• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Who is going to drop the DX for the Iphone?

Is my browser hosed...or has half a days threads been deleted?

...seriously, all in good fun and social experience...i hope that is not the case.

Censorship on a public android forum...not cool.

Disappointing.

This world needs to lighten up and have some fun.

Rant over.

(mod edit) Feel free to speak your mind to an extent just keep it clean and dont make 50 posts out of it...

Upvote 0
I LUSTED for the iPhone ever since it was released June 29th, 2007. I remember my first "in the wild" sighting at the July 4th fireworks display in my hometown that year. I was under a Verizon contract so I waited. When my contract expired, the deficiencies with AT&T service were well known, so I waited. When the 3GS came out in 2009, I was on the Apple website and almost pulled the trigger, even though I still knew the AT&T service was a minus, but I waited.

Then Android came to Verizon Nov 2009. I was not under contract so I bought a used Eris in January of this year. Fell IN LOVE with Android. Used the Eris for 6 months until I woke up at 5:30am July 15th, 2010 and ordered my Droid X.

Ever since my 1st week with the Eris, I knew I would never want the iPhone again. The Android OS is so much more than iOS. I laughed when I saw the iOS 4.0 improvements. Apple was having to "catch up" to Android. And they haven't yet, not completely.

I have always customized my previous Verizon phones using BitPim, etc. and Android makes that so much easier and more. iOS, not so much. You're locked down more than the Verizon feature phones of the past.

No, I won't be leaving Android for the iPhone 4 on Verizon.

Upvote 0
EinZtein,

It is frustrating when people don't search for an answer before posting. Still, people are allowed to ask without having their question questioned (is that a double-negative?) :) And the forum explicitly states this at the top -- it's the first thread stickied at the top of the general forum:

Zero Tolerance Policy (All Members Read)

So your posts can be edited and deleted by the moderators (which is why there are moderators). And it is a form of "research" to ask questions here.

Upvote 0
iPhone? Sorry but No.

It should be called the iCant because there is nothing the iPhone 1,3g,3gs, or 4 do that makes me even think for a second it is better than my X. The only superiority the 4 has is the screen quality but the size of my X kills it. Plus the screen on the X is beautiful so the iPhone gets no points. I can customize EVERYTHING on my phone and I am a Linux lover anyway. I can point out hundreds of reasons there is no point thought.

Do not get me wrong though I do not have anything against Apple. I loved the iPods I owned. I bought my g/f an iPad and it is awesome. However the iPhone is a good phone and I know people who love it but its not for me and it is far overrated.

Upvote 0
Is my browser hosed...or has half a days threads been deleted?

...seriously, all in good fun and social experience...i hope that is not the case.

Censorship on a public android forum...not cool.

Disappointing.

This world needs to lighten up and have some fun.

Rant over.

(mod edit) Feel free to speak your mind to an extent just keep it clean and dont make 50 posts out of it...
Thank you and I'll call myself out...I'm an as...and never any disrespect to anyone.

Mods..thank you.

Upvote 0
Your DX comes with such an app... Is it not doing something you expect?

Yeah, there's a new CDMA standard that Verizon is supposedly testing that allows data + phone, but the problem is actually that CDMA is too efficient. CDMA handles both voice and data well, so it uses the same radio for both.

GSM does not handle data, so there is a completely separate, WCDMA radio in there, which is why you can do voice and data with 3G GSM phones.

Yes, it doesn't handle activesync very well and gmail accounts show up in the gmail app unless you enter them as corporate, POP,or IMAP and then you loose some of the things I like about the gmail app and certain setups don't work for contacts or calendars as well.

I am sorry, but Android does not handle email as well as the iPhone. Apple did an excellent job with their mail interface; there is 1 app that you use to access all mail whether it be corporate, gmail, or other and since they added the unified inbox in iOS 3 it is even better. I am sure Android will improve theirs to obtain something stock that is as good, but it isn't as good yet.

I rarely used the functionality of data/voice simultaneously, but it was very nice when I did need it. In my area, which may not be the same in yours, the iPhone worked as reliably as my DX and the internet was faster on the iPhone. I have seen others who experience this too, but I am sure it is a location/coverage issue and not the same everywhere. So in my daily life, I don't really care which theoretically does what, I care about how it functions for me like most people do.

But I still love my DX and still miss my iPhone 3Gs sometimes. But the main reason I switched from AT&T was because I got a free phone of my choice on Verizon from the company I work for. But since I have made the jump to Android, I do love many things about it and certain things about the DX. I could not currently see me switching to an iPhone 4 on Verizon, but if was a new model with some new functions and I could jail break it to obtain some of the things I like about Android, I would have to seriously consider it.

Those who refuse to even think about an iPhone just hate Apple and their phone. They are unable to compare them justly and are really just fanboys for Android. I am open minded so no matter who makes a device, if it meets my needs as does what enough of what I want, I will buy it. I will never disregard a product based on manufacturer, but that's just me. Everyone else has the freedom to do what they want as well.

Reactions: dfran1
Upvote 0
I will say this: before the iPhone 4 I considered an iPhone back in 2008, 2009. I got the Droid in April of this year and I no longer wanted an iPhone. The antenna BS and now this supposedly cracked glass from using cases issue that just popped up....

Apple afraid of a shattering followup to its Antennagate woes? -- Engadget

The only way I would look at an iPhone on Version is if it was a totally different design than the iPhone 4. And if it will be the older versions u can definitely forget it...

Upvote 0
Those who refuse to even think about an iPhone just hate Apple and their phone. They are unable to compare them justly and are really just fanboys for Android.

Trust me, I am NO fanboy.. I have a MacBook Pro, an iMac, and an Airport Extreme.... I also had the 3GS on AT$T...

If you gave me an iPhone 4, I'd sell it on eBay and buy another Android... The iPhone is mainly hype and koolaid....

Love my Mac's but the iPhone is WAY overrated....

Upvote 0
Trust me, I am NO fanboy.. I have a MacBook Pro, an iMac, and an Airport Extreme.... I also had the 3GS on AT$T...

If you gave me an iPhone 4, I'd sell it on eBay and buy another Android... The iPhone is mainly hype and koolaid....

LOL, some of you guys are seriously crazy.

There is nothing better out there phone wise than the iPhone. I like my DroidX, but my iPhone 4 still owns it.

Sorry, but thats the truth. The ONLY 2 things that the Droid X (Or any Android device) does better than the iPhone are Flash support, and Turn by Turn for free.

THATS IT.

Everything else, iPhone wins. I own both, am looking at them both right now, and thats just the truth.

The Droid X is still a great phone and Android is getting there, but as of right now, iOS and the iPhone rule. Period. Anyone saying otherwise is just a crybaby trying to make their device sound superior because they cant have an iPhone.

Upvote 0
kool-aid-man.jpg

If by nothing better out there than an iPhone you mean:

-- You don't have to worry about upgrading or changing your battery without S Jobs help
-- You don't have to worry about expandable media storage
-- You don't have to bother with that silly OS customization thing
-- You enjoy having your user experience controlled / decided by others
-- You enjoy doing one task at a time and are happy with S Jobs deciding what multi-taking should be and what apps have that ability
-- You can care less if you are holding it wrong, I mean who needs phone calls anyway
-- You enjoy S Jobs and his clan dictating what apps you can and can't have
-- You like an all glass device... Cracks in the glass? Who cares, it's an iPhone right?
-- You like the 4.3 million fart apps in the app store

Shall I go on?

Ya the iPhone is superior if you enjoy that sort of thing....

Upvote 0
raqball, he seriously messed up by saying "Or any Android device"

Wow....amazing...tell that to ppl that prefer a physical keyboard. For emulators, a physical keyboard cannot be beat by touch screen only controls...a physical keyboard owns touch screen only controls for emulators...owns....

raqball covered everything else....lol I think there are more than 2 things the X "Or any Android device" can do better.

Just for having a CHOICE of a physical keyboard makes Android the choice for me and many ppl....

Does anyone really consider the iPhone 4 the better device with that antenna issue and now the supposedly fragile glass issue (the verdicts not out on that yet)?

Removable battery..... Flashlight, spare tire, spare battery...all things u would need in an emergency...

Its not about being the best, its about being the best for u. Right now the iPhone doesnt fit that description. For me and many ppl. Remember, there are other choices on AT&T and as amazing as it sounds....

People actually did choose other phones...

Reactions: killerb
Upvote 0
Why does everyone insist on arguing over issues concerning personal taste? Personal taste is subjective.... meaning there is no 'right' or 'wrong', there is no way to win an argument about personal taste.

You can get a group of 25 men to fairly easily agree on separating beautiful women from the not so beautiful. But don't expect to get them to EVER agree on which is the MOST beautiful. No matter how many times you argue with a guy who prefers blondes that the brunette is the most beautiful, he's never going to finally crack and say, "man you know what I never thought of it that way before... you're right brunettes are prettier than blondes".

It's just not human nature for us all to agree on everything.

Upvote 0

There is nothing better out there phone wise than the iPhone. I like my DroidX, but my iPhone 4 still owns it.

Sorry, but thats the truth. The ONLY 2 things that the Droid X (Or any Android device) does better than the iPhone are Flash support, and Turn by Turn for free.

THATS IT.

Everything else, iPhone wins. I own both, am looking at them both right now, and thats just the truth.

The Droid X is still a great phone and Android is getting there, but as of right now, iOS and the iPhone rule. Period. Anyone saying otherwise is just a crybaby trying to make their device sound superior because they cant have an iPhone.

JSD_NJ; I smell a fanboy!!!
Don't call us crazy. Your statement, "There is nothing better out there phone wise than the iPhone. I like my DroidX, but my iPhone 4 still owns it." is utterly ridiculous!!!

The iphone is a great internet/multimedia device, but as a phone it has some serious shortcomings. My wife has at&t through work and has an iphone 4 and the ONLY thing the iphone 4 has over the my DX is its display, certainly NOT its call making/receiving ability!!! There have been sooooo many times when my wife has dropped calls on her iphone 4 in areas where she had perfect coverage on her BB Bold, whereas I now have even better reception with my DX than I previously had with my BB Storm2.

The iphone is multimedia first - phone second and that is its greatest failing.

You should lay off the kool-aid bud, might I suggest some Octoberfest. :D

Upvote 0
Why does everyone insist on arguing over issues concerning personal taste? Personal taste is subjective.... meaning there is no 'right' or 'wrong', there is no way to win an argument about personal taste.

You can get a group of 25 men to fairly easily agree on separating beautiful women from the not so beautiful. But don't expect to get them to EVER agree on which is the MOST beautiful. No matter how many times you argue with a guy who prefers blondes that the brunette is the most beautiful, he's never going to finally crack and say, "man you know what I never thought of it that way before... you're right brunettes are prettier than blondes".

It's just not human nature for us all to agree on everything.

I have to agree with Outlaw. Many people posting their "NEENER-NEENER's" here are making subjective arguments. I have a friend who loves his iPhone 4 and we've had some great (and friendly :eek:) discussions on why we like out respective smartphones. He agrees he doesn't like how Apple has been handling "Antenna-gate", and now the cracked-glass issue that has popped up is another problem that can affect the iP4. But he will stay with them because he likes iOS and is very used to it (he DOES hope he can switch to Verizon eventually, though!).

Having recently migrated from a Palm OS I have nothing but great things to say about Android and my DX - what an awesome upgrade from my previous phone!:D

BTW, I don't think Apple is a bad company - I have a several-years old 17" Powerbook G4 that just keeps chugging along. IMO I think Apple does some things very well and others I just scratch my head and wonder what they were thinking...

Upvote 0

THATS IT.

GOOGLE VOICE, wireless tether, wireless contact backup, ability to install apps from anywhere (no apple approval needed), carrier supported warranty replacement, vast hardware/carrier choices, removable storage, removable battery, customization/personalization of software appearance, HDMI out, WIDGETS (!), etc, etc, etc.

the iPhone does a lot of great things. it is super user friendly. but i enjoy my android phone far more than i enjoyed my iPhone. why? personal preference. i dont claim it's better, but everything i listed are things important to ME. an iPhone user could make a list just as long. my point, that it's silly to say that there are "ONLY 2...THATS IT" things that android does better. in my opinion, there are a plethora of things android does better, and that is why i own one.

BTW, in response to the OP: just because WSJ said it, doesnt make it true. the've reported the same "news" a number of times over the past year and a half.

Upvote 0

I was referring to other posts when I said fanboy. I like the posts that are, "I odn't want to become one of those Apple fanboys, they are all stuck up. Android rules and Apple sucks, People who use an iPhone are dumb and Android users are smart."...Too late, you have become what you hate, just not for Apple.

It really should come down to ,"Does it do what I need?", but it seems so many are afraid to do that. I think it is funny that most of the posts I see on the internet that are saying what the iPhone doesn't do seem to be referring to the iPhone 3G or the original with some of their complaints. There are 2 newer versions since then, maybe they should update their comparison.

When it comes down to it, there really isn't anything bad about an iPhone. It is totally what you want to do with it. I like modding my DX, but it isn't a requirement for me to purchase a phone. Especially if the phone does exactly what I need out of the box.

BTW, I wouldn't want an iPhone 4 either, the DX is way better and doesn't require a free bumper to work. But who knows what changes they will make for the Verizon version.

Upvote 0

THATS IT.

Someone is certainly a cry baby, and it isn't the other guy.

Upvote 0
I play with my friend's iPhone 4 sometimes and just laugh at it. When it grows a bigger screen (all the res in the world won't help if it's puny), can run flash, not be tethered to Steve Job's nuts, can run widgets, truly multi-task, can sideload apps and has a UI that doesn't look like it was designed by Playskool, I might consider one, until then, hell NO!!!

Reactions: NorthVandea
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones