1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Which tablet to buy?

Discussion in 'Android Help' started by keanoo, Oct 17, 2014.

1. keanoo

keanoo Newbie

So I was holding out for the Nexus 9, but I'm not too impressed with that so I'm considering other tablets. Size wise I want at least 8", but the bigger the better. I'm currently considering:

Galaxy Tab S 10.5 ~

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. DonB

DonB ♡ Truth, Justice and the American Way !! ♡ ™

Moved here for proper help and advice ;)

keanoo likes this.
  3. icemanchilled

icemanchilled Member

Umm, depends what you use your tablet for.

General use like browsing, video, reading, viewing images, facebook, netflix, youtube and some minor gaming than a Galaxy Tab S would work well for you.

If however you play a lot of 3d games and enjoy smooth framerates you should definitely go for the nvidia Shield tablet as it's around 2-3 times faster, for general use it's very good also but lower resolution than the Tab S display.

Nexus 9 uses a slightly faster version of Tegra K1 but does have a higher resolution to work with so it might end up a little slower than the shield when you take display resolution into account for gaming but otherwise should be very fast. Also the display uses a 4:3 ratio so it's not going to work well with your widescreen content.

Unsure how Android apps and games deal with devices using the 4:3 display ratio, might be a bit messy until they update.

4. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor

Usually, having the same brand devices work good due to familiarity. Having different branded devices sometimes leads to annoyances (I know, experienced it). Which is in your case, I'd say the Sony, unless you find something about it that would make another device as an overall better choice. Also, remember that the Tab S has an AMOLED display. People either love it or hate it. You have to see it for yourself to decide.

I have a Note 2 (5.5in) and a Tab Plus (7in), and despite the small difference in total screen diagonal, I actually prefer to do my games on the bigger screen. I tried a 10.1in before and found it too big, making me realize that an 8in screen is perfect for me for gaming. Due to the age of my Tab, I actually find myself wanting to buy a new one too. Lol.