• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

who designs these things?

Can someone please make an android device that has a good processor (snapdraggon, faster omap3), and a good qwerty keyboard? I need my physical keyboard and I don't want to be stuck using a blackberry forever.

The droid looked promising, but motorola REALLY screwed the pooch there. Sure the droid is selling okay, but it has a horrible, worthless qwerty keyboards and it's giving qwerty phones a bad name...lol. Who designed that pos (the keyboard) anyway? Tiny keys you can barely hit, way off center thanks to a ginormous waste of space dpad...simply worthless. I'm sure most people don't even bother to slide it open. There's no reason to; it's that bad. All the other qwerty packing android phones have crap processors from 2007 in them...again, worthless.

I don't know what the status is of the hid bluetooth profile on android, but I'd even go for an accessory keyboard. I've got it all thought up and everything. I don't care if someone steals the idea...just make it. Here it goes. The accessory keyboard would obviously be bluetooth and basically the same size as the tablet (nexus one, etc) phones. The keyboard itself would snap into different jackets. These jackets would be made with one side doubling as the battery cover and or a snap-on case. The other side would house a sliding mechanism that attached to the keyboard. That way, they could release the battery cover portion for any phone and you wouldn't have to repurchase the keyboard. Seems pretty simple to me...and then all keyboard lovers can be happy.

I understand your complaints, but to say that the keyboard on the Droid is "worthless" is personal opinion. Within a few weeks of use I was able to type on it just as quickly as I could on my Blackberry.

Well I commend you then because I felt like it was easier, and quicker to type with the touchscreen keyboard...and I hate those. Either that, or you have a mutant right hand with extra long thumb compared to your left :p. That's the only way typing on that thing would feel comfortable for me. They probably would have done better to put the dpad on the left in order to make up for the slight chin. It really needed to be centered, and have more space between each key.

The speech recognition technology isn't just for speech to text. It's for navigating and can be used with any app.

And that's all well and good, but that's not really why anyone wants/needs a real keyboard. How many gps navs do you see with real keyboards?

Upvote 0
Well I commend you then because I felt like it was easier, and quicker to type with the touchscreen keyboard...and I hate those. Either that, or you have a mutant right hand with extra long thumb compared to your left :p. That's the only way typing on that thing would feel comfortable for me. They probably would have done better to put the dpad on the left in order to make up for the slight chin. It really needed to be centered, and have more space between each key.

The one gripe I had with the keyboard was the fact that they made the space bar so small, yet left two blank keys on the corners. That space key could have been nearly twice as large. That was the biggest obstacle to quick typing for me. The spacing and D-Pad positioning (surprisingly) didn't hamper my typing too much. The space bar was the biggest issue, and even though I like the physical keyboard, I still just cannot comprehend why that particular design choice was made.

Upvote 0
Are you seriously comparing blackberry keyboards to android/phone keyboards? Seriously? BB keyboards are so SMALL. The moment Keyboard works just fine. Some people.....

You must be one of those folks that REALLY liked the original xbox controller and were pissed off when they switched to the smaller controller not designed for ogres. :p

Yes, the blackberry keyboards are small, but they are also the most pleasant to type on. I also think the touch pro 2 has a fabulous keyboard, and the samsung moment isn't bad at all (that and the touchpad are its good points).

However the droid keyboard has smaller keys than the blackberry devices I've used, and has practically zero space between the keys. It being a single rubber layer is probably the biggest problem.

I just don't know why htc doesn't just remake the touch pro 2 with android, capacitive touch, and a processor that's worth a damn and call it a day. That's really all I want/need.

At thee end of the day I think these designers and executives are all worried more about how thin and sleek the phones are rather than how well they actually perform.

Upvote 0
Yes, the blackberry keyboards are small, but they are also the most pleasant to type on. I also think the touch pro 2 has a fabulous keyboard, and the samsung moment isn't bad at all (that and the touchpad are its good points).

However the droid keyboard has smaller keys than the blackberry devices I've used, and has practically zero space between the keys. It being a single rubber layer is probably the biggest problem.

Purely opinion. Honestly, you can't judge the Droid's keyboard from 10 minutes of use in a VZN store. It takes a while to get used to, but once you do it's really not to bad. Almost everyone who has purchased one will tell you the same thing, that it just took a while to get used to. IMO BB keyboards are terrible...

I just don't know why htc doesn't just remake the touch pro 2 with android, capacitive touch, and a processor that's worth a damn and call it a day. That's really all I want/need.

I couldn't agree more. That phone would be amazing... I should mention though, that the 528MHz processor that HTC loves oh so much really isn't that bad, and that a lot of the problems involving it stemmed from bad drivers. (Compare the TP to the TP2).

Upvote 0
I can honestly say the keyboard and me are not on speaking or typing terms. When i got my Droid i used it a bit, and hit many wrong keys. But once i started useing the touch keyboard I'm not going to miss the physical one. the touch one works well IMHO. As for the physical keyboard. better to have a bad one then not to have one at all. I'm sure many (as stated above) get used to it and some will even like it. I guess I figure its better to have one (even if i dont like it) then not to. Unfortnatly the Dpad even if removbed would just make wider keys, they would still be very short. When I look at all the keypads i ahve used on other phones its really not that bad, i just prefer the touch one.

Upvote 0
You must be one of those folks that REALLY liked the original xbox controller and were pissed off when they switched to the smaller controller not designed for ogres. :p

At thee end of the day I think these designers and executives are all worried more about how thin and sleek the phones are rather than how well they actually perform.

Ogre? Right. Way to flame buddy. Cant beat someone in a debate, flame them! Right. Anyway, concerning xbox controllers, I cant stand the batwing(old xbox controller). In fact, thats a reason i never bought the original xbox and went PS2 instead. (btw the best controller IMO was for n64) Some of the blackberry keyboards ive seen have to share letters on one key? no thanks! The samsung moment keyboard is awesome. And the TP2 keyboard is great. HTC has always been great with slide out qwerty. Also a i love the slide out feature. I dont have to worry about hitting keys in my pocket. And before you try to show your age and flame again, act like a big boy would ya? Thanks.

Upvote 0
Ogre? Right. Way to flame buddy. Cant beat someone in a debate, flame them! Right. Anyway, concerning xbox controllers, I cant stand the batwing(old xbox controller). In fact, thats a reason i never bought the original xbox and went PS2 instead. (btw the best controller IMO was for n64) Some of the blackberry keyboards ive seen have to share letters on one key? no thanks! The samsung moment keyboard is awesome. And the TP2 keyboard is great. HTC has always been great with slide out qwerty. Also a i love the slide out feature. I dont have to worry about hitting keys in my pocket. And before you try to show your age and flame again, act like a big boy would ya? Thanks.

Smileys exist for a reason...because sarcasm is hard to deliver in text. Obviously you failed at noticing the one I put the end of my comment. Stop being so defensive Shrek, no one blames you for having big hands :p.

No flames, just fun. Maybe you'll get the humor this time...but I doubt it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones