1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Which Yahoo Chat client does NOT use SMS?

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by bill-e, Jul 18, 2011.

1. bill-e

bill-e Lurker
    None

Jul 18, 2011
    Hi,

When using the Yahoo Chat client today I noticed that some of my messages were going out as SMS texts. Why was that?

Does the Mobile IM client only send as IM or is there any other Yahoo Chat client that does not use SMS to send messages?

Thanks
    Bill

Advertisement

2. bill-e

bill-e Lurker
    None

Jul 18, 2011
  3. takeshi

takeshi Android Expert
    None

Dec 6, 2009
    I'm not aware of any that use SMS. You should get permissions warnings for apps that do.

4. John Redcorn

John Redcorn Android Enthusiast
    None

May 9, 2011
    I don't use any kind of IM anymore except gtalk every once in a while but I know back when I used a winmo phone almost all the im clients sent and received via sms except one called palringo, looks like its available on android too.

One neat thing about it (on winmo at least, I'd assume the android one has this and more) was that you could insert still pictures from the camera realtime into a chat, it had a button take a picture when you clicked, it immediately uploaded the jpg to palringos servers and sent an http link to the pic to your recipient.

Also I don't know how it works now but back then at least, palringo did not connect directly to yahoo/live/aim/etc servers. Your phone had an ip connection to palringos servers and they had a connection to yahoo or whatever. Just FYI your stuff may be going through a 3rd party system.

5. AngryHatter

AngryHatter Android Expert
    None

Jan 21, 2011
    QA Admin
    SoCal