1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root Who and what are these things?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by almahix, Feb 28, 2011.

1. almahix

almahix Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 12, 2009
    Retired software whore
    Southern CA
    I have a Droid (original) and I have rooted and tried different ROMs (mainly CM) and different Kernels. But I don't really understand who Koush, Douche, Clockwork, Cyanogen, ROM Manager are and their relationships, if any. I really enjoy being part of the Android community, and I donate and buy programs to support the developers. I am so hooked on my Droid, but I am missing a lot of the big picture.

Having had my phone over a year now (day 1, 11/06/09) makes me relatively an expert compared to the others at work who are now getting Android for the first time. They ask me a lot of questions, and I am able to answer most of them from my own experiments and experiences, and what I have read on the forum, and I am able to recommend apps, but compared to to the real experts here that I doubt that I am anything even approaching expert!

Thanks!

Advertisement

2. johnlgalt

johnlgalt Antidisestablishmentarian
    None

Oct 28, 2009
    Male
    Graduate Research Assitant | That part time IT guy
    3rd Rock
    Koush - Koushik Dutta - My Brain Hurts
    Douche - team douche - Modders round table with Team Douche, makers of CyanogenMod (give you an idea of the fact that it is the team name, but I have no idea where they got the name from - I thought it was derived as a retort from a certain kanging individual....)
    Clockwork - the Recovery written by Koush - My Brain Hurts: ROM Manager and Clockwork Recovery Image
    Cyanogen - considered to be the grandfather of cooked ROMs for the Android OS - Community Members - CyanogenMod Wiki
    ROM Manager - an Android Application written by Koush to allow OS-side manipulation of ROMs, including installing of updates / addons / kernels / features, making / deleting backups, changing your recovery, and all sorts of goodies - ROM Manager - Android Application on the Android market

I, too, got my DROID on drop day. First smartphone I've ever owned - and you can bet your bottom dollar I'll never look at another OS to buy.

As for level of expertise, it also depends upon how much you immerse yourself into the item you want expertise on. If you spend a few hours a day poring through literature, blogs, and posts and try different things, you'll probably learn a lot more - but if you learn just enough to do what you want to with it, then you're your own expert - but there is always someone better out there.

I'm no expert by any means, but I immersed myself into my phone and its capabilities and limitations. I tried so many things with my phone I'm surprised I didn't make it blow up - but, I also have a good knack for all things computers, plus a very inquisitive mind and curious nature. I read,a lot - and asked, a lot.

Plenty of people here who know tons more than I do - but plenty who don't. The absolute best thing about this place is that no one lords it over another person - we all share, in the interest and the spirit of open source software. From the person who just powered heir first Android device 2 minutes ago to the person who's had 15 different devices and writes applications and helps develop ROMs for the last 2 years running, we're all one big community.

And Rob likes it like that.

Hell, so do we :D

3. ska.t73

ska.t73 Android Expert
    None

Mar 11, 2010
    Phoenix, AZ
    Awesome post John (but then again we are used to that here :D )...

I can honestly say that this comunity has extended the life of my little girl 10 fold. I am sad to say that it is time to move on and I will be getting the ThunderBolt when it comes out (IF it ever comes out lol), I will miss this community very much. I will still be hanging out though as the Droid will live on as my wife's first smartphone.

I must say that this community is something special and the amount of help and laughs that I've gotten are like nothing I've ever experienced on a forum before.

4. johnlgalt

None

Oct 28, 2009
    Male
    3rd Rock
    Aww, shucks, 'twas nothing - thanks for the warm words, though.

Well, then, I'm happy to announce that you won't be going very far: HTC Thunderbolt - Android Forums

Phandroid - the one stop shop for all things Android. The community extends everywhere, and though I am primarily focused on the DROID forums now, when I do move on, I'll still be around here and there, but you can bet your bottom dollar whichever phone I move to next will also find me there as well.

I'm so new to the game that I only hang out here (since this is my first smartphone, first android device and first time ever really getting down to the nitty-gritty details of the phone, like rooting, applying themes, customizing, etc.), but there are plenty of other guides with both more knowledge than me and who help in several sub-forums at the same time. Of course, there are also plenty of folks who are not guides, mods, or admin who know their weight in gold who also hang out in each and every forum here.

You'll never go wrong checking out all the different sub-forums here.

5. ska.t73

ska.t73 Android Expert
    None

Mar 11, 2010
    Phoenix, AZ
    Agree, I've already been posting over in the TB forum here... LOL right now it is kind of a mess with all the release talk, but once the phone gets here I'm sure it will be just as awesome as this part of the forum.

6. teddyearp

teddyearp Android Expert
    None

May 19, 2010
    Store Manager
    Pinetop, AZ
    John, an excellent write up. I especially liked your diplomatic explanation of the "Douche" part of Team Douche.

I, too, have had my droid ASAP from drop day (had to wait three for shipping over a weekend). As you said, I have spent a few hours a day (especailly at first) reading, reading, reading, (hence my read more, post less) to get to the very limited knowledge I have about this damn thing. However, other than you I have been all over the interworld and have seen all the sites come and go and that is why sometimes I signed up late at some sites for the 'party', lol.

So to the others all I can say is:

read more, post less.

good luck

7. johnlgalt

None

Oct 28, 2009
    Male
    3rd Rock
    I understand. I was already a member at XDA as well as HowardForums, and I found this place quite by accident, along with a few others - this is the one that stuck with me for a variety of reasons, the most prominent being that it caters to the novice user so much better than any other site.

three or four android-specific sites that I joined all within a few days of each other all show my join date in late October - that is when I became serious about getting Android over any other OS.

15 months later, I'd say I made the best choice. Period.

8. YankeeDudeL

YankeeDudeL Android Expert
    None

Oct 25, 2009
    Male
    Wireless Sales Manager
    I'm with these guys, another Day 1 Droid owner (first time with a smartphone), and it's become a small obsession for me. I'm def hooked on Android, and this site. When it came time for me to come to switch carriers, MobileRoar.com was there for me to make an informed decision (and also the first time I met a few of the users here). Mobile Roar is I guess you can say is the forerunner to Phandroid/AndroidForums. It's there where I discovered Android, and when they created this site, it solidified that I truly needed this phone.

I know what you mean about being the "go-to" guy at your work when it comes to all things Android. I was the first with a Droid and since then have gotten about 25% of my department on board and am trying to get the city as a whole on board with it (still stuck on Blackberry), not to mention a few friends and family. I'm always the one they go to for help, and here is where I come when I need help, as I owe just about all my limited knowledge to this site and it's great users.

I, too, will be departing from the Droid shortly. I've personally outgrown the tech, and will most likely get on board with the Droid Bionic. But my brother will be getting his first smartphone when I hand him over my beloved Droid, and I'll still get to see how far it pushes it's relevancy. And you can best believe you'll still see me around.