• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

White EVO = No 4G?!?!?

OK, here is the fix to get 4g to stop dropping off your EVO..works 100%

Thanks to Clubtech over at XDA..

"I had the exact same problem. It has nothing to do with signal strength.
For some reason, the Wimax is set to disconnect after 10 seconds if idle time.
Idle time is defined by the number of seconds no traffic is passing to or from the internet.
When it disconnects, wimax will rescan and reconnect to the 4G network.
I found a fix for this, you will need your MSL code though to fix this so call Sprint and ask for it.

##DATA#
EDIT mode
Put in your MSL code.
Wimax
Change "Wimax_idle_sleep" from 10 to 300 seconds.
Click menu > commit changes.

Your phone will reboot and problem solved."

Of course, if your phone isn't fully registered on the Sprint network, which may take 24 hours, this wont do a thing..Gotta learn some patience, people..:cool:

Reactions: drexappeal
Upvote 0
So I got my white EVO yesterday. Had all kinds of problems setting up the account - the best buy guy was on the phone for about 2hrs.

While I am driving home I notice that 4G would just loop between "scanning" and "Connecting to Sprint". I checked coverage maps and drive to different areas and spend about 1.5 hrs on the pone with sprint all with no luck. The sprint folks are significantly less than useless.

So this afternoon I went back to Best buy to swap phone, I explain what the issue is, the scratch head and call sprint. after being on the phone for about 30mins the best buy guy decides to swap the phone. while this is going on another guys comes in to swap his black EVO because the screen was separating. All they have is white one so he decides to go for one of those. Now his Black EVO is connected to 4G and 2 other EVOs in the store are connected to 4G.

My phone is swapped and his is swapped, and neither can connect to the 4G network. Black phones sitting right next to the white one connect with out an issue, but 3 out of box white phone will not connect to 4G.

Anyone else with a white phone having issues? Sprint Tech support has no clue, and is really no help

BTW- my first white phone needed the latest OTA update. the second did not.

I think the issue is related to hardware. My wife has a black EVO(launch day), with 1.47 OTA installed, connecting to 4G without problem(solid signal and good speed). I had my black EVO on July 4, 2 days before the release of the white one, and I have not been able to connect to 4G. Best buy swamped my EVO with another new black EVO. It still did the same "scanning Loop". Then, bb swamped my 2nd black EVO with the white one. The white one is also doing the same thing. I compared all 4 EVOs. My wife is on hardware 0002 and the rest of three are 0003. The three were having the "Scanning Loop". I think this is only happen to certain 4G market. I believe all of the white EVO is using 0003 hardware.

I went back to best buy yesterday and ready for the 5th. Then the reps told me that all of EVOs they activated this week are having the same issue. The sprint store called me that they found a phone that work. I was told it was 0002 and a reconditioned phone. I didn't get the replacement because I didn't want to get a reconditioned phone as I just got the new phone few day ago.

Upvote 0
It isn't hardware related... Plenty of 003's are on 4g. I suspect if there is a problem it is with the authentication. It can take 24 hours (and possibly more) for it to get onto Sprint's system. It could also be them working on the authentication method in that market. Remember they have to change somethings so that they can start charging for the Hotspot on 4g so this is a possibility. Possible the newer phones have something software related that has a newer authentication method.. Tons of possibilities really none of which I would wager are hardware related.

Upvote 0
Update your PRL. I just posted to Sprint Forum thread here: HTC EVO 4G:4G not connecting?

It appears that a new PRL was just released and I am trying to figure out if this update fixes the 4G problems that many of us are seeing. I have had my phone for over a week now and I still have never connected to 4G and I have returned my original phone and received a 2nd phone, neither of which would connect to 4G.

The above linked thread is detailing what seems to be a problem with plenty of folks having cyclical "Scanning.. Connecting to Sprint... " issues.

Can someone with a white phone or is having problems connecting to 4G do a PRL update and report back?

Upvote 0
Update your PRL. I just posted to Sprint Forum thread here: HTC EVO 4G:4G not connecting?

It appears that a new PRL was just released and I am trying to figure out if this update fixes the 4G problems that many of us are seeing. I have had my phone for over a week now and I still have never connected to 4G and I have returned my original phone and received a 2nd phone, neither of which would connect to 4G.

The above linked thread is detailing what seems to be a problem with plenty of folks having cyclical "Scanning.. Connecting to Sprint... " issues.

Can someone with a white phone or is having problems connecting to 4G do a PRL update and report back?

Updated PRL earlier, no change.

Contacted a Sprint rep on the phone, noted that Sprint / HTC are investigating the issue and are working on a fix. No ETA. Told me to call back in a week if there was no OTA update / change.

Upvote 0
But it shouldn't be possible because if you bought on launch you'd be out of luck since the white came AFTER 30 days since Jun 4th.

Not true. My white EVO is an exchange. But, I do have to preface that with the fact that I had to get my 1st replacement on 6/24. Then, my phone got bricked with the update on 6/28, but no EVO's were in stock. They allowed me to do a priority exchange for a white one...then, the Best Buy by my house just happened to have 1 EVO in stock on 7/4, so I was able to swap at that time. When Best Buy called me to let me know that the White EVO's were available and were calling to schedule an appointment for me to pick up, I asked them if they'll still have no problem with me exchanging again. Answer is in my hands in the form of a white EVO.

FYI-Even before I had any issues with any of my EVO's, I had called Best Buy to ask if they could extend my 30 day exchange, so that I could get the White EVO and the manager (at that time) said that if I come in and do a pre-order, they'd put down in writing that they extended my 30 day exchange (Makes sense for them because that means they sold a $50 gift card to me).

Upvote 0
Updated PRL earlier, no change.

Contacted a Sprint rep on the phone, noted that Sprint / HTC are investigating the issue and are working on a fix. No ETA. Told me to call back in a week if there was no OTA update / change.

Yeah, I updated my PRL last night and checked the 4G connection outside my work. When I enabled 4G, it didn't show any signal at all (Used to get between 1-2 bars outside, by my work).

Upvote 0
Yeah, I updated my PRL last night and checked the 4G connection outside my work. When I enabled 4G, it didn't show any signal at all (Used to get between 1-2 bars outside, by my work).

I have been watching the PRL closely since yesterday afternoon. While the PRL update always seems to report a "new" PRL update, the number doesn't change. Not until just this afternoon did the version number change to 60668.

Are you positive that you download 60668 last night?

Upvote 0
Sprint actually just called me back in response to my trouble ticket.

The 4G "Scanning... Connecting...." issue is definitely not a provisioning problem and it is something that both Sprint and HTC are working on and they still have not found a resolution to the problem.

They better find a resolution quickly or they will have lots of returned Evo as people's 30 days come up.

Upvote 0
I have been watching the PRL closely since yesterday afternoon. While the PRL update always seems to report a "new" PRL update, the number doesn't change. Not until just this afternoon did the version number change to 60668.

Are you positive that you download 60668 last night?

Phone is showing 60668 as the PRL Version.

Upvote 0
Re-updated the PRL again, went outside, checked 4G...still no signal.

Do you get the "Scanning... Connecting to Sprint..." endless loop? My phone is able to see the 4G signal and I get the "4g is available notification" but it never connects.

If you are not seeing the 4G signal at all, I think you have a different issue than the one being discussed in the link I referenced above.

Upvote 0
I have never been able to connect to the 4G since I got the phone on 7/4. I called sprint to report this on 7/6. I had 1.5 hours with the tech support. The level 3 tech saw my phone was trying to connect to the 4G then my phone dropped the connection. So, the tech told me it could be the faulty device. So, I went to 2 of the sprint stores. They flashed my phone and recreated my profile. Then they told me the same thing - hardware issue. Later, I went back to bestbuy where I got it from. They told me they were prohibited to sell the remaining evos because HTC/sprint recalled the remaining evos :thinking:. Fortunately, bestbuy was able to order me a new unit and exchange it the next day. However, the unit still had the same issue. Now, I am on my 3rd one with the same issue.

I updated the prl. The "scanning loop" is still there. :(

Upvote 0
However, the unit still had the same issue. Now, I am on my 3rd one with the same issue.

I updated the prl. The "scanning loop" is still there. :(

I'm on my second one with the same issue. Hopefully they will have a resolution to this quickly. It almost seems to me that there is a large number of phone out there that came out of the same "batch" that are bad.

I think we will be getting another phone once they figure out and correct the actual problem.

I wonder how long this will take to make the news on engadget, etc.

Upvote 0
Do you get the "Scanning... Connecting to Sprint..." endless loop? My phone is able to see the 4G signal and I get the "4g is available notification" but it never connects.

If you are not seeing the 4G signal at all, I think you have a different issue than the one being discussed in the link I referenced above.

Having the same exact issue. Just says scanning, connecting, and then disconnects. I also get the 4g available notification. My boyfriend has an Evo and is able to connect....in fact, we've stood right next to each other in our bedroom and his is connected to 4g and mine just keeps scanning.

Upvote 0
do you guys even read the thread before posting?????? do this, and your 4G will STOP "searching for connection"!!!

Idle time is defined by the number of seconds no traffic is passing to or from the internet.
I found a fix for this, you will need your MSL code though to fix this so call Sprint and ask for it.

##DATA#
EDIT mode
Put in your MSL code.
Wimax

Upvote 0
do you guys even read the thread before posting?????? do this, and your 4G will STOP "searching for connection"!!!

##DATA#
EDIT mode
Put in your MSL code.
Wimax

I had already applied this change and it didn't work. "Scanning Loop" continues. I think this is for those phones that used to be able to connect to 4G.

Upvote 0
are you in a confirmed area that has strong 4G?

I am in chicago,and inside my home office, I used to get the endless "trying to connect" message..once I applied this change, I get a 4G "lock" all the time now, on all 3 EVO's we have,in the same places that didn't lock before...
Have you had your phone ON at least 48 hours, to ensure its fully "recognized" on Sprints network?

Upvote 0

##DATA#
EDIT mode
Put in your MSL code.
Wimax

The issue is not that the phone disconnects, the issue is that the phone NEVER connects.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones