1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root Which tether app works best with gb? (Legally tethering)

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Fadelight, May 23, 2011.

1. Fadelight

Fadelight Android Expert
    None

Oct 29, 2009
    Security
    Mulberry, FL
    NOTE: I am paying the $20/month for unlimited tethering, so those who clicked the link just to lecture me on the morals and legalities of tethering, your job here is finished. ok? Thanks. There are already enough threads around here which discuss that.

Now...

I absolutely despise the 3g mobile hotspot that came with the phone. it seems way too finicky, so I am looking for something else to use. It doesn't have to be wireless tether... USB is fine. I'm pretty sure VZ doesn't care how you tether anyway, so long as they are getting your money.

I absolutely love pdanet, and it is the app I almost always turn to, but it doesn't seem to like GB at all. Whenever I try to start usb tethering, I get a "Failed to start" message. Wireless tether seems to work if you are looking at the phone, but the pc has a lot of trouble with connecting to it. I can get it to work, but it is just as spotty as the 3g mobile hotspot.

Before I end up with 300 programs installed on my laptop, I was hoping maybe someone around here had some recommendations on apps that actually work good.

Thanks in advance.

Edit: I got pdanet to work. Had to reinstall and reboot the phone. It is so much faster than the mobile hotspot app. :)

Advertisement

2. GandalfTehGray

GandalfTehGray Android Expert
    None

Dec 19, 2010
    Texas
    You sure its unlimited?

And if you ever need to fire up a hotspot, i prefer Barnacle Wifi Tether, but i think only the experimental app works on GB

3. Fadelight

Fadelight Android Expert
    None

Oct 29, 2009
    Security
    Mulberry, FL
    Ok I stand corrected... It's only 2gb. But its plenty for my usage anyway. ;)

4. justinf89

justinf89 Member
    None

Oct 9, 2010
    I use the tether app which works fantastic. Tether BlackBerry, Tether Android | Tether.com. I think it was like $29.99 when it first came out for android. Def. a lot cheaper than $20 a month. Now that I have rooting, I'd like to use wifi tether.

Hey not to hijack but I tried barnacle and wifi tether and neither work.
    Barnacle works but when the laptop connects to my phone, it just comes up with the verizon tether website to pay for it. What gives? I can't find anybody with the same problem...

5. trav473

trav473 Android Enthusiast
    None

Jan 10, 2010
    Call VZW and sign up for the tethering option on your account. "Free" tethering is gone, they are onto rooters and are tracking!!!

6. Electrasol

Electrasol Lurker
    None

Apr 6, 2011
    Ignore this guy.

Been using tethering for...almost a couple years now (wow time flies). Only change in my bill is a 30 dollar reduction per month when I switched from my old Env Touch to the Droid X.

Yes, I even went up to a bit over 15 gig transfer a couple of billing cycles.

7. fonefreak

fonefreak Well-Known Member
    None

Oct 25, 2010
    North of the ecliptic
    I've been using Tether for Android since it came out, just as I used Tether for Blackberry previous to my DX. Good, solid program. Well worth every cent.