1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Who here is fed up with emergency calls?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by redman2563, Dec 24, 2009.

1. sjenovai

sjenovai Lurker
    None

Dec 31, 2009
    Systems Mgr
    Denver
    I too found it far too easy to Autodial 911 with an accidental swipe of the finger. A few verification key(finger)strokes would not add significantly to the effort to call 911 (you have to press THREE keys plus the call button if your phone is not locked!)

My first 911 call happened within about 40 minutes of receiving the phone. They asked what my emergency was and I said that I needed a fix to a phone with a REALLY STUPID emergency call feature. My son tripped the autocall 'feature' again an hour later by unlocking the phone while he was opening the keyboard.

How about this for an idea - replace the stupid, draw a random squiggle with almost no memory association tied to it, 911 calling passsquiggle app with a dialpad that you can enter numbers on. If you want 911, punch 911 and hit the call button. anything else, use for password entry. Sure, it's not as secure as an alphanumeric password, but it would be more secure than the much fewer passquiggle possiblilities provided by the passsquiggle app.

I wish there was a decent locking app to use!

I tried Lock 2.0, and don't like the fact that simply turning the phone off and back on disables it.

I would use the passsqiggle app, but the risk of dialing 911 by accident is too high for my tastes. So until it is made harder to autodial 911, or a real security app comes out, I will leave my phone unsecured, and trust in remote wiping should I lose it.

Advertisement

2. kencrudup

kencrudup Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 11, 2009
    Android Hardware Dev
    Los Angeles, CA
    Get CJ14 when y'all get a chance- they fixed this issue finally- once you hit "Emergency Call" you then have to dial "9-1-1" as well.

3. redman2563

redman2563 Member
    None

Nov 4, 2009
    its actually CL14, there have been many developments, the emergency button now takes you to a dialer, the keyboard both virtual and physical are lag free and its a bit zippier. you may obtain if by going to your local sprint repair store. I would hold off though as theyres been reports of sprint breaking your phone. another option is learning about it and doing it yourself, theyres everything you need over at sdx-developers.com. DO AT YOUR OWN RISK!!. GOOD LUCK.

4. Thefoodman52

Thefoodman52 Android Expert
    None

Dec 1, 2009
    Resource Consumer
    San Diego
    I feel for all you guys tired of the frickin accidental calls to 911. As much as they ARE your friends, they're usually busy and would like to help other people rather than chat with you about how it's going for the day... what they're doing after work...

5. N*TE

N*TE Newbie
    None

Dec 13, 2009
    Network Engineer
    Overland Park, KS

I updated at the sprint store after using Zefie's custom roms and I have no issues (after re-installing org. cj05) and yes redman is right, one can

6. sh517

sh517 Guest
    None
    i haven't had a huge issue with accidentally dialing 911. I did it twice and quickly hung up. During the course of 1 hour they called back about 3 times. But i do agree it needs to be in another location, or there should be a widget to go to the 911 dialer.

7. N*TE

N*TE Newbie
    None

Dec 13, 2009
    Network Engineer
    Overland Park, KS

hey buddy, they fixed it with CL14. you have to actually dial 911 now..:cool:

Samsung Moment

The Samsung Moment was one of the first Android Phones with a slideout keyboard.