• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Who is tempted to get RAZR Maxx?

Pretty easy fix if the battery goes bad! Just call VZW , talk to tech support...And they'll just ship a new phone out.

Yeah, the usual talking points go out about the removable battery are BS IMHO. My wife had an 3 generations of I-phone and had a battery go with less than 3 months on her contract and had her battery replaced once and the other time they gave her a new phone. Of course she did originally purchase from the Apple store FWIW.

I would take a fixed battery all day if I didn't have to worry about either 1.) being within range of a charger or 2.) having to remember another battery and/or charging it (a bigger pain than some on here make it sound).

Upvote 0
Yeah, the usual talking points go out about the removable battery are BS IMHO. My wife had an 3 generations of I-phone and had a battery go with less than 3 months on her contract and had her battery replaced once and the other time they gave her a new phone. Of course she did originally purchase from the Apple store FWIW.

I would take a fixed battery all day if I didn't have to worry about either 1.) being within range of a charger or 2.) having to remember another battery and/or charging it (a bigger pain than some on here make it sound).

I agree with u with a fixed 3300mah battery I really don't see a problem with battery life to the point you would ever really need an extra battery . I had a 3500mah battery on my incredible and it would last 48-72 hours without a problem . We drove denver to Chicago(14hrs ish) with that battery streaming Pandora or MP3s where service wasn't available and using GPS and it still had over a third of the battery left when we arrived in town

Upvote 0
Can't say I haven't contemplated it. I've been having LTE radio issues on my Nexus and I have several times thought about returning it for a Rezound or Razr. But after almost a month of having my Nexus, I could never go back to a non-stock Android. I could never bring myself to go from ICS to a Sense or Motoblurred version of GB. And as far as the Maxx goes, I think its great but I also couldn't bring myself to buy an Android phone without a removable battery.

I used to be one of the stock android or die people, but after using other skins for so long( sense, blur, touchwiz) I actually like what the skins(minus sense) bring to the table. ICS is still really buggy and the nexus radio issues seem like it is more hardware since samsung has a history of poor radios. I will wait and see reviews but for me battery life>>> stock android all day because what good is a phone if it dies halfway through the day?

Upvote 0

Yup...I agree! Were probably in the minority here..(along with Jim) But I really love the whole sealed in battery thing, especially if its packin a lot of juice like the Maxx...

Also the whole fact that the phone is more solid with less moving parts. I honestly have no desire to take my phone out of its TPU case to start swapping batteries. If sealed in, solid, and packin more juice I'm all in...

Upvote 0
Yup...I agree! Were probably in the minority here..(along with Jim) But I really love the whole sealed in battery thing, especially if its packin a lot of juice like the Maxx...

Also the whole fact that the phone is more solid with less moving parts. I honestly have no desire to take my phone out of its TPU case to start swapping batteries. If sealed in, solid, and packin more juice I'm all in...

Plus I think once the lte radios get less battery hungry we may see more manufacturers go this route. I mean htc already has a few with non removable batteries so it would be nothing new.

Upvote 0
there seems to be only one selling point for the razr maxx vs the nexus...battery life. well the way i see it the biggest selling point of the maxx could become its biggest hindrance.

not having a removable battery will make people have to monitor their usage of this phone way closer than they would a phone with a removable/swappable battery. i have two slim extended batteries (2150mah) but usually make it through the day on one. the backup gives me the freedom to not even think about battery use. with the razr i'd be way more careful about battery use or risk being tethered waiting on a charge vs swapping in a battery and keeping it moving.

Upvote 0
there seems to be only one selling point for the razr maxx vs the nexus...battery life. well the way i see it the biggest selling point of the maxx could become its biggest hindrance.

not having a removable battery will make people have to monitor their usage of this phone way closer than they would a phone with a removable/swappable battery. i have two slim extended batteries (2150mah) but usually make it through the day on one. the backup gives me the freedom to not even think about battery use. with the razr i'd be way more careful about battery use or risk being tethered waiting on a charge vs swapping in a battery and keeping it moving.

The razr maxx battery is close to the same as your two batteries. You won't have to monitor your usage it will make it through a day with a battery that large.

Upvote 0

With that big of a battery like the one in the Maxx...A day should be no problem...

Upvote 0
With that big of a battery like the one in the Maxx...A day should be no problem...

Should be, but we don't know whether it will be. That said, I still can't comprehend how people would buy a phone with an outdated OS and an awkward body type (I had the RAZR for a week and I've never held a more uncomfortable phone in portrait mode) just to avoid having to grab an extra battery for those few occasions one is needed. On the OEM extended battery, I get 3 hours of screen on time plus lots of widgets syncing regularly over the course of 18-24 hours. How is that not sufficient for anyone who doesn't travel all day for work?

Upvote 0
Should be, but we don't know whether it will be. That said, I still can't comprehend how people would buy a phone with an outdated OS and an awkward body type (I had the RAZR for a week and I've never held a more uncomfortable phone in portrait mode) just to avoid having to grab an extra battery for those few occasions one is needed. On the OEM extended battery, I get 3 hours of screen on time plus lots of widgets syncing regularly over the course of 18-24 hours. How is that not sufficient for anyone who doesn't travel all day for work?

The thing of it is though if I go to work and then take clients to a game or dinner the phone will never last and that's important to me in case I am busy and forget to charge it, get phone calls mid charge, etc. (I have done this with a mid day charge and have been dead the game ended).

It would be nice for an overnight charge to be enough juice to last all day and night with maybe one possible charge. The ONE (ok maybe there is a couple) area where I am envious of the I-phone is the battery life. At least the 4.

I have not had the Razr so I am not really sure if I am going to like it. While I love ICS it is a tad buggy IMO (still the best) but there are a few other issues as well (random reboots, poor signal issues) that may be enought for me to make the change if I do enjoy the Razr.

Tough decision.

Upvote 0
Pretty easy fix if the battery goes bad! Just call VZW , talk to tech support...And they'll just ship a new phone out.

A new to you phone which is not ok to some people. They would rather keep their phone with another battery.

I personally still want a removable battery. On both my Droid and Galaxy Nexus, my battery lasts me a full weekday of my normal use which is only about 1-1.5hrs of screen time for browsing, txt messages, and emails. On a normal weekend day where I use my phone non-stop and am away from a charger, I could go through 3300 mAh from 6am-11pm. I'm talking a good 6 hours of screen time plus GPS and voice calls. Indeed, a removable battery is still a requirement for me, even with 3300 mAh. That's just me.

Upvote 0
I wouldn't say I'm in favor of a sealed battery as I'm a battery swapper I usually swap my battery at night and it will last me till the next night (usually 20-30hrs) on my standard battery . My phone hasn't seen a charger in over a week .
But if a sealed battery was the size of nearly two of my standard batteries I could live with it. The razor having a sealed battery is the main reason I choice the rezound over the razor and then the nexus over the razor

Upvote 0
^ same with me. a sealed battery just won't work for me, considering the current capacities. the razr is 3300mah, but i'd need at least 4000mah for it to be less of a concern. my two oem extended batteries are 4300mah total. enough that i never have to be concerned about charging or being plugged in.

The razr maxx battery is close to the same as your two batteries. You won't have to monitor your usage it will make it through a day with a battery that large.

i guess we'll have to see how the battery lasts with 'normal' use. esepcially after a few months of charge and drain cycles. when it eventually gets ics that may also impact battery life.

Upvote 0
" High performance cars use more gas. High performance phones use more battery"
- that just sold me on getting the galaxy and not the razr maxx.

There are high efficiency cars out there... usually in turbo trim and a good tune.

I got 32mpg out of a vw that I had... stock was 200 hp, but dyno was like 180... I dyno'd 278 after tuning and still got that on the freeway.

Sure if you dive into the gas pedal, it's going to be worse. Same is almost true for phones these days! Good tune (rom) and if you undervolt, etc.... you'll last a lot longer.

The razr max just has a larger gas tank, that's it compared to the og razr.

Upvote 0
There are high efficiency cars out there... usually in turbo trim and a good tune.

I got 32mpg out of a vw that I had... stock was 200 hp, but dyno was like 180... I dyno'd 278 after tuning and still got that on the freeway.

Sure if you dive into the gas pedal, it's going to be worse. Same is almost true for phones these days! Good tune (rom) and if you undervolt, etc.... you'll last a lot longer.

The razr max just has a larger gas tank, that's it compared to the og razr.

Good point gotta love a good tune. My stock 07 wrx got around 21mpg on the highway with probably under 200 whp after some upgrades and tune it's pushing 310whp 380wtq and I got 30mpg on a recent trip to Vegas from Denver and I get a mix of about 26mpg city/hwy
Just like my Nexus when I first got it I was getting about 8hrs on the battery now I get 20-30hrs good kernal and a 2100mah battery . Equivalent to a bigger turbo (battery) and a good tune lol

Upvote 0
I'd be tempted by the razr maxx if it was a razr maxx nexus... :eek: :D :p

===

I like the option of removing the battery... it's nice to have that final option of oblivion for the more serious crashes. However, hasn't been necessary except maybe once or twice with the GNex so far.

I also like removable storage, but don't think it really matters now that I'm used to the GNex... so maybe will get used to a fixed battery in the future anyways... if it makes a better phone possible, I'm ok with it being fixed in.

Upvote 0
I am surprised to see people calling ics a little buggy. There are a couple of minor hiccups but really nothing major affecting performance.

The nexus does chew through battery, but that's the price of a massive screen and 4G service. 4G uses so much more battery than 3G and most people just don't know it and blame the phone. At 10% brightness which is really plenty for me, and about 2-3 hours of screen on time, I can go from 7am to 11pm and still have plenty of juice when I plug back in.

As for the razr, its a nice phone but I wouldn't trade my nexus for 3 of them. The build is solid but I agree that it just feels blocky in my hand. Also, the screen isn't even in the same sport as the nexus let alone the same league. Sure it looks nice.... Until you see them side by side. Also, ics is so far superior to GB and there's no telling when moto will get around to updating the razrs.

the real killer though is moto's software.... My god, people complained about the 2 apps Verizon had on the nexus (1 of which is really useful), I want to smash my wife's razr whenever I open the app drawer. There must be 20-30 pieces of total crapware. I would never own this phone. Even rooted, from what I've read you can't even delete some of them without affecting the phone. You would almost have to root and install a custom Rom. I don't think I could ever own a non-nexus device again.

Upvote 0

I'd have to agree. My Xoom has a fixed battery, as have numerous other portable devices I've owned, and it's really a non-issue.

I feel the 3300mAh battery in the Maxx was an outstanding decision and would have loved if my GN had a similar setup, since the Maxx is roughly the same size as my GN. I'm actually disappointed that so many makes are worried about having the thinnest/lightest phone, when something like the Maxx is more than acceptable and quite comfortable. There is such thing as "too thin", IMO.

That said, I just don't like the look of the thing...at all. That goes for the rest of Moto's recent design direction, too. Either way, I'll make a bigger effort to grab something with better battery life, once the quad core devices release. At least there, the combined design architecture of the chips can exist alongside battery designs like this, to do something even more considerable.

Nice move by moto, though. I hope the rest of the industry takes notes.

Upvote 0
The Maxx will set the tone for bigger batteries in our huge screen 4g phones of today . I think the next Nexus will really focus on battery life also . All in all I'm good on battery life but I wouldn't be mad if I had more . As long as Verizon keeps getting Nexus phones I'll be buying them . I've never been more happy with a phone

Upvote 0
The nexus does chew through battery, but that's the price of a massive screen and 4G service. 4G uses so much more battery than 3G and most people just don't know it and blame the phone. At 10% brightness which is really plenty for me, and about 2-3 hours of screen on time, I can go from 7am to 11pm and still have plenty of juice when I plug back in.

Except if you have the Android OS awake problem. Then your phone will chew through 50% of the battery in 8 hours overnight on WiFi just sitting on your nightstand.

Actually, the Nexus is a little buggy and the battery life is a bit worse than other big screen 4G phones.

But I still won't go to a non-removable battery phone. Not because being able to remove the battery on a crash is important, because it just isn't to me. I've had a XOOM and now a GNex and I haven't once had to do a battery pull on my GNex and have never had a crash so bad on my XOOM that I wished I had a battery to pull (even with root, custom ROMs including ICS, and overclocking). I won't go to a removable battery because of the math in a few posts above mine. 2 batteries is more capacity than one big battery. Plus, mfg skins are gross to me.

Upvote 0
Except if you have the Android OS awake problem. Then your phone will chew through 50% of the battery in 8 hours overnight on WiFi just sitting on your nightstand.

Actually, my Android OS is under control now that I've cut out most of the syncing (other than contacts, gmail, etc). No Google+, photos, twitter, etc.

Though, last night Android System decided to have a party on my phone and keep the CPU awake for 8 hours..... not sure what the hell it was doing....besides killing my battery.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones