• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help White Square with "< Er" in Top Left of Screen

Hey crew,

Have just noticed a something buggy with my Samsung Galaxy S2 GT-I9100 as it recently began to run a lot slower in some apps, and a white square flashed up in the top corner when exiting, and sometimes opening some apps.

I then opened the Camera and Gallery apps and noticed that the white box was continually there, but faded/opaque:
Camera:
403428_10151498296810524_1478810975_n.jpg

Gallery:
552066_10151498296705524_503005523_23887339_1083771210_n.jpg

If you look closely it has an arrow < followed by the text "Er".

Wondering if anyone is/has had the same problem, and how it can be fixed.

Running Android Gingerbread 2.3.3

Thanks in advance!

Hello Gareth,

I was involved in a thread the other week about this:

http://androidforums.com/samsung-ga...092-mystery-p-corner-when-doing-somthing.html

Theories at that point involved live wallpapers, but I don't think this has anything to do with it. I took my live wallpaper off the phone, rebooted, and still had the problem.

I started to wonder if it was to do with the memory of my phone being nearly full. So I archived off some video, and now have about 10GB free, but still have the symbol.

As a programmer, it almost looks to me like a debug window, where a developer puts a comment into the user interface, to see what the code is doing at that point.

If anyone has any bright ideas, then chip in....

Cheers,

Keith.

Upvote 0
Err... Dunno. Sorry :D

Are you sure its Er? Enlarging the second photo there seems to be a second leg to the r making it more likely to be n (its to close to be a second r). End perhaps. Have you had it connected to Odin or ADB? Could it be related to USB debugging? Try turning that off & on.

Doing a hard reset might clear it but its a bit drastic.

Upvote 0
All,

Thanks for all the replies and helpful suggestions.

It does indeed look to be an "En" or "Em" and we could speculate on a number of words: Emergency, English, Enlarge, etc.

After all this, I seem to have solved the problem, however I cannot explain how to fix it!
I can however describe the events leading up to the square going away.
(Hawker, your corrupt jpeg file theory could be correct)

While composing a tweet my phone froze - completely - nothing worked and the Force Close notification did not come up.
After a bit of button mashing and trying to turn it off it went to this screen and stayed there: (this appeared to be the screen that would pop up between apps opening and closing)

574650_10151542309120524_503005523_23972337_1978203152_n.jpg

In order to reset the phone I had to remove the battery.
After doing so, the phone said that it could not read my SD card and that it needed formatting (It didn't).
I also checked the images 'Gallery' and while the white square was still visible in the top corner, there was a jpeg image of a grey square (unfortunately I deleted it before getting any details about it).
As my phone battery was close to empty I let it run dead, then removed the battery, reinserted the SD card, and charged it too 100% full.
After turning the phone back on again the problem had gone.

Some apps still continue to run somewhat slow and glitchy at times, but other than that all seems to be ok, with the main white square problem gone.

Here's hoping this might help some others if this problem occurs on their phone.
Sorry I cannot be more specific on how to actually solve the problem!

Thanks again to everyone for all the help and suggestions

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones