• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Apps Which version control tool for Android?

ac4android

Nov 3, 2015
I need to use version control, you know, the check-in check-out tool for developers.

I understand github offers that.

Can someone point me to documentation, where to start reading and researching?

What is the most popular one, preferably easy to use :) ?

Thanks.

Git is very popular, but its strength is in facilitating distributed development. That's why Github exists, to allow developers to obtain the code from a central place.
If you aren't involved in a team development project with individuals remote from each other, or there's no need to share your code with other people, then I personally wouldn't use it. You can create a project on Github, but be aware that this will be public, and anyone can view it, and access your code. Unless you pay for a private repository. You may not want just anyone to access your application code.

At work we use Subversion (SVN). This is supported by Android Studio. You can set up a local code repository for use with your own projects. There's also nothing stopping you setting up a local Git repository, if you wish. But I'm much more familiar with Subversion, and its concept of branching. Code branches allow you to develop new features separate from the main development line (referred to as the trunk)

Reactions: ac4android
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones