whether they make them or just buy them labeled) have usually proven to be pretty good. I've never had to deal with that division of Samsung, so I can't say whether they're more difficult to deal with than San Disk is, but if there's a company easier to deal with than San Disk it's because they give their products away free.

Upvote 0
Can you try mounting and unmounting the card from the storage menu?

Might also be worth formatting it in the phone as opposed to the PC? What File System did you use to format? Fat32? NTFS? The former is your best option.

Thanks. I have formatted the card on a PC, Fat32. I have mounted and unmounted the card to no avail... I will try to format it on the telephone and see what happens. Do I need to use the 'erase the SD card' function or is there another one?

I am confused as to the nature of the problem though, as the phone seems to have created an emulated SD card, named it SDcard0 so when I subsequently inserted an SD card in the phone it gave it the name of SDcard1. I am a bit weary of attempting to delete the 'emulated' and/or the 'SDcard0' folders (I did try doing so using the Astro file explorer and after a couple of minutes of inactivity I gave up) just in case I mess things up.

I hope I will not have to live with this, although admittedly on second thought it is not the end of the world...

Upvote 0
Unless you've backed stuff up, don't format emulated or SDcard0! SD Card 0 is what the phone uses to simulate an SD Card when you plug it in to your PC (in very basic, laymans terms).

What happens when the card is inserted and you connect the phone to your PC, do 2 drives appear? If you head to Settings -> Xperia Connectivity -> USB Connectivity, what's the USB Connection Mode?

I've just reread one of the posts, you say it's not picking up 2 SD Cards, but both those cards work fine in another handset, I wonder if the issue is hardware as opposed to software then?

Upvote 0
Thanks for the help. No, the phone recognises and uses the SD cards, no problem. I have music and photo in them. My issue is the existence of the sdcard0 which makes the application in question (app manager iii) think the SD card is emulated when I ask it to move some apps to the SD. Otherwise it is fine. Folder and file managers see the SD card and recognise it, no problem.

Upvote 0
Ah, ok. I misunderstood. :eek:

I'm not sure you can move apps TBH, with 16GB of storage, that should be ample space for apps etc?

You are right. It is indeed. I just cannot understand why the app manager iii application (formerly know as apps2SD) believes that there is a simulated SD card and does not see the actual SD I use. I suspect it has to do with this partition you mentioned as being normal (SDcard0) and I thought it was an exception appearing only in my phone...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones