• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Who else is waiting?

I think it's funny how our X's are starting to go haywire right around Upgrade and New phone releases. I swear I had no real issues with my X rockin the Vortex RC1 rom for months now. As of a couple of weeks ago it's been freezing and battery has been jumping from 74 to 49.....

Just placed my preorder for a 16GB Pebble Blue GSIII. My DX was great until about 6 weeks ago. Been not saving pictures, slowingdow, not putting text into boxes when typing, won't play any media (no ringtone or notification sounds, won't play mp3s or videos), and recently wouldn't open the camera at all, and wouldn't connect to data even though I had a good signal. I have to reboot it ever 2 days anymore. The camera not opening was the last straw, this thing has just become too unreliable, but at least it waited until just before I would lose unlimited data and not afterwards!

Upvote 0
I've also had a DX since about the time it was released. It was about 6 weeks ago for me, too, that my phone just started acting like crap. Everything on the phone was slow and unresponsive. I also had the bulging battery problem to the point where it was bulging so much, it was pushing on the screen causing distortion. Battery life was about 1 hour with medium use at that point. I bought a new battery and that problem went away but the phone was still really slow. I eventually got so fed up, I flashed back to MIUI (used to run that a while ago but favored stock rooted gingerbread) and it has been a life saver. Everything is back to being fast and smooth again. It's also a fun ROM to play around with so that helps hold me over till my S3 gets here in a few weeks. The DX has been a great phone but it's time has come.

Reactions: 2horses
Upvote 0
I think it's funny how our X's are starting to go haywire right around Upgrade and New phone releases. I swear I had no real issues with my X rockin the Vortex RC1 rom for months now. As of a couple of weeks ago it's been freezing and battery has been jumping from 74 to 49.....

Sounds like your battery is shot. I replace mine about a month ago with a $4 OEM from Amazon to make til I upgraded and the new one is a lot better.

I've been running CM9 and it's been pretty good. Overall the DX has been pretty good, but I've been proactiv over it's life (rooting and using leaked GB, custom ROMs, etc). ICS ROMs seem to be overall more stable than GB was so I'm hoping the next phone will last a long time. Not looking forward to full price on a phone in 2+ years...

Reactions: MalikBear
Upvote 0
I also had the bulging battery problem to the point where it was bulging so much, it was pushing on the screen causing distortion.

Thank you!! I have the same distortion on the front and I just figured I damaged it somehow, never occured to me it was from the battery. Didn't even know we were having "bulging battery" issues with these phones! Pulled mine just now and viola'! No more screen spot.

But, I think I'm still ready for an upgrade and will pre-order a GS3. Just gotta find a different excuse now other than "bad screen" - LOL! Maybe the fact that I cuss it's lagginess regularly will suffice.

Upvote 0
Still hanging on. I just breathed some new life into my Droid X by flashing AOKP ICS (I did Gummy ICS first and then switched, but both are fine). It's like a completely new phone. Speed difference is night and day. Sure, camcorder is iffy (and low res), no flash, no youtube HQ, but I can live without that stuff for now.

AOKP has definitely extended my tolerance of the DX for at least a couple of months though.

Flash works fine on my camera with Gummy 1.2.0. Camcorder sorta works - more like a camera taking multiple shots. YouTube HQ appears to be working fine, watching Taylor Swift "Mean" video from the 54th Grammy Awards as I type this (watching on the X, typing on the MAXX).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones