• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Who had type thunderbolt w/ extended battery ?

i am new to this forum thing, but had some questions. I have a thunderbolt, and really want the S3, but was worried about signal strength. Have you had any issues with dropped calls, or anything? Battery I am not too worried about, because anything is going to be better then the 4 hours I get on my TB now. Any info you can give would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Upvote 0
i am new to this forum thing, but had some questions. I have a thunderbolt, and really want the S3, but was worried about signal strength. Have you had any issues with dropped calls, or anything? Battery I am not too worried about, because anything is going to be better then the 4 hours I get on my TB now. Any info you can give would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

We have a very indepth thread about signal reception on the Verizon model here: http://androidforums.com/samsung-galaxy-s3/577873-verizon-gs3-signal-reception-thread.html

It should answer any questions you have about reception. However, it looks like the GS3 fairs better than the TBolt.

Upvote 0

I haven't taken the time to look at actual signal strength but I can tell you my 4g is faster than it was on my bolt but I think my 4g radio was going out. Half the time things wouldn't even TRY to load unless I was on 3g.

Upvote 0
This thread is interesting to me since I also use a thunderbolt with an extended battery.

I think I am an fairly unique case in that I work a job where I am allowed to listen to head phones while I work. So I use my phone to listed to about 6 hours of continuous audio (predownloaded podcasts) along with other instances of use such as texting and web browsing so my phone gets above average use.

The thunderbolt gets plenty of power with the extended battery but I am hoping the S3 can do it with it's stock battery.

Upvote 0
This thread is interesting to me since I also use a thunderbolt with an extended battery.

I think I am an fairly unique case in that I work a job where I am allowed to listen to head phones while I work. So I use my phone to listed to about 6 hours of continuous audio (predownloaded podcasts) along with other instances of use such as texting and web browsing so my phone gets above average use.

The thunderbolt gets plenty of power with the extended battery but I am hoping the S3 can do it with it's stock battery.

I've only charged my phone once since I got it yesterday. I've been off the charger for 2 hours now and am at 91%. I listened to Pandora on my 30 minute commute to work and have been searching they forum for a fair amount. Also remember that there will most likely he an extended battery for this bad boy making it a bit easier to hold (Its a little too thin)

Upvote 0
My old phone was a T-Bolt with the big extended battery that stuck way out the back. Today I did my typical 7 hours of streaming pandora through Bluetooth headphones, had 4 hours of idle, made a 30 minute phone call, and simultaneously texted/streamed pandora/ browsed web for 30 minutes during lunch and 12 hours after I took it off the charger it had just given me the 15% indicator. This usage was slightly better than I've been seeing on my T-Bolt lately. All of this was in 3G fringe area with some 1x mixed in there in the basement of the house I'm working in. FYI, my S3 had every bit as good of reception as my bolt did and in certain areas it's even better.

Upvote 0
My old phone was a T-Bolt with the big extended battery that stuck way out the back. Today I did my typical 7 hours of streaming pandora through Bluetooth headphones, had 4 hours of idle, made a 30 minute phone call, and simultaneously texted/streamed pandora/ browsed web for 30 minutes during lunch and 12 hours after I took it off the charger it had just given me the 15% indicator. This usage was slightly better than I've been seeing on my T-Bolt lately. All of this was in 3G fringe area with some 1x mixed in there in the basement of the house I'm working in. FYI, my S3 had every bit as good of reception as my bolt did and in certain areas it's even better.

That's awesome. Same battery life. Slimmer package :)

Upvote 0
Thunderbolt User.

Considering the stock Thunderbolt battery was 1400 mAH. The stock S3 battery is 2100 mAH. Using the OEM extended battery with a Thunderbolt is 2750. You can see the obvious transition you will get going from extended Thunderbolt battery to a stock S3 Battery (slightly less power). Considering the giant size and thickness of the Thunderbolt, even if you are not pleased with the s3 battery, using an extended battery of the s3 will be MUCH more enjoyable.

Its hard to tell you battery life , because so many variables apply to everyone (signal strength, usage, 3G/4G etc). But from a general viewpoint and my personal experience the battery is impressive.

Upvote 0
I had the Thunderbolt with the OEM 2750 mAh extended battery. I'm getting at least as good and probably better battery life out of the Galaxy S3. One things for sure, I don't feel like I'm carrying a brick in my pocket anymore.

I actually learned to love the feel of the tbolt extended battery in my hand but hated the bulge in my pocket...no homo.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones