1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Which tablet to buy?

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by fosters723, Nov 11, 2011.

1. fosters723

fosters723 Newbie
    None

Sep 22, 2011
    I bought the impression tablet, its slow to respond to touch, slow to load to the internet, the app store SUCKS. I want something for around 190.00

Also when you hit the four lower buttons on the bottom is there a way to change the vibrate settings, i think something is wrong

Advertisement

2. jerofld

jerofld Fixing stuff is not easy
    None

May 10, 2011
    Male
    I fix stuff
    Over there <points>
    You get what you pay for when it comes to tablets. Honestly, if it doesn't say it has Honeycomb on it, I wouldn't touch it. But they get pricy.

No one makes a good, but cheap, tablet. Not yet, anyways.

substring likes this.
  3. fosters723

fosters723 Newbie
    None

Sep 22, 2011
    it retails for 350, your telling me you get what you pay for at 350.00...what a rip then thats ******ed. What is honeycomb what does it do and why should I look for it. I guess if i cant find anything I am stuck with the ipad

4. fosters723

fosters723 Newbie
    None

Sep 22, 2011
    Ok lets try this again with as much detailed information as I can give, to get some help.

I want to buy a tablet for my husband for Xmas.
    I don't know what to look for I dont know what it needs to do or have.
    We have Iphones and love them but the Ipad is to much.
    I bought a pandigital and when it got here I saw it didn't do what I wanted
    I bought the android tablet and it doesnt have the android market, it has the slide me market which has nothing it in. Its also slow to response of touch and loading. Anyway to fix this?
    There are a million tablets out there, how do i know what to look for?

The impression retails for 350 I was able to find it for 190. I'd like to stay around 200.00
    It doesnt need to be perfect

Id like
    android market
    wifi
    loads sites like addicitinggames.com
    reader
    I dont know what else i want or need it to do?!?!

Best buy has coby tablets, walmart has a ton..never heard of any of these

HELP PLEASE :( I used to love this stuff and dont even know where to start or what to look for

5. jerofld

jerofld Fixing stuff is not easy
    None

May 10, 2011
    Male
    I fix stuff
    Over there <points>
    LOL

Umm...let's see...you dislike your $200 tablet because it's slow to respond, it doesn't even have the Android Market installed, and loads internet webpages slowly. I have none of those problems on my $350 tablet. I can run all of the latest/greatest games for tablets. And you're asking me what makes the $350+ tablets worth $350+?

If you buy cheap hardware, chances are you're going to get a cheap experience. What version of Android are you running on that thing? Eclair (2.1)? Froyo (2.2)? I've even seen Donut (1.6) on tablets. The processor on that thing is probably slow, too.

6. fosters723

fosters723 Newbie
    None

Sep 22, 2011
    No, I am saying this tablet that I have cost 350.00 I paid 190

i have version 2.2

7. nlsme

nlsme Android Expert
    None

Jun 23, 2010
    best buy is going to have a few good options priced in that range on black Friday. the asus eee transformer, and the acer iconia tab.

8. mcgam

mcgam Lurker
    None

Nov 11, 2011
    I also purchased a "cheap tablet" ($109.00US). However I downloaded a better operating system from "Hard Core Hacker" My tablet was a Chinese MID M806B that had some version of Android 2.2 on it. When I rooted and hacked it, it ran much better. I purchased this tablet in early September, my first visit to Android. After I "rooted" it and hacked it some (I cut my teeth on a Vic-20 and did a lot of programming in DOS) the tablet actually ran quite well. HCH also includes the real Google market and other nice add-on's... Maybe you can check into this and it might help you.

mcgam:cool:

9. pastafarian

pastafarian Pâtes avec votre foie
    None

Nov 4, 2009
    Sales
    The Sea of Tranquility
    I'm guessing you have the Impression 10? It has a decent spec, but it's stuck running a basic non optimized version of Android (spec page says 2.3) made for a phone. The low cost tablet makers don't spend a lot on software development and hardware integration. There's no market access or official Google apps because they're ot paying members of the alliance. They also won't have access to Honeycomb (3.x) as it was never open sourced. All this usually results in a somewhat sluggish and unstable experience. Fortunately, the dev community often comes to the rescue. We have a forum for this tablet here , unfortunately there's no activity there yet. You might want to search around for other forums with a few devs interested in hacking this thing. Good luck!

10. pastafarian

pastafarian Pâtes avec votre foie
    None

Nov 4, 2009
    Sales
    The Sea of Tranquility
    Unless hubby is a bit of a geek (in which case, he already knows what he wants) who likes to tinker and doesn't expect much, save your money and avoid the cheap tablets. If you want something cheap with better functionality, wait to see what the dev's do with the Fire and Nook Tablet and grab one of them. Otherwise, If it were me, I'd wait for the next generation of Ice Cream Sandwich based tablets or spend (a lot) more for a Samsung or even an (gulp) ipad. I have a Viewsonic Gtablet and frankly are not convinced that anyone <needs> a tablet.

11. Doit2it

Doit2it Android Expert
    None

Oct 23, 2009
    Male
    FedEx... yea, those guys
    Nashville, TN
    The ASUS Eee Pad Transformer Prime will be available in the US and selected other markets in early December. It's the latest ASUS tablet and is rumored to be $500. Quad core processor and better graphics than any tablet on the market currently. But don't expect to see it in any Black Friday adds: ASUS Eee Pad Transformer Prime

Of course if you want to stay near $200 I'd go for the Amazon Kindle Fire. It doesn't have the Google market, but has the Amazon Market which has most, if not everything the Google Market has, plus a free app every day. Kindle Fire - Full Color 7" Multi-Touch Display with Wi-Fi

Don't fall for the "off brand" tablets. Many have issues that drive the owners crazy. Arguably, there are a couple of good ones out there, but it's hit or miss.

I personally own the ASUS Transformer and love it. Street price is currently $370 to $400.

A few of the "off brand" tablets use a resistive touch screen which isn't as responsive as the capacitive screen on your iPhone or better tablets/phones. The only plus to that type of screen is you might try using a stylus with it.

12. psychotron

None

May 1, 2010
    iPad2...and everything else.

13. substring

substring Android Enthusiast
    None

Aug 8, 2010
    Dallas, Texas
    Precisely. There is a reason why some tablets are cheaper than others. Nobody will buy a Mercedes if a Chevy has all the same features, capabilities and craftsmanship, right? ;)

14. BeerTactics

BeerTactics Lurker
    None

Nov 12, 2011
    IT-guy
    Agree that ASUS Eee Pad Transformer -series is great. Out of your price range, but that series can serve as a small laptops, have superior battery life with dock.