• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Who here will jump back to apple for the iphone 4G LTE

There's a wide range of Android phones and screen sizes. Not everyone wants a phone with a 4.5" screen so don't really see why I'd need to know what the battery life of a hypothetical 4.5" iPhone will be when in most likelihood, Apple isn't going to release one. Battery life is one of the factors affecting my purchase so I just want to know what that will be regardless of what the new form factor of the iPhone will be. Whether I would like the iPhone's new form factor if Apple does change it is another matter.

My most used Androids actually have smaller screens than the iPhone (Xperia Ray 3.3", Xperia Active 3") but despite the latter's smaller screen, it still has much crappier battery life. I'm quite happy with the iPhone's form factor and wouldn't be interested in a bigger one (unless they improve battery life really, really drastically).

Well, you chose to quote me, and a bigger screen is important to me so that's the reason I brought up the subject of an apples to apples comparison.

I think it is fair to say that Android phones are trending towards larger screens and at some point in time Apple will likely be forced to submit to consumer demand.

Bottom line is that we're both happy with our respective phones, win-win:)

Upvote 0
Well, right now, I carry with me an iPhone, Android (usually Xperia Active or Xperia Ray) and WP7 phone. I tend to use the iPhone and Android equally. WP7 not so much (mostly just for Facebook).

Unfortunately not. There's a reason I carry 3 phones (with different OS) with me. Alas, I have yet to find the perfect phone for me.

Why do you carry the WP7 phone if it's only for FB? Both Android and iPhone have FB. Is the WP7's FB app much more superior than the iPone's or Android's?

Upvote 0
Why do you carry the WP7 phone if it's only for FB? Both Android and iPhone have FB. Is the WP7's FB app much more superior than the iPone's or Android's?
WP7 doesn't have an FB app. It's integrated with the OS itself and I like it much better than the Android or iPhone apps. Before I got my LG Quantum with WP7, I rarely ever check FB (like 4 months without signing in). Nowadays, the only time I check FB is on the Quantum (still not that often, though). Anyhow, FB isn't a big deal and it's not really the reason I'm currently carrying the Quantum around. I'm just burning through data on the Quantum before it expires (can't just transfer the SIM to another phone since I cut it up to microSIM size and the adapter almost messed up the SIM slot on my Nexus S and wouldn't fit on any of my other Androids). Lack of apps and similar walled garden to iOS make WP7 a no go for me but I have to admit it does certain things better than Android or iOS.

Reactions: Roze
Upvote 0
WP7 doesn't have an FB app. It's integrated with the OS itself and I like it much better than the Android or iPhone apps. Before I got my LG Quantum with WP7, I rarely ever check FB (like 4 months without signing in).

Oh great, so WinPhone7 has social networking junk that you can't actually remove.

Are there always visible widgets, panels and things for FB in WP7 and does it use mobile data pinging the mothership, even when not using FB? Presumably the WP7 phones sold where I am wont have integrated FB etc.

Upvote 0
Won't your carrier replace your SIM at no charge?

What are the things WP7 does better? I've never had a chance to really play with one.
Using prepaid and AT&T charges $25 for SIM card unless you buy load (which I won't need until 6 months from now). WP7 is very fluid. None of the jerkiness I've had with some Android devices. Haven't had any crashes or freezes on it unlike on iOS and Android, either. Then again, I don't use it as much as iOS or Android. Live tiles is a decent alternative to widgets. Gives you information at a glance but more uniform looking unlike Android widgets which can be all over the place (granted, the WP7 tiles might look really boring to some folks). I really like the Metro UI. It just looks really polished. Unfortunately, while the browser (Internet Explorer) is fairly decent, it's limited to just 6 tabs. The app situation is also atrocious. While I have no problem finding apps I need for Android and iOS, app selection for WP7 is just really poor and searching for apps often give junk results.

Oh great, so WinPhone7 has social networking junk that you can't actually remove.

Are there always visible widgets, panels and things for FB in WP7 and does it use mobile data pinging the mothership, even when not using FB? Presumably the WP7 phones sold where I am wont have integrated FB etc.
While social networking is built-in, there's always the option not to use it. No one's forcing you to link your Facebook account with WP7 and you can easily unpin any unneeded app from the home screen. It's not actually a Facebook app per se, more like Facebook is tightly integrated with built-in apps such as the "people app" (basically WP7's contacts) and pictures. As for data usage, even with all the background pinging and location services enabled, WP7 still manages to use less than 1MB per day. Contrast that with my LG Thrive Android which uses 2MB per day minimum primarily due to "Dialer/System" and up to now, I have no idea why since I'm syncing the same info on Android as I am on WP7.

Edit:
Apparently, Android 4.0/ICS has added a People app with a "Me" profile which sounds similar to what WP7 has. Wonder how Android's implementation would compare to WP7's? Alas, an official ICS update hasn't been released for my Xperia Ray (ST18a) yet. *sigh* Kinda don't want to update the Nexus S.

Upvote 0
iPhone...

aefd7067-f979-a355.jpg

Upvote 0
Only thing that MIGHT tempt me to iOS is if the next variation of iOS (iOS6?) has WIDGETS! Otherwise iOS is too boring for me. I hate having app short cuts and just folders on my home screens.

I hate having to back all the way out to the home screen every time to get to another app. I've grown accustomed to Android's way of just switching from one app to another on a long press.

Upvote 0
Only thing that MIGHT tempt me to iOS is if the next variation of iOS (iOS6?) has WIDGETS! Otherwise iOS is too boring for me. I hate having app short cuts and just folders on my home screens.

The only thing that would tempt me is if Android shut down and no longer existed and there were no other alternatives. I do not like proprietary systems not that there are anything wrong with them for some people they are perfectly ok but for me they are to limiting and they do not correctly allow me to define what I want. If I can't use them my way then what good is it? I guess I'm on of them that actually think that because I bought something then I own it. Yeah I know what a crazy notion that is.

Not to mention the Assumption is that in order to jump back to it would me that I had one to begin with which I assure you I have never had nor have any plans to ever have.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones