• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Which version to root?

I was wondering if there is a difference in which version of the Hero that would be best to root from.

I currently have the 1.5 but am wondering if I should upgrade to the 2.1 and then root.

Thnaks for your expertise -

I would go ahead and upgrade to 2.1 so you get the newest radio, prl, profile, pri, etc. from sprint and not have to flash to a sense rom later to do it.

And here is a file called z4root(the easiest way) it is an app that is no longer available from the market. It roots your phone and you dont need your computer. Just download the file, download a file explorer from the market(ie es file explorer or atro file manager) and install the .apk from there. It will be in your download folder. After that open the app it will have a button that says root and you tap it and your rooted. Then follow the threads below to get a recovery flashed, make a nandroid, and then flash a new rom(I would suggest asop's gingerbread rom, super fast and sexy). And lastly enjoy your new phone.

z4root.1.3.0.apk

Here are some other threads where we have walked people through rooting and flashing. They will be very helpful from this point on.

Ok, Im ready to ROOT. How long is the process?
need help? come here!(general questions)
Sprint HTC Hero Rooting Questions

Upvote 0
All what you need is in this thread I create here>>> "Lots useful root info"

I was wondering if there is a difference in which version of the Hero that would be best to root from.

I currently have the 1.5 but am wondering if I should upgrade to the 2.1 and then root.

Thnaks for your expertise -

Upvote 0
Ok, I am unable to update to 2.1.

When I go into the update portion, it searches for any update and comes back stating there is no firmware update.

Am I doing something wrong?

I looked on Sprint for downloading the updated version, but it states that I will lose all my info saved on my sd card. Is this the correct way in updating? It states I should remove my sd card if I update through the computer. Will it update without the sd card? And is ummounting my card the same as removing?

Upvote 0
You can always back up your SD card pre RUU, this way you have a back up on your PC for safe keeping, then you will have to flash 2.1 RUU via your PC. make sure you have HTC sync on your PC and then download the latest RUU from the HTC website, then simply mount your phone to your PC and then go to the RUU and double click it and follow the instructions. simple as that, that is simply a precaution for them incase it deletes something from your SD card, so back it up first, simple as that

Then you can use Z4Root as your phone will be updated with the latest radio and PRL.

Ok, I am unable to update to 2.1.

When I go into the update portion, it searches for any update and comes back stating there is no firmware update.

Am I doing something wrong?

I looked on Sprint for downloading the updated version, but it states that I will lose all my info saved on my sd card. Is this the correct way in updating? It states I should remove my sd card if I update through the computer. Will it update without the sd card? And is ummounting my card the same as removing?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones