1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Who can provide firm specs about RAM??

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by yewslus, Apr 2, 2011.

1. yewslus

yewslus Member
    None

Nov 30, 2009
    Telecom (PBX) Engineer
    New Joisey
    I hear that although the Atrix has 1GHz RAM, 512MB is reserved just for the dock. I have also heard that the Atrix is using regular DDR RAM, where the Bionic has DDR2, which is approx twice as fast. Some other sites report that both devices have DDR2. I am surprised that the Moto site for the Bionic barely mentions the RAM, nevermind what kind.

I AM OG Droid and am saving my biscuit for Bionic, but i would like to know what i can expect.

Can anyone provide definitive specs, and not just the crosstalk im hearing from these other sites?

Please provide a link if possible to back up your statements. I dont want opinion. Just fact.

Thanks

Advertisement

2. BlueBiker

BlueBiker Android Expert
    None

Jan 16, 2010
    Male
    New England
    Motorola Atrix 4G - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Mobile DDR - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    DDR2 SDRAM - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

That claims [LP]DDR2 for the Atrix (subject to how much you trust Wikipedia), but I suspect it's a mistake to believe that its DDR2 is twice as fast as a DDR counterpart. In an ideal world it has the potential to have twice the bandwidth, but in reality it's nowhere near that and it'll probably have worse latency. IIRC, when the Athlon64 finally went DDR2, users were disappointed to find only a 5-10% performance boost. Also don't forget, newer RAM technologies aren't only designed for performance, they're trying to minimize power draw to extend battery life.

And I have no specific knowledge, but I'd be very surprised if the Atrix's extra 512MB is partitioned off solely for dock use, as Android's Linux kernel should be easily able to manage large quantities of RAM according to whatever apps and services are running at any given time. I think they'd also run into consumer protection laws if they advertised a 1GB device that couldn't use all 1GB w/o the purchase of additional hardware.