1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root White Screen of Death!

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by cpatton, Jan 9, 2012.

1. cpatton

cpatton Lurker
    None

Jan 9, 2012
    So I was loathe to create one of these threads, but I can't seem to figure out how to fix my phone. I installed revolutionary and then MIUI OS on my phone some time ago, but update MIUI every month or so. My phone was just charging last night, and when I wake up this morning, it is in a white screen of death.

I CAN get to the boot loader. I CAN'T boot into recovery, because I get the selfsame white screen of death, and reboot loop. Fastboot, Reboot, Recovery all end up in a white screen of death loop. Troubleshooting guide doesn't have any advice for this situation.

So I thought maybe unrooting would help. I went to this guide: http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-all...ooting-dummies-guide-gingerbread-edition.html However I don't have a miniSD reader, so I don't know how I would get a PC36IMG file onto it to flash an update. SO I tried the alternative at the bottom of the unrooting section: RUU_SuperSonic_GB_Sprint_WWE_4.54.651.1_Radio_2.15 .00.0808_NV_2.15_release_220182_signed.exe

Well, I connected the phone, it "updated". Now my Bootloader reads:

-Revolutionary-
    SUPERSONIC EVT2-3 SHIP S-OFF
    HBOOT-6.16.1002
    MICROP-041f
    TOUCH PANEL-ATMELC03_16ac
    RADIO-2.15.00.0808
    Mar 8 2011,17:02:15

But Fastboot, Hardboot, and Recovery still yield a white screen of death loop (3-7 seconds white screen, sudden turn off for 3 seconds, repeat endlessly). Even tried ClearStorage again.

SO i tried the update utility again (RUU_SuperSonic_GB_Sprint_WWE_4.54.651.1_Radio_2.15 .00.0808_NV_2.15_release_220182_signed.exe ). My image version: 4.54.651.1, just like the update. Update runs again, completes, "congratulations" screen.

Meanwhile, my phone is sitting in a white screen boot loop.

----------------------------------------------
    My problem now is that I want to take it in and get it replaced, I pay sprint the $7 a month insurance, but I don't think I can take it in with S-OFF and -Revolutionary- bootloader.

Is it possible to get the bootloader back to normal? Furthermore, is it possible without me having to go out and buy a microSD reader for my computer to shove some zips onto it, is there anyway I can access the SD from my phone?

Thanks in advance guys.

Note: I suppose it may be worth mentioning that I have been getting more and more problems recently. I think in the past week I've had TWO random OS crashes and restarts of my phone, and once in the past month I had to take the battery out and put it back in (but that's because MIUI doesn't deal with low battery starts very well). I do use titanium backup and nandroid, but I don't see how that will help without SD card or recovery access.

Advertisement

2. youdoofus

youdoofus Android Expert
    None

Feb 26, 2011
    Tech support rep for Knology
    so dak
    Welcome to the forum man!! Albeit under a bad set of circumstances :(

can you download a fresh copy of amon ra's recovery and install it so that you can at least get to recovery and install teh ruu to unroot?

ocnbrze likes this.
  3. andygu3

andygu3 Android Expert
    None

May 24, 2010
    Lewis Center, OH
    Boot loop of death:(

4. MizzouBrent

MizzouBrent Android Expert
    None

Feb 13, 2011
    Olathe, KS
    Yeah I don't think there is a fix for this :(

ocnbrze likes this.
  5. Rxpert83

Rxpert83 Dr. Feelgood

Aug 30, 2011
    Male
    Graduate Student
    MN
    Well, theres a confirmed case of MUIU causing it, so its not just the pure cm7

ocnbrze likes this.
  6. youdoofus

youdoofus Android Expert
    None

Feb 26, 2011
    Tech support rep for Knology
    so dak
    but if he can get to the bootloader, wouldnt he be able to install a recovery over the old one and see if that helps?

ocnbrze likes this.
  7. MizzouBrent

MizzouBrent Android Expert
    None

Feb 13, 2011
    Olathe, KS

Yeah but I think miui has a cm source base.

8. argedion

argedion The TechnoFrog

Jun 20, 2011
    The Infernal Swamp

I think we went through all that with Andy and it was a no go.

ocnbrze likes this.
  9. Granite1

Granite1 Zercron Encrusted Tweezer
    None

Dec 27, 2010
    Male
    Highway Construction Inspection
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Yes, it seems like the bootloop of death. You could try and unroot and then flash the latest ruu. It won't hurt to try it out, you never know. :(

10. ocnbrze

ocnbrze DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!!
    None

May 13, 2010
    Male
    being a flashaholic sponsor, helping others gettin
    los angeles
    yeah i think that his problem is that he does not have a card reader.

@cpatton it looks like that is what you are gonna have to do, unfortunately. you will need to get those files onto the card somehow.

11. cpatton

cpatton Lurker
    None

Jan 9, 2012
    Honestly the crap of it is I did a nandroid the night before, but didn't back up my contacts yet, and the last back up of contacts I have is from a year ago. I'm hoping that might come back with the nandroid recovery if I can get this thing working again.

Anyways, I have a poor understanding of all of the different levels of software in the mobile tech world. Literally the 2nd hour of reading I have done so far. So I don't really know where the lines are drawn between the baseband, bootloader, recovery / terminal software (I assume that is what clockwork mod is), and the OS. I think I found the amon Ra file, but I've seen references to other packages as well (superwipe, etc. Not sure if superwipe is applicable here). Direct links and descriptive / newbie information is welcome, I have the tech experience but not the mobile.

My coworker is bringing in a micro -> SD card converter and I can use my ZBOX integrated SD card reader to shove some zips onto the SD card and play around with it. I'll be sure to keep you guys updated on what happens with it. Regardless I'm rather skeptical that this is OS related, simply because the crash occurs in less than half the time that the HTC splash screen usually requires before the OS splash screen takes over in a normal condition boot. So I would think this is on a lower level of software.

Maybe if I shove the Revolution process on it again I could return it to the original rooted state. Seems like whatever code is broken here is probably associated with that, since the recovery software was part of that package.

@Granite, @yoodoofus: didn't I just try to unroot and shove the latest sprint software onto the phone? Not entirely sure what ruu stands for, but it is in the name of the .exe I just tried to flash my phone with as I mentioned in the first post. I see that there was a second package used to S-ON (unroot) the phone, I'll try that after I try Amon-Ra and see if I can't nandroid restore this thing back to health.

Tags: