• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root white screen of death

mlee19841

May 22, 2010
my phone is stuck on the white screen that says htc incredible, now when i try to use the unroot method put the zip file. on the sd card and turn off phone and turn it on by holding the volume down and power button. when it tries to load the file as it should , it says no image or wrong image and does not load anything. now im stuck when i try to go into the recovery it lets me get there but i cant even wipe anything. it says something like E: Cant mount.... so do i just need to drop my phone in water and call up the insurance co that seems to be my only idea as of now any help will be greatly appreciated

First off is this what it does when it bricks? Second is there currently anything you can do about a brick? If a phone is bricked can you get into recovery?

hasn't happened to me but there is a part of me that wants to get all experimental before too long. Trying to learn. I can't buy a developer phone and can't figure out how to make the AVD act like a real phone like for rooting and Romming and all that stuff. I can't figure out how to get it into recovery even. So if I get all wild and crazy and something inevitably goes horribly wrong would I be able to use my recovery sd (old 1Gig card with various ROMs and Recovery images on it) or would I have to Assurion?

Upvote 0
First off is this what it does when it bricks? Second is there currently anything you can do about a brick? If a phone is bricked can you get into recovery?

hasn't happened to me but there is a part of me that wants to get all experimental before too long. Trying to learn. I can't buy a developer phone and can't figure out how to make the AVD act like a real phone like for rooting and Romming and all that stuff. I can't figure out how to get it into recovery even. So if I get all wild and crazy and something inevitably goes horribly wrong would I be able to use my recovery sd (old 1Gig card with various ROMs and Recovery images on it) or would I have to Assurion?

Generally speaking, if your phone will come on and you know what you are doing, you can recover. Along the same lines most consider a bricked phone to be one that will not turn on at all.

Upvote 0

If the phone is bricked that means that you can not do anything at all. It is a paperweight. Won't even turn on. Won't even attempt to turn on.

So no, if you are able to get to the splash screen then the phone is not bricked.

And no, there is no way to recover from a bricked phone.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones