1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Which version control tool for Android?

Discussion in 'Android Development' started by ac4android, May 4, 2017.

1. ac4android

ac4android Well-Known Member

I need to use version control, you know, the check-in check-out tool for developers.

I understand github offers that.

Can someone point me to documentation, where to start reading and researching?

What is the most popular one, preferably easy to use :) ?

Thanks.

2. Best Answer:
    Post #2 by Deleted User, May 4, 2017 (1 points)

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

3. Deleted User

Deleted User Guest

Git is very popular, but its strength is in facilitating distributed development. That's why Github exists, to allow developers to obtain the code from a central place.
    If you aren't involved in a team development project with individuals remote from each other, or there's no need to share your code with other people, then I personally wouldn't use it. You can create a project on Github, but be aware that this will be public, and anyone can view it, and access your code. Unless you pay for a private repository. You may not want just anyone to access your application code.

At work we use Subversion (SVN). This is supported by Android Studio. You can set up a local code repository for use with your own projects. There's also nothing stopping you setting up a local Git repository, if you wish. But I'm much more familiar with Subversion, and its concept of branching. Code branches allow you to develop new features separate from the main development line (referred to as the trunk)

ac4android likes this.
  4. bayk

bayk Member

If you are not using any, use git because google put all sources with git. It will be easier for your to access them.
    [​IMG]