• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Which Update

Majid

Feb 19, 2010
Hi everybody

I recently got a HTC hero as an upgrade from carphonewarehouse (uk) and am still new to this brave new android world. Its an orange upgrade but i think they've sent me an unlocked one because theres nothing orange on it, no homescreen or links or anything.

now i aint to bothered about that (pleased to have an unlocked one) but this lead to a few queries which i was hoping u guys could help me on

1) how do i know if its locked or not?

2) when htc release updates, do i download the one specifically for orange or a generic one

3) i know a few updates to the rom have come recently, i wasnt gonna bother updating initially as i thought i'd wait for 2.1, but with having to wait sometime for it i was wondering whether its worth going for the latest one? the version i have at present is firmware 1.5 and build 2.73.405.66 with software 1.0.0.a6288... it works ok, the only complaint i have is that the in-call volume is too low

and btw what is rooting? is it the same as unlocking?

thanks guys sorry if the qu's are a bit stupid!

Majid

1. It sounds like you have an unlocked one since you have no links etc for orange stuff. Another way you can check is to burrow other ppls sims from other networks and try it out. Thats the only way i know.

2. If yours is unlocked then download the generic one. If orange, then orange one.

3. You have the lastest firmware, build, and software already.

Rooting is basically getting complete control over your phone. You can delete original programs etc. Dont think its the same as unlocking.

I just got my hero a while ago, so if any of my answers are wrong sorry. lol. but im sure other ppl will correct me.

Upvote 0
2) Just try either upgrade. If you get a Customer ID error, or if it says it's not suitible for your device, you need the other one.

3) Try an app called Audio Manager. It creates a widget which you can click on to set the in call volume (amoung other things).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones