• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Who else is outraged?

guitarevan07

Nov 27, 2009
So, as many of you may agree, Best buy Reps were saying a few days ago that the thunderbolt would be $599 for full retail price. Now, my reps at MY local store did no say a MAYBE. When i paid the deposit they said it was $599 full retail.

Now I ask, is this fair for them to now charge us $749 after we make our $50 deposit on the $599 price?

Regardless if it's a gift card, they just forced an investment in their items. Even if they refunded me the deposit, I basically invested in a fruitless bond.

Am I right or am I right?

[removed by mod] If there is no advertised price, they are going on what they heard. I never ONCE heard a mobile rep at my store say $599.99. In any case, even if they did, that does NOT mean they have to sell it to you at that price, people can make mistakes.

Best Buy never OFFICIALLY announced any prices until this week's circular at $749.99. So that's all they have to go on.

Upvote 0
Dude, ummmm I'm sorry. If I'm paying a DEPOSIT and a rep tells me that it's going to be $599, then it better be $599. MANY people were told $599, and apparently some were told maybe $599 as well. As far as I know, if MY rep says $599, then I should be able to assume they are telling me correct information. Right? I'm gonna bitch about paying an extra $150 dollars.

And, as far as refunds, like I said, that's not right. It's like investing in a bond with no payoff.

Upvote 0
Dude, ummmm I'm sorry. If I'm paying a DEPOSIT and a rep tells me that it's going to be $599, then it better be $599. MANY people were told $599, and apparently some were told maybe $599 as well. As far as I know, if MY rep says $599, then I should be able to assume they are telling me correct information. Right? I'm gonna bitch about paying an extra $150 dollars.

And, as far as refunds, like I said, that's not right. It's like investing in a bond with no payoff.

Dude i don't see why your so mad when you can get a refund. Yea they told you the wrong info but if you can get your money back, no harm no foul.

Upvote 0
Not to stir up a hornet's nest here, but that is what I was told also. When I heard the $749 leak I called back to confirm, & they still said $599. Then I mentioned to him about the $749 and he then told me that $749 was in fact the retail price.

Now, you can say that you can get a refund, but it seems a lil shady to me, maybe even fraudulent. You say the price was never officially announced, but that employee is the company's representative. If they were unsure of the retail price, they should have said so. But when they get the info from their computer, that should be the same as a confirmation from corporate.

I have had similar things happen in the past, & the first thing it tells me is not do business with them again.

Upvote 0
If you don't have anything in writing saying it's 599...you don't have a leg to stand on IMO.
If you have something in writing, you're set, if not...a deal shouldn't be made and money shouldn't be paid on what someone said.

ESPECIALLY with the 20 thousand rumors, release dates, exclusive rights, etc., about this phone.

If an employee at the store told you a TV was 500 and you took it to the register and it was $700....what would you do? You'd pay the 700 or you'd walk out empty handed.

These folks have little to no knowledge until it's officially released to them.

Why would you put money down on something without having a firm price?

And as said..you can get a 100% refund. If you don't like the price, don't buy it...

Upvote 0
but in honesty, he doesn't. If there is no advertised price, I could tell you it's $23.49 and then it's $749.99 and you're paying $749.99.

He may not have an airtight legal case, but he does have a legitimate gripe. Verbal agreements are not to be easily blown off. The $599 "quoted" price was widespread, and was not just pulled out of thin air.

I would wager that if you got enough people together who were quoted the $599 price when they bought the preorder, that there would be a compelling (even if not in writing) case for BB to be forced to honor it.

BB's switch of quote price is not as disturbing as folks willing to give them a pass.

Upvote 0
Hi there, let's step back and take another look at this....

How would you feel if this had happened to you? Sure you can maybe get your deposit back, but it's still got to hurt that you were fed misinformation by people who are supposed to know. $150 makes a big difference right now in the current economic climate. I would sure as heck be angry had it happened to me!

We're all Android enthusiasts here, so let's show a bit of support for a brother in his time of need. ;)

Upvote 0
Seriously, why is anyone bashing the OP? He has a legitimate gripe, as a lot of us do! I notice its a lot of the new people too, ease up fellas, for the most part a lot of us are cool and feed of eachothers info and findings. If some can't be cool, well then maybe this is the wrong forum for you...just my 2 cents!

Anyway, back on topic. I too was under the impression that it would be $599, I didn't know about the $749 pricing until Matt posted it a few days ago....And I was sticker shocked also. For this very reason is why I didn't do the pre order....Best Buy is very shaddy in they're practices. After the EVO fiasco, and having to wait 2 months to do a swap, when I was told every couple of days it'll be here tomorrow was my sticking point. However, what they did was lie to the OP, which probably happens more often then not to most people that shop there. I'll wait and see what I can get out of vzw, if the $749 price is my only option and they don't budge on an early upgrade, I'll just wait and see what the Spring/Summer brings.

Upvote 0
Plus...don't know if it's been mentioned yet or if it applies to the BB mobile dept...but BB in my town does aggressively price match, including Amazon. So, if Amazon, Wirefly, etc. have a lesser price than any BB mark-up, they would honor these lower prices, right? Just trying to suggest another option for the off-contract folks if you're feeling locked in to BB for whatever reason.

Upvote 0

Link broken or page removed.. take your pick. If this is about the $1,199.99 price tag, I was just told that was a placeholder price by Best Buy and not the expected launch price. I've seen this on Cell phones to keep people from selling them early. This is because the Best Buy already has the xoom in stock and doesn't want any to get out the door early.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones